Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 08:36

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

OK, how's this?

Breakfast was 2 eggs scrambled soft in 2 Tablespoons of butter (licked the plate!). Lunch will be a whey protein shake (17 grams protein) with 3/4 cup heavy cream. That's 1,050 calories with 80% fat! Not sure if I'll even be hungry for dinner.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 08:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
I hope those 500 calories are 80% protein, otherwise he will lose lean mass and not just fat.

Patrick

Strangely, although you'd think it works that way, it doesn't seem to. I personally know several people who do this and because of the hcg, they don't seem to lose muscle mass. They're all strong and are able to do strength training and HIIT, for example. One woman started out near 400 pounds, and she's at around 220 now. Obviously she's lost a little muscle (this is typical because you don't need as much muscle to carry around 220 pounds as you do to carry around 400 pounds). She's in great shape and has great stamina.

BUT, I would rather this thread NOT turn into a debate about hcg. I mentioned it in passing. If you want to debate hcg (which is fine by me), let's do it over in the War Zone or somewhere, not here.

THANKS!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 08:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
I hope those 500 calories are 80% protein, otherwise he will lose lean mass and not just fat.
Well the whole outcome of the Evans and Strang experiement was that the people did lose weight, even over 100 pounds, without losing any lean mass, they only lost fat. But the key was adequate protein which they said needed to be higher in people losing weight than people maintaining. My son's intake is 40g of carbohydrate carbs and the rest in protein, no added fat intake as this diet is supposed to mobilize your body's fat-burning mechanism so you consume your own body fat without consuming any lean mass.

But any way you look at it, a bare-naked poached chicken breast still looks like deprivation food to me. (Sorry, not meaning to hijack this thread)
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 09:08
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Aren't we supposed to be suggesting good ideas and providing support for someone who wants to get her fat intake up to 80% of her daily calories?

Perhaps we should get back on target - I was enjoying some of the ideas people were sharing (being an 80-percenter myself).
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 09:32

BF:

Me, too! Me, too! It was me who started the thread. I had mentioned hcg in passing, then someone else picked up on it, and another commented on it, and the second person responded.

Phew!

Let's get back to talking about how eating lots of fat will help me lose lots of fat!

#51   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 09:54

BF:

At present I am not counting anything, so have no idea about my current caloric or fat intakes or percentages. But when I was tracking pretty faithfully for a while my fat percentage seemed to regularly land in about the 80% range without me doing anything to manipulate it to be there, and as I recall my calories seemed to land in about the 1700-2100 range - though sometimes they dipped as low as about 1100, and sometimes went well over 3000.

I'm trying to think what I ate! Breakfast was usually an omelet with cheese and maybe some veggies. Adding half an avocado to the omelet was yummy and helped bump up the fat, and I usually cooked some bacon as a side. I put either heavy cream or coconut oil in my morning decaf or coffee.

Lunches were pretty boring, but they would often be a can of sardines packed in olive oil. If no avocado for breakfast I would often have one with my lunch.

Dinners would be things like chicken with the skin on and crisped, hamburger, slow-cooked chuck steak, pork loin, ribs...I'm not a salad fan, but I did enjoy some veggies sauteed in bacon grease or chicken fat.

I admit to having a sweet tooth, so I would often melt some 70-90% chocolate with coconut oil, and then stir in some nut butter (either almond or macadamia butter) and would even stir in a scoop of protein powder - then drop into mini-muffin paper cups and chill, for a quick sweet snack that was pretty LC and high-fat.

You say you love crackers. I love these crackers:
http://www.marysgonecrackers.com/pr...p?products_id=1
Not super-low carb, but gluten free, and 6-7 of them would not blow my carb numbers for the day. I used to love them topped with a nice pat of butter and then either some cheese or some liverwurst, adding some fat there too.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 10:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I admit to having a sweet tooth, so I would often melt some 70-90% chocolate with coconut oil, and then stir in some nut butter (either almond or macadamia butter) and would even stir in a scoop of protein powder - then drop into mini-muffin paper cups and chill, for a quick sweet snack that was pretty LC and high-fat.

I do this, too! I've named my recipe "Heaven." I use 1 cup coconut oil, 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup sugar-free peanut butter (crunchy or smooth), and 1/4 cup sugar-free French vanilla DaVinci syrup. Pour into mini-muffin pans with paper liners.

How big are those crackers? The box says 18 ECC for 13 crackers, or about 1.5 ECC per cracker. I would love to find a substitute for regular crackers. Pork rinds are good, but sometimes I'd like something crunchy to put a bit of cheese on.

For those of you who eat brie, do you just slice some off and eat it plain?
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 10:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
How big are those crackers? The box says 18 ECC for 13 crackers, or about 1.5 ECC per cracker.
For those of you who eat brie, do you just slice some off and eat it plain?
The crackers are maybe sliightly smaller in diameter than a Ritz cracker, but thinner, and very crunchy! The flavored ones are good too, but I usually stick with the plain if I buy them, as then I can top them with something sweeter if I want, like a nut butter, whereas the other flavors are more savory.

As for brie, yes I just slice some off and eat it plain. Yum.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 14:17

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

I just did surgery on a Chicken Alfredo Manicotti recipe to try to make it as high fat as possible. Can anybody guess if it's close to 80%?

I haven't plugged it into Fitday so I have no idea, but I still think it sounds good.

It also no longer is a Manicotto recipe.

here's my revised version:

Chicken Cheese Alfredo
• Cooked chopped chicken about 2.5 cups
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 3 large cloves of crushed garlic
• 2 cups heavy whipping cream
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 teaspoon salt
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute garlic very gently. Remove. Add heavy cream, salt, nutmeg, and ground black pepper, and stir until sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low. Add grated Parmesan cheese, and stir until the cheese melts. Set Alfredo sauce aside.
• 2 cups ricotta cheese
• 1 egg
• 2 Tbsp dried parsley
• Sprinkle of nutmeg
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• In a large bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, egg, parsley, nutmeg and basil. Mix in cooked chicken.
Put into casserole dish and bake at 350 degree F (175 degree C) until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 14:25

BF:

Yikes! It sure sounds high-fat to me ... and certainly yummy! Why don't you try it and let us know how it tastes. Maybe someone has the time to plug it into FitDay. I would, but I have a million things to do this evening.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 14:47

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Why eating fat preserves muscle tissue. Fat is ketogenic. The little buggers, ketones, is the body's means of preserving muscle mass during famine. When the body is flooded in ketone bodies, it is protected from the ravages of normal everyday wear and tear. Ketones reduce inflamation, strengthens blood vessels and organ tissues. Ketones enhances immunity and is excellent in providing needed energy. Ketones aid in the absorption of nutrients. Ketones also improves the body's ability to absorb AND burn calories. As the body becomes more efficient at using ketones, you will show no signs of ketosis even when you are using an increased level of fats.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 17:03

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
OK, how's this?

Breakfast was 2 eggs scrambled soft in 2 Tablespoons of butter (licked the plate!). Lunch will be a whey protein shake (17 grams protein) with 3/4 cup heavy cream. That's 1,050 calories with 80% fat! Not sure if I'll even be hungry for dinner.

That sounds good. Are the whey protein shakes flavored?
Like I mentioned earlier I have been hitting 80% since Tuesday and am down 2 pounds as of today. I had been stuck all of Feb and so far this month at the same weight but oddly while remaining low carb my jeans were getting too tight in the thighs. My suspicion is that I was overeating protein because my calories never went over 1500 and I eat VLC. What filled me up today was egg salad made with 2 yolks, 1 whole egg, bacon bits and a mix of bacon grease and mayo. As a side I had a few pork rinds for crunch.
So simple but yet so filling and satisfying. This new approach has given me hope that I can finally lost this weight.
Also I was doing intense weight lifting and interval cardio workouts but now I have (temporarily) switched to just some moderate walking and toning exercise. I think this may help as I am not as hungry with this type of exercise. I do plan on going back to the prior workouts when I get to goal as I believe weights are key to recomping the body and giving us strong bones.
Best wishes!
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 17:10
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

ooooh, that chicken alfdredo sounds heavenly! One stupid question: Do you pour the sauce over the individual servings once it is on the plate?
Or do you bake it with the rest of the stuff?

I might have to give this one a try!

As for fat, sounds good, may want to use whole milk mozzarella and check the ricotta to make sure it isn't a lowfat one.
And hopefully not just chicken breast - at least some thigh meat, if not all.

#59   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 20:41

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oh, just thought of another super-fatty, yummy thing... I like to make buffalo chicken wings (wings are pretty fatty) and I dip them in mayo mixed with Lousiana hot-sauce, blue cheese is the traditional and I'd do that but I don't really eat dairy (or shouldn't). I've done the same sort of thing using pork ribs too. Nummy! Hmm... maybe I should cook up a batch of ribs.

mayo + louisiana hot sauce-- LOVE THIS. used to eat it with taquitos all the time, now i just eat it with chicken-- awesome.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 22:22

Plan: Low carb and hCG
Stats: 187/180/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Red face

Bawdy,
Do you allow yourself low carb tortillas on your diet? I found that you can cut them into cracker shapes and bake them at about 400 degrees for 8 or 10 minutes and they make a good cracker. I've been ordering whole wheat low carb tortillas (big ones) (from Santa Fe, NM) at 7 net grams per tortilla and each one makes about 1 1/2 dozen crackers. Even with Fed Ex charges, they are cheaper than buying them at the grocery store.

edited: I just noticed you are now on the carnivore diet, so I guess "no crackers for you." Besides, I noticed that when I have them around, I tend to eat too much.

Last edited by jbmoore : Fri, Mar-19-10 at 22:30.