Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 15:03
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Janj, I haven't ordered from USWellness yet. But I have been out and looked at their product line closely and their prices. I'm getting my first 50# GF Beef order on the 22nd from a panhandle farmer that came highly recommended. Much better prices and even better yet, Temple is on his delivery run! If we like his beef, I plan to order some of his GF pork, bacon, lamb and goat as well.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 15:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My take on my W30 journey...

Like Jan, I did not experience any more get up and go but do believe that is because we have been low carb for some time.

I did enjoy the addition of fruit that I otherwise avoided. I had a full peach nearly every day, or an orange.... and today have had two dark plums. A couple of days I had strawberries and blackberries in addition to the peach!

I had no cravings and no hunger other than one day. I freely used my homemade mayo, added coconut oil to stirfry and tried out clarified butter (nawwww).

I ate higher carb veggies more often than I normally would.

I did miss using some of my s/f syrups and almond milk.

I always meant to track one day but did not...however...I do know that I was eating much higher carb than normal and I lost 7.6 lbs.

I really like eating this way...it was not a huge change for me anyhow...I will add back in some sweeteners and my almond milk....will not run from a pat of butter here and there and may have a bit of cheese occasionally. Maybe.

I will be interested to see if I do lose anymore.

I feel very good, very clean....never any blote. It has been interesting.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 15:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/133/128 Female 152
BF:
Progress:

That's some pretty nice results Serea.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 15:51

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
Janj, I haven't ordered from USWellness yet. But I have been out and looked at their product line closely and their prices. I'm getting my first 50# GF Beef order on the 22nd from a panhandle farmer that came highly recommended. Much better prices and even better yet, Temple is on his delivery run! If we like his beef, I plan to order some of his GF pork, bacon, lamb and goat as well.

You must be getting your meat from Alan at Paidom. I bought his meat at least 5 years when I lived in Houston. While I've found some good grass fed meat (and some not so good grass fed meat) in WA, I have yet to find anyone who has the quality Alan has for the price. I may end up ordering from him yet. Even with the shipping cost, he's competitive with the folks up here.

I like his beef, but I like the lamb and pork even better. I tried to order cabrito once or twice, but he was out. I didn't like his bacon as well as Whole Foods applewood smoked.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 15:56

Thanks, Jan and Serea, for your takes on Whole 30. I'm still having trouble with the idea of giving up my 2 T of cream and my 2 oz of cheese each day. The rest I'm fine with. I only have artificial sweeteners maybe once a week, also in iced tea. I too have cut back a bit on my fat, mostly to allow for more protein.

Serea, 7.6 lbs! That's amazing....in only one month? After maintaining your weight for several years? You must be beside yourself!
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 17:27

BF:

I actually go up and down from the weight that I have posted..but I never change it as I refuse to live by a number....I have mentioned before that I never would have posted my weight if I could have avoided it. Not that I don't want others to know, it just is not a thing that I focus on.

I was glad (very glad) to lose that as I had gone up since being not as active. What will be interesting is if I continue to lose....my best losses on average always was not over 1 lb a week...that was best!

Yes, it was a very nice result Red, thanks for saying so By the way, I love your blog.

Liz, of course it is not for everyone...if it would be a stressor to you...why do it? Do what you are comfortable with. I would not have lasted if I was craving something.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 18:04

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Hi folks,

I just came home from a delightful day of quilting with friends, and now it's time for dinner. I received the following post, and I think it's quite worthwhile to watch.

"PLEASE WATCH , doesn't matter if D or R!

Guess we all chose the wrong profession!

This is a good one to watch no matter which side you favor. Neither Democrat or Republican. Hold on to your HATS; this video is unbelievevable. This 3 minute and 40 second video clip may be the most important clip you have ever watched. This is probably the most intelligent presentation of truth you have seen in a long time. Please take the time to view this clip and then share it with others!"

Click to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?...player_embedded
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by serea~
Liz, of course it is not for everyone...if it would be a stressor to you...why do it? Do what you are comfortable with. I would not have lasted if I was craving something.

I think you are right. It would be a stressor for me right now. I do think it's probably a good program, and perhaps sometime in the future (like January 1). But not now.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 20:38

BF:

Liz...you know how when someone says "what is a good form of exercise for me" ?...the answer to that is ....."do the one that you WILL do"....I think that our way of eating has to be just that....the one that we WILL do. I know that seems very simplistic, but I find it to be true in so many things in life.

I fit into the LC way of eating because it was something that I could do, it was not much of an effort....when I saw the W30 ...it was a natural progression for me. For me, it was/is not hard nor does it make me feel that I am missing out on anything. I know that I think this way because of my age mostly. I am at the stage in my life where, if possible, I will not deny myself anything that is reasonable for my health and my happiness.

Have a good evening everyone....
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 22:16

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, Serea, and I feel the same way about LC - it just seems natural to me, similar to how we ate before all food was processed. Since becoming familiar with W30, I've been investigating it and considering: would I rather have fruit or would I rather have small amounts of dairy? I always vote for cream in my coffee and cheese seems to be the best snack for me.

Other than the dairy, there's not much I eat that's not paleo, so it's not a BIG leap for me, just one I don't think is right for me at this time. I know I can do Atkins, so for now, I'll probably just stick with real food-based Atkins.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 04:32

Plan: Primal/Paleo Atkins
Stats: 197.5/126/132 Female 63
BF:19.4%
Progress: 109%

Good morning, Labrats!

I agree with Serea's advice, Liz. Added stresses are not needed and we have to do what works for our wellbeing.

The temperature has dropped here and it feels like autumn. Too early!
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 05:36

BF:

Good morning

We are having our chilly nights and mornings, but lovely afternoons...it is only 54 right now but should get up to mid 70's. I would love this weather to continue for a very long time. Problem is ..... winter follows this.

I am going to get my coffee and listen to your link Sherry.

Have a good day.....
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 05:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Like Liz, I am still holding on to some dairy, though coconut cream in coffee is OK. But Jan and Serea, you have had amazing losses considering you have been low carb for so long, are near (or now below) goal, and likely increased vegetable/fruit carbs. The only way to find out if it has to do with the bovine hormones and insulin effect of dairy is for me to bite the bullet and finally, completely eliminate it. Though as Jan mentioned, maybe just the fat calories gone from it benefits Mark Sisson started a 21 day challenge..I am so Paleo already, no dairy should be my goal. Both your results are fabulous and so encouraging.

The other benefit I see to Whole30 is the pure real food rule...no paleo pancakes, or those darn MIMs. Anything beyond meat, veg and a few spices (Robb Wolf's Food Matrix) is a slippery slope indeed if still wanting to lose pounds (and like serea, I have a few to return to the low stated in my profile :-) Set-points are for real
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 06:59
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Good morning everyone.

It always tickles me when you guys talk about grass feed beef. That is all we have here. The cows are Brahma, and the grass is tough and makes the milk and meat taste way different than American beef and milk. There is little to no fat on the animals so to cook ground hamburger, I always add ground pork. We can buy US beef, but at $20 for one small ribeye, I'll pass. Luckily for us, the chicken and pork is very good.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 07:24

Stats: 236/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Good morning all. Got back from my trip last night and was exhausted. Check in this morning and a new thread!

Just a quick scan and seems like you all are doing okay. Love reading everyone's posts. Miss Lois, Blue, Lab. Have they left? That would be sad.

Had a wonderful time. Saw parts of this country that I never saw before. So beautiful. Lots of small towns, beautiful topography. Very nice people. Just love to travel. Could do it full time!

Ate well but lots of food out and can tell way that I ate way to much salt. Not added, it's what they put in. Very puffy but know I will be losing water like crazy the next few days.

Feel like it's time to get serious about weight and exercise.Still not willing to give up my cream but will lower calories. Temps here are finally in the 80s and will be much more enjoyable for me.

For months because of all the stress and grief, I can't say I cared all that much. I mean I would think about it, even re-read Atkins but not super serious. Was happy that I mostly maintained but now I feel like I need to "man up" and work real hard on getting it done.

Glad to read of some losses, sorry that a couple of you-Red and Eliza-are dealing with pain (can't remember if there was anyone else, sorry).

With Fall approaching, I start to think of the holidays ahead. Surprisingly, I am not worried. Last year I went crazy with low carb desserts, very worried about not being able to resist. This year, not worried at all. Feel no threat from the abundance of foods around. Of course it helps not to be working. I won't have platefuls of treats in my face all day long.

I love this time of year. Summer really zaps me. I find the heat of the afternoons deplorable. Takes all my energy. To see that the highs will only be in the 80s makes me feel just wonderful.

Haha. Time to get my tunes ready! The "Rat Pack," and other tunes from the 40s are my favorite choices for this time of year.

Great to be back. Have a great day everyone!
Closed Thread