Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 04:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Eades has mentioned that his publisher suggested that all his information about early human diets and health be left out of PP, but he did add much of it to PP Lifestyle book. That has been his continuing interest and his talk in South Africa on Paleopathology and the Origins of Low Carb was very good (on DietDoctor membership site) and the new book is supposed to update discoveries in evolutionary health, etc.
LCFP...there was a post about his plans for new book about a year ago now? Had details of changes planned. Not just a simple edit job.

He is giving this talk again at Vail:

Quote:
Michael Eades, one of the true low-carb pioneers, on early humans, Egyptian mummies, and how low-carb got started. Many people found this the most interesting talk of the entire 2015 LCHF conference.

Table of contents
4:25 Generations in the Evolution of Humanity
7:45 The expensive tissue hypothesis
15:20 We didn’t evolve to eat meat – we evolved because we ate meat
23:40 Early modern human diet
34:50 The ancient Egyptian diet
40:00 What happened on the ancient Egyptian diet?
43:30 Arterial disease and obesity in ancient Egypt
47:02 Tooth disease
52:45 The ancient Egyptian low-fat diet

Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 20:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I was a low carb groupie in the elder days and attended a number of the first NMS conferences. I met and talked with a lot of the "regulars" and they were really nice friendly approachable and humble people, for the most part. Including Mike Eades. I've no idea why he upset people with his blog responses. I remember some of the ones that people objected to, but hey everyone has a bad day sometimes. If you get a chance to talk to him sometime I bet you'd change your opinion.

Plus PP is the book I read to introduce me to LC, and I still think it was the best introduction compared to the others available at the time. I expect version 2 to be great. And thanks for the info JEY, I'll track down that video.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 00:43
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I don't have anything personal against the man. I liked the book obviously. I simply chose not to read his blog anymore, which is not any big deal to either of us I'm sure.

But it means that I'm rather out of touch with whatever might be going on in his corner of the world is all. Thanks for the notes. I'm sure he's a good guy at heart.

PJ
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 07:00

Univ of Alabama at Birmingham researcher adds his analysis.

http://www.uab.edu/news/innovation/...fic-credibility

Quote:

Researchers suggest U.S. Dietary Guidelines lack scientific credibility By Bob Shepard

The methods used to gather data for the U.S. Dietary Guidelines are flawed and should be discarded, researchers say.
plate questionThe methods used to base decision-making for the Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee are inherently and fatally flawed, according to findings from a researcher at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

In a recent presentation to a special session of President Barack Obama’s Council of Advisers on Science and Technology titled “Strengthening the U.S. Dietary Recommendations through Enhanced Nutritional Science,” Edward Archer, Ph.D., an obesity theorist and research fellow with the UAB School of Public Health, told the council the primary method used to gather information for the guidelines is scientifically invalid, and funding for this method should be discontinued.

Archer says the guidelines are primarily informed by memory-based dietary assessment methods, known as M-BMs, which typically consist of interviews and surveys that require study participants to remember and report their dietary intake.

“Most of the data analyses conducted by the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee used the M-BMs of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey dietary component, ‘What We Eat in America,’” Archer said. “Relying on M-BMs to inform dietary policy continues despite decades of unequivocal evidence that M-BM data bear little relation to actual energy and nutrient consumption. Data from M-BMs are defended as valid and valuable despite no empirical support and no examination of the foundational assumptions regarding the validity of human memory and retrospective recall in dietary assessment.”

Archer and co-authors Greg Pavela, Ph.D., assistant professor in the UAB School of Public Health, and Carl Lavie, M.D., professor of medicine at the John Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute in New Orleans and Ochsner Clinical School at The University of Queensland School of Medicine, published a paper in June 2015 in Mayo Clinic Proceedings laying out their arguments. In that article, they suggested that uncritical faith in the validity and value of M-BMs has wasted substantial resources and constitutes the greatest impediment to scientific progress in obesity and nutritional research.

The paper presented five arguments for rejecting the use of M-BMs.
M-BM estimates of energy intake and nutrient intake have trivial relationships with actual energy intake and nutrient intake.
The assumption that human memory and recall provide literal, accurate or precise reproductions of past ingestive behavior is indisputably false.
M-BMs require participants to submit to protocols that mimic procedures known to induce false recall.
Memories, from which M-BM data are derived, are subjective and are not subject to independent observation, quantification or falsification; therefore, these data are pseudoscientific and inadmissible in scientific research.
The failure to objectively measure and control for physical activity in analyses renders inferences regarding most diet-health relationships moot.
In a follow-up in Mayo Clinic Proceedings published in December 2015, Archer and his colleagues argue that nutrition epidemiologists have ignored the empirical refutation of M-BM for decades.

“We think that our nation’s dietary guidelines should not be based on the pseudoscientific and highly edited anecdotes of M-BMs. To continue to do so is an impediment to scientific progress and empirically supported public nutrition and obesity policy.”
“We think that our nation’s dietary guidelines should not be based on the pseudoscientific and highly edited anecdotes of M-BMs,” Archer said. “To continue to do so is an impediment to scientific progress and empirically supported public nutrition and obesity policy.”

Archer and the co-authors also suggests that the U.S. food supply and the nutritional status of Americans have improved to a level unparalleled in human history, indicating that the American diet is no longer a significant risk factor for disease for most individuals.

“We assert that research efforts and funding of M-BMs and diet-health research are misdirected, and argue that those resources would be better targeted to the most prevalent disease of deficiency of the 21st century: inactivity — consisting of a lack of physical activity and exercise, along with high levels of sedentary behavior,” Archer said. “We conclude that M-BM data cannot be used to inform national dietary guidelines, and that continued funding of M-BMs constitutes an unscientific and major misuse of research resources.”

The research was supported by a grant from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, part of the National Institutes of Health.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 07:47
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

That was a super exciting article, right up until they said that we were more nutritionally replete than ever and that the problem was lack of exercise.

PJ
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 07:55
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
That was a super exciting article, right up until they said that we were more nutritionally replete than ever and that the problem was lack of exercise.

PJ

My thoughts, exactly. Did they back those statements up with scientifically based evidence or was it just a hunch?
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 08:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:

PJ

Auuugghhhh!

I am no stranger to exercise. 45 minutes of cardio on the mountain climbing machine, 45 minutes of floor exercises (though I like those and intend to bring them back as my health improves) every morning with 26 grams of fat and 1200 calories a day, and...

NOTHING.

I kept piling on weight. It was the crisis that led to me doing Atkins. Which was the right thing all along.

I'd like to sentence them to such a regimen every morning. See how they do.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 10:32

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Archer and the co-authors also suggests that the U.S. food supply and the nutritional status of Americans have improved to a level unparalleled in human history, indicating that the American diet is no longer a significant risk factor for disease for most individuals.

I would take issue with this statement as well. Are they serious? This is the best we can do?
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 10:42

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:

PJ

Agree. This was a great article until the conclusions. They were critiquing the guidelines based on the lack of science behind them and then they end with 2 statements totally without scientific backing, that our nutrition is great but we are too sedentary. Blech!

Jean
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-15, 09:18

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

I was sailing along, cheering the article, and my brain did a kind of a stutter-step at the end.

Then it struck me. I'd rather have chaos and no big-brother guidance above having the 'fat is bad', 'carbs are everyone's friend', 'red meat will kill you' that is hanging over our heads now. At least if there were no rules, the doctors and nutritionists who would like to suggest/recommend LC or LCHF to their patients could do so with less fear of reprisal.

Heck, if chaos was acknowledged, maybe research would get better ..... like, maybe someone would run an LC study where carbs were actually *gasp* low.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-15, 06:49

Well, I'm confused. A rider demanding better science from the DGAC was inserted into the Budget Bill, with 30 days to have the National Academy of Medicine involved. But January 2016 is the expected date for the 2015 guidelines? There is nothing yet on the USDA blog nor a press release. Can't find more of this statement quoted.

Washington Post yesterday: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-for-americans/

Quote:
Concerned about the integrity of the nation’s nutrition advice, Congress is calling for a comprehensive review of the way the influential Dietary Guidelines for Americans is compiled.

The measure, which passed the House and Senate as part of the massive budget bill, sets aside $1 million for the National Academy of Medicine to conduct the study.

“Questions have been raised about the scientific integrity of the process in developing the dietary guidelines and whether balanced nutritional information is reaching the public,” according to language that accompanying the bill. “The entire process used to formulate and establish the guidelines needs to be reviewed before future guidelines are issued.”

"I hope this will make sure that the Dietary Guidelines are science-based," said Rep. Collin C. Peterson (D-Minn.), ranking member of the House Agriculture Committee, one of the committees overseeing the Dietary Guidelines. "They keep changing so much I'm not sure how many of the American people pay attention to it anymore."

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, updated every five years by the federal government, has far reaching effects on what Americans eat, shaping the contents of school meals and military rations and serving as the scientific basis for reams of diet claims made in newspapers, magazines, and advice books.

Nutrition science has been in turmoil in recent years, however, and this year, Post stories examined the scientific disagreements over the positions the Dietary Guidelines have taken on salt, whole milk and saturated fat, cholesterol, as well as the health implications of skipping breakfast. The stories also explored the recommendations regarding coffee and the environmental impacts of meat production, made by the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, the expert group providing information to the government.

The bill calls for the Department of Agriculture to, within 30 days, hire the National Academy of Medicine to conduct a comprehensive study that includes an analysis of how the Dietary Guidelines can better prevent chronic disease, how evidence is assembled and evaluated, and whether a full range of viewpoints are considered.

"At a minimum, the process should include: full transparency, a lack of bias, and the inclusion and consideration of all of the latest available research and scientific evidence, even that which challenges current dietary recommendations," according to the language accompanying the measure.

A statement from a USDA spokesperson said "we look forward to furthering our work with the Institute of Medicine to continue to ensure that the guidelines help Americans make their own informed choices about their diets and create a roadmap for preventing diet-related health conditions, like obesity, diabetes and heart disease.”

"Since 1980, families, nutrition and health professionals across the nation have looked to the Departments of Health and Human Services and Agriculture for science-based dietary guidelines to serve as a framework for nutritious eating," the statement said.

The next Dietary Guidelines for Americans - they have come out every five years since 1980 - is scheduled to be released in January. Under the legislation, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell are required to ensure that any revisions to the guidelines are "based on significant scientific agreement."

The publication is largely the work of the federal bureaucracy and the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, a 15-member panel of experts. Updating it at five years intervals is a daunting task that falls to a relatively small group of people. Nutrition science evolves rapidly, and over the course of a year of meetings, the advisory committee is called upon to review hundreds of dense - and sometimes conflicting -scientific papers. Extracting sound diet recommendations from all the research information is both arduous and, arguably, confusing.

While the guidelines have evolved as scientific understanding grows, critics charge that it has moved far too slowly, most notably with regard to saturated fats, which are the fats characteristic of meats and dairy products.

"This is important because it's the first time Congress has noted there is a problem with the Dietary Guidelines process," said David McCarron, research associate at the Department of Nutrition at the University of California-Davis. He is the incoming chair of the medical nutrition council at the American Society of Nutrition and sits on a scientific advisory board at ConAgra Foods. "There’s a lot of stuff in the guidelines that was right forty years ago but that science has disproved. Unfortunately, sometimes, the scientific community doesn’t like to backtrack."

The Hill: http://thehill.com/regulation/healt...isory-committee

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Dec-19-15 at 14:46.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-15, 10:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Well, I'm confused. A rider demanding better science from the DGAC was inserted into the Budget Bill, with 30 days to have the National Academy of Medicine involved. But January 2016 is the expected date for the 2015 guidelines? There is nothing yet on the USDA blog nor a press release. Can't find more of this statement quoted.

Quote:
Unfortunately, sometimes, the scientific community doesn’t like to backtrack.

That is the essence of the problem. When will people learn their brains are not, after all, made of concrete?

They like being updated with new information! Brains really do!
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-15, 11:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This is the quote that causes concern:
Quote:
"The next Dietary Guidelines for Americans - they have come out every five years since 1980 - is scheduled to be released in January. Under the legislation, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell are required to ensure that any revisions to the guidelines are "based on significant scientific agreement."

So, is the basic assumption used here that the current guidelines are a solid foundation of nutritional guidance and that any subsequent changes must be based on agreed upon scientific fact? Shouldn't that have been done in the first place? And good luck with the "based on significant scientific agreement." Sorry to be a naysayer, but it looks like this circus will continue for quite a while with all the winds of disagreement and factions vested emotionally and financially in specific outcomes. It's become a very dangerous territory when our health guidelines are solely determined by politics. When will we encounter a situation when not following the recommended guidelines becomes a punishment? The ACA is set up nicely to do just that!
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-15, 11:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
When will we encounter a situation when not following the recommended guidelines becomes a punishment? The ACA is set up nicely to do just that!

The ACA also has a provision that treatments have to show that they create measurable health improvements. Which gives me hope.

All sorts of cardiac options, like stents and bypasses, don't improve matters, for instance. But everyone just thought they did!
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 21:19

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC FP
At the end of the comment section Dr. Eades mentions he and Mary Dan are working on Protein Power 2.0. Oh God, I can't wait---

Years ago I found the bibliography of PP and then PPLP. It was interesting to note that PP (written in 1995) had some 450 references AND that PPLP (written 5 years later) also had around 450 references. BUT in PPLP essentially half of the references were written after 1995 - replacing older ones. The Eades were keeping up with the current research and I expect that they will do so again.