Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 10:18

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
As a reminder, a growling stomach is just a symptom of peristalsis, it isn't a sign of hunger. It may be annoying but it will cease eventually without eating a meal.

Actually, it never stops permanently for me. Sometimes I think I should try fasting for 2 or 3 days. I have this cycle where I feel like eating, then I get gas and grumblings, then it passes and I have no desire to eat at all. It happens 2 or 3 times a day.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 11:34

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Actually, it never stops permanently for me. Sometimes I think I should try fasting for 2 or 3 days. I have this cycle where I feel like eating, then I get gas and grumblings, then it passes and I have no desire to eat at all. It happens 2 or 3 times a day.

You know Cap, I don't think that there is a time limit on a fast just as long as you end it with a healthy meal. Before low carbing, I experienced similar digestive issues. But now, I experience very little gas problems following grumblings. So if you go for a few days without eating please share the experience. Well DD needs the PC so I have to go.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 11:37

Plan: my plan
Stats: 162.5/148/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 83%

I was just gonna say that it might help to drink the coconut oil with your fat soluble vitamins in case you aren't eating anything around the time you take them.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 12:37

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 62 inches
BF:21
Progress: 100%

I've still been reading up on this, even though I went ahead and started. So far, I'm amazed that I've lost 3 pounds in just under a week. Which is great, more than I was able to lose with LCing it alone. The possible health benefits are/were what I find most attractive.

The only problem? I've been cold as ice for the past three days. I thought it had something to do with my thyroid. (I'm hypothyroid, so that was my first conclusion.) But, my doc is out of the town for the holidays.

After further researching IF, I might have possibly found a solution to my puzzle. I've found that thermogenesis is one of the side effects. So, before I see my doc for no reason, I'm going to see if IF is the reason. (He won't be back until early January, and it's not really an emergency.) I'll go back to two meals a day for a couple of days, to see if things improve.

If they do, I'm going to have to figure out a way to make this work, somehow. I'm not doing it for the weight loss, so I don't think I need to do it daily. Anyone else had these problems? How did you deal with it?
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 12:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Calorie restriction makes you cold in part because it does lower your thyroid output (T3 in particular, not sure about T4). But unless you're one of those people with really robust metabolisms you'll probably have to restrict calories to lose weight at some point (I do).

So the cold sensitivity might be unavoidable, at least during the fast. You might try coconut oil or MCT oil though, those always make me feel warm.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 13:02

BF:

Bev, do you use coconut oil. It has been known to help with thyroid problems ( both hyper and hypo ). Consider adding this to your diet.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 14:09

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Bev are you taking med for your thyroid, Nancy is right about CR causing hypo, however LC also reduced the T3 to T4 conversion, so can result in hypothyroid – but that is temporary and can be treated by altering your diet.

When I was very Low Carbing last year, this happened to me, was freezing all the time, my hair was limp and falling all over the place, I was so lethargic and looked like a ghost, increasing my carbs was the only way to treat it – that’s why am anxious not to get back into ketosis again (well not deliberately and never for prolonged period of time)

So, what I think (and I may be wrong cuz am not a Dr) is that IF didn’t cause this directly, I have to do IFing for religious reasons and if I keep my carbs within reason when having my evening meal (the only meal I have when I IF), then am OK.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 14:37

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 62 inches
BF:21
Progress: 100%

I've been taking Armour thyroid (dessicated T3 and T4), about 3 grains a day. I don't have enough meds to increase my dosage until after New Year's (I'm due for a new script), soo.. I'm not really sure what to do.

I think that if I just cut out the IFing for a little while, I'll make it through the holidays and start anew when I can get the meds to do it a little more comfortably.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 16:10
Experimenter

BF:

Any dieting where calories are restricted, causes the thyroid to slow down a bit. It's just part of the mechanism to keep us from starving to death too quickly.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 22:12

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?

I thought IF wasn't supposed to be calorie restricted? I don't think my calorie intake is any less because of IF.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 22:28

BF:

Capmikee, You are correct. IF isn't calorie restriction. That is why I enjoy it. It is an all you can eat buffet. It is just some days you can eat more than others...another good reason to not count calories.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 03:28
Registered Member

Plan: Now on Fatkins 23/1
Stats: 139/136/115 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfid
Dr.Eades was all gung-ho for IF for a while but then backed off. He had a good plan for getting a 24 hour fast, you eat til (for example) 5pm one day & then the next day you start eating after 5pm & eat as desired til 5pm the next day. That way you got a full 24 hour fast every 48 hours, but ate every day. I think it would be too hard for me, I do better not eating til later.
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...-better-health/

He updated his thoughts this year:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blo...fasting-part-1/
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 09:57
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I thought IF wasn't supposed to be calorie restricted? I don't think my calorie intake is any less because of IF.

Might do to review this: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blo...fasting-part-2/

While you're fasting your calorie intake definitely is less, obviously. When you're eating all day long then you have that thermogenesis from food going on to help you keep warm.

Also, do either of you actually count calories? I find it pretty hard to cram a full day's calories into a single meal. It depends on the window length really. I also find a big spontaneous drop in calories if I eat a lot of protein. But if you asked me, I might claim that I'm eating a lot. I'm full, very satisfied, not getting hungry. It's only when I actually log what I'm eating that I realize that somehow I only ate about 800 calories instead of 1500.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Dec-24-08 at 10:03.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 14:44

BF:

Nancy, I wasn't sure if you were referring to me or not but I don't count calories. As-a-matter-of-fact, I don't count anything. I eat an indiscriminate amount of fats for that reason. Some days I feel that my caloric intake is greater than others. One thing that I truly believe is that you body knows what calories it needs. So if you have the desire to eat more than usual on some days, do so. If you feel like eating less, do so. Afterall, some people go for a day or two or even three without eating anything. Those are zero calorie days. I know that my caloric intake varies from day to day.Calories will not be consistant from day to day although it isn't a calorie restriction diet.

I would like to add that I was one of the readers of Dr. Eade blog who have jumped on that band wagon. I touch base with him regularly to let him know how its going.

Last edited by black57 : Wed, Dec-24-08 at 14:50.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 15:07
Experimenter

BF:

It'd be interesting if you logged your food intake for a few days to see what you average in calories.