Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:46
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddas
I think I'm not expressing myself well here! I'm not asking Nancy to prove anything, I'm talking about most rather than all, as in most people can't gain eating lc even when in calorie excess.. that's all!
We really don't know. It's certainly not true for me. It might be more true for men than for women.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 16:47

Plan: protien power
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

I can't speak as a post-menopausal woman, but I can speak as a peri-menopausal 42 yo woman. I really think hormones trump all. Estrogen wants us fat, especially in the boobs, hips and thighes. And it turns out this weight is good for us, to an extent. But I have been hfvlc for a very long time. I can honestly say that I have never gained weight eating this way. But I haven't always lost, and I do not eat much. I even do intermitten fat fasting. BUT, sometimes I think the second I put something starchy or sugary in, even just to 50g carbs, I gain. Then after two weeks or so on eating carbs again, I start to get heart burn. EVERY TIME! So, this keeps my vlchf. I feel great, I'm a good pooper, I don't get heartburn, I'm healthy! So maybe its ok that I am a lush and curvy (no belly fat) hot Grandma! I do still occasionally have to tell the boys at the school I work at that I am not in the least bit interested to know when they will be 18 !
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 18:26

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin
"Those of us who eat combined high fat with LC tend to have rather low levels of insulin in our blood stream. Low levels of insulin mean low levels of activity in the lipoprotein lipase just outside our fat cells. If there was no other way of getting fat out of chylomicrons or VLDL particles and in to adipocytes, we LC eaters would be as chronically hypertriglyceridaemic as a diabetic on a low fat diet. No one would want that.

In to the gap steps ASP, which allows us to store the fat from our current meal as adipose tissue for use in the time before our next meal. On intermittent fasting or once daily eating we HAVE to store an awful lot of fat until we next eat. ASP gets fat in to adipocytes for us, without needing an insulin spike. Good.

What gets the fat out of adipocytes? That's hormone sensitive lipase (HSL from here onwards). "

"Fat intake should be relatively low (by Kwasniewski standards only!) to keep total calories below those needed by our metabolism, otherwise ASP will store more fat than HSL will release. HSL will only ever release enough FFA for the metabolic needs in a healthy person.

On top of that basic plan, the basal metabolic rate must be normal. If a person is hypothyroid they will require far less FFAs for their metabolism and so HSL will adjust to this and minimise fat break down. ASP won't, so a high fat diet will produce weight gain if calories are in excess of metabolic needs."

What'cha all think?

The evidence about ASP comes from laboratory experiments, i.e. in vitro. There is no in vivo evidence that a high fat diet causes excess fat accumulation. Indeed, there is evidence to the contrary. So no matter how strong our belief, it remains a belief with ezzactly zero effect on reality. However, this assumes a person of normal weight to begin with. For a person who is underweight to begin with, then eating food will cause them to grow back up to normal weight. Fat happens to be food. For a person who is obese, fat won't make them gain weight. For a person who was obese and is now of normal weight, there is the possibility that the previous diet broke something that hasn't yet been fixed which would make maintaining weight a problem. But that last is just my opinion.

Here's that argument that makes ASP irrelevant: If ASP has the ability to cause fat to be stored into fat cells without insulin, then why can't diabetics type 1 grow any fat?
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 18:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think two things happen on low carb. One is your appetite is vastly diminished. So you think you're eating a lot but you're not.

Unless we measure. Then there is no doubt.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 18:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
It is so and not so at the same time. Because using calories as a measure, because they behave differently in different people, the conclusion is circular. How do we know if it's too much? only by the gain. If a person didn't gain then it wouldn't be too much.

One person can eat 100000 calories and not gain.
Another person can eat the same amount and gain.
Only the second has eaten "too much."

Precisely. First, we say "well, there's you expected energy expenditure and your actual energy intake so you should lose that much weight." But then when it doesn't work we say "well, you lied about how much you ate because you gained weight." directly contradicting our previous assessment. We never stop and think "maybe there's something wrong about calories". Nope, never.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 06:59

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
The evidence about ASP comes from laboratory experiments, i.e. in vitro. There is no in vivo evidence that a high fat diet causes excess fat accumulation. Indeed, there is evidence to the contrary. So no matter how strong our belief, it remains a belief with ezzactly zero effect on reality. However, this assumes a person of normal weight to begin with. For a person who is underweight to begin with, then eating food will cause them to grow back up to normal weight. Fat happens to be food. For a person who is obese, fat won't make them gain weight. For a person who was obese and is now of normal weight, there is the possibility that the previous diet broke something that hasn't yet been fixed which would make maintaining weight a problem. But that last is just my opinion.

Here's that argument that makes ASP irrelevant: If ASP has the ability to cause fat to be stored into fat cells without insulin, then why can't diabetics type 1 grow any fat?

I certainly wasn't underweight when I started this diet, but neither have I ever been obese. I never ate crap prior to hf/lc either. It is strange how initially the diet worked for me for a year or two, then later it backfired spectacularly without anything else seeming to change. If ASP doesn't have any effect in vivo, then my guess is thyroid hormones can be affected by taking in a very low amount of carbs...maybe. It doesn't seem to happen to everybody and I haven't had tests done myself so I don't know for sure.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 10:40

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default probably perfectly possible to gain weight on a low carb/high fat diet

Ah, doesn't it defy all reason to presume otherwise?
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 19:55
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

You can possibly gain if you eat too many carbs, or too much protein (not just meat) for your body at the time. On magicbus forum some ate thousands of fat calories for weeks and didn't gain an ounce.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 14:06

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
Ah, doesn't it defy all reason to presume otherwise?

Nope. There are very valid reasons to presume otherwise. The issue is hormones, not calories. Your appetite, metabolism, energy level ("impulse to move"), etc., are driven by hormones.

I'll recommend Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories again. Or his speech at Berkeley: http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_d...webcastid=21216
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 20:34

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
Nope. There are very valid reasons to presume otherwise. The issue is hormones, not calories. Your appetite, metabolism, energy level ("impulse to move"), etc., are driven by hormones.

I'm not suggesting hormones aren't an integral part of the weight equilibrium relationship.

What I believe is that a person will gain weight if he eats 10 lbs of ribeye steaks per day even if no carbs are ingested.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 21:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
I'm not suggesting hormones aren't an integral part of the weight equilibrium relationship.

What I believe is that a person will gain weight if he eats 10 lbs of ribeye steaks per day even if no carbs are ingested.

Is there anybody game enough to test this? Taubes talks about this in GCBC. Stefansson talks about it as well. To summarize, it's practically impossible to eat that much meat in one day. It's already difficult to eat one kilo of fat meat. However, if it's very lean meat, then hunger is not satisfied and we could eat all day long but then we'd grow sick before we'd grow fat, if fat we could grow.

Regardless, there is still no way to grow fat by eating meat. The mechanism just isn't there. To grow fat, we need a molecule, glycerol phosphate. And the only way to get it is to eat carbohydrate. There is no carbohydrate in meat.

Finally, the ASP argument conveniently ignores that when ASP is stimulated, so is insulin. It may be only a weak stimulus but that's all that's needed to store fat for in between meals. The point is that this weak insulin stimulus is needed. The further point is that this weak stimulus is insufficient to cause excess fat accumulation.

Last edited by M Levac : Sun, Dec-06-09 at 22:04.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 00:25

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Male approx 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have always wondered how the amount a food item raises the temperature of water when burned is supposed to show how much energy it supplies the body. But, a basic understanding of physics tells me, that the biological machine that is the human body, has an exact energy requirement for every activity it carries out. I also know that the human body stores energy it has no immediate use for. Finally, this energy comes from food. Therefore, if one consumes too much food, one will store energy. And this stored energy takes the form of fat.
Equally as self-evident to me is that energy requirements vary by individual, so please understand that I do not contest that. What I find hard to believe, is that one cannot gain when eating a healthy, natural diet, AKA, one free from processed crap, grains, and excess carbs.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 06:35

Plan: Lacto-paleo
Stats: 201/146/140 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatepig
I have always wondered how the amount a food item raises the temperature of water when burned is supposed to show how much energy it supplies the body. But, a basic understanding of physics tells me, that the biological machine that is the human body, has an exact energy requirement for every activity it carries out. I also know that the human body stores energy it has no immediate use for. Finally, this energy comes from food. Therefore, if one consumes too much food, one will store energy. And this stored energy takes the form of fat.
Equally as self-evident to me is that energy requirements vary by individual, so please understand that I do not contest that. What I find hard to believe, is that one cannot gain when eating a healthy, natural diet, AKA, one free from processed crap, grains, and excess carbs.

It is hard to believe, but I cannot gain weight eating more than I need as long as the protein is moderate and carbs are low. The body can waste calories by excreting them or upregulating body temperature.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 06:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

If ASP needs insulin, then protein fits the bill, as it also stimulates insulin release. Just because you eat ZC doesn't mean you have zero insulin running around.

I've seen many people not gain on very high calorie ZC, and I've seen some people gain. It seems to be possible for some. Whether the gain was fat or water retention (food intolerances are a strong possibility IMO) is unclear.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 07:34
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Indians and trappers of old ate 6 to 8 pounds of buffalo meat or pemmican daily. They were fit and didn't gain weight. A fat canoe porter, trapper, Eskimo hunter or Indian brave? unlikely.