Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 08:16
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The extraordinary increase in Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and ALS can be traced to the increase in statin use.
It would be helpful if you could provide a link to some evidence to support the claim that statin use increase Alzheimer's. Two recent observational studies have demonstrated a 60-73% reduction in the prevalence of Alzheimer's disease in patients treated with statins.

Quote:
Yes, it lowers inflammation. But it also interferes with the most basic cell processes, in every organ of the body.

There are far better ways to reduce inflammation.
AGREED.
The sooner a cooling inflammation program is started the better.

If you live in an area of high-risk for bush fires would it be a smart idea to impregnate every part of you home with pro-inflammatory materials?

The Wanker's here are those refusing to see the sheer reckless stupidity of doing exactly that with their own bodies.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

'It was people like you who 30 yrs ago when it was first muted that vitamin D prevented MS and reduced the incidence of MS relapse and progression, who recommended waiting for further research before correcting known deficiency states, who are responsible for many people suffering more pain and MS progression than was necessary.'

I have a friend who has MS. Also, my next door neighbor has MS. I'm so glad to know that no one else has to get MS now that THAT mystery has been solved!
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 10:18

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
It would be helpful if you could provide a link to some evidence to support the claim that statin use increase Alzheimer's.

I'm going by the expertise of Dr. Duane Graveline, NASA doctor and outspoken anti-statin crusader:

http://www.spacedoc.net/alzheimers_statins.htm

The research quoted there is no longer cutting edge; he's had to retire that website because he now has ALS. Which he believes is because of his prior statin use. I understand there's a increase in ALS among the elderly.

http://content.karger.com/produkted...ED2005025003144

And those in northern latitudes.

Since I regard the cholesterol theory of heart disease thoroughly debunked from the moment it was revealed that Ancel Keys selectively cherry picked his research, a powerful drug to combat this can only be a lose-lose scenario.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 12:28

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hutch, thank you ! I got this : Doctor’s Best High Absorption Magnesium (200 mg – 240 Tablets
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 12:39
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

I lost your thead, wereBear. I'm wondering how coconut milk doesn't prevent AD in Thailand - it's a part of Thai cuisine.

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/in...ts/cocmilk.html
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 15:39

BF:

Oh, by "thread" you mean the gist of my argument?

I don't know enough about Thai culture to hazard a guess. I don't know their carbohydrate status for instance; wasn't there something about Alzheimer's being like "diabetes of the brain" in this very discussion?

My point is that coconut oil is helping one person who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and it is theorized that it is because chemical activity is enabled by this particular type of fat; damaged in some as yet unknown way.

When you have a highly prescribed drug, like statins, which is expressly designed to disrupt a key aspect of fat metabolism; I'd be stunned if it did not have other effects other than the obvious one of lowering someone's cholesterol score.

For instance, it should be well known that statins disrupt CoQ10 production, and it should be supplemented. Who knows what else it is doing in people?
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 17:05
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
I have a friend who has MS. Also, my next door neighbor has MS. I'm so glad to know that no one else has to get MS now that THAT mystery has been solved!
So you think your friend and your neighbour with MS keep 25(OH)D above 50ng/ml or even better around 80ng/ml?
No I'm sure like most UK MS patients they have the same 25(OH)D deficiency status or worse than the rest of the UK population.

But we've know for 30yrs of the role of Vitamin D in MS we just don't apply that knowledge

Higher 25-hydroxyvitamin D is associated with lower relapse risk in multiple sclerosis.

With people like you involved fiddling while Rome burns nothing ever gets done to put the results of research into practice.

So how much of a friend and neighbour are you?

Are you going to explain to your friend/neighbour what the latest research shows?
I doubt it.
I'm sure you'd rather wait another 30yrs and watch them suffer relapse after relapse and then say "I could have told you correcting vitamin D deficiency may have prevented some of that needless suffering."

There is more money to be made treating disease and chronic pain than preventing it.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 17:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I'm going by the expertise of Dr. Duane Graveline, NASA doctor and outspoken anti-statin crusader:

http://www.spacedoc.net/alzheimers_statins.htm

The research quoted there is no longer cutting edge; he's had to retire that website because he now has ALS. Which he believes is because of his prior statin use. I understand there's a increase in ALS among the elderly.

http://content.karger.com/produkted...ED2005025003144

And those in northern latitudes.[/QUOTE] While I don't want to appear to be a supporter of statin use or imply anything that would encourage anyone to use statins I don't think the evidence you have cited is sufficient to justify your claims. If ALS, Parkinsons and Alzheimer's were related to statin use the associations would grow larger over the years and this simply hasn't happened.
Quote:
Since I regard the cholesterol theory of heart disease thoroughly debunked from the moment it was revealed that Ancel Keys selectively cherry picked his research, a powerful drug to combat this can only be a lose-lose scenario.
I agree the cholesterol hypothesis is flawed but this is only indirectly associated with the increase in Alzheimer's. It may be because people are eating a low fat more refined carbohydrate diet they are more vulnerable to Alzheimer's but I don't think think statin use is directly responsible for Alzheimer's increase as the evidence, such as it is, points in the other direction.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 17:34

BF:

I know there was hope about statins serving as a way of helping Alzheimer's, if only through the lowered inflammation factor. And I agree; the high sugar/low fat diet could be a very serious factor in Alzheimer's; more people are simply living long enough to get it, also.

I'm thinking specifically of Dr. Graveline's first book, Lipitor, Thief of Memory, which he explains how statins disrupt the brain's functioning.

I've found his reasoning both haunting and insidious. If there's anyone who will dismiss memory problems and aches & pains, it's middle aged/older people and their doctors. Who happen to be the target audience for statins.

Forgive me if I'm a bit of a nut on the subject. It all started ten years ago, when my Aunt was dying of cancer; and we discovered she was still taking Lipitor. We convinced her it was a moot point now, and they stopped.

She got back some of her appetite, a lot of her concentration, and all of her walking ability. Getting off Lipitor gave her a few months of being present and mobile before the inevitable happened.

So what is it doing to others?