Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 06:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266.5/209/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:50%/40%/30%
Progress: 85%

It can take awhile. I think it's harder for people to notice if they see us frequently, because the changes are in such small increments. Then again, the people who see us frequently are probably more likely to be close enough to us to mention it when they DO notice. It takes me about 15 lbs for my boyfriend and really close friends to notice, but 5-10 for my mom to comment. Then again I only see my mom maybe once a month, and she knows I'm dieting, so she looks for a change. Two years ago, it took almost 50 lbs for my classmates to start commenting.

I also think a lot of people are uncomfortable bringing the subject up on their own. Personally, I'd love it if people commented on my weightloss regularly, but lots of people I know are reluctant to comment even if they notice. Sometimes it's only when I mention that I'm watching what I eat, that people will say "Oh, I thought you looked smaller!"
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-06, 15:39
Registered Member

Stats: 190/174.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I remember the first time I went on Atkins I had lost about 20 pounds and no one noticed. I swore I wouldn't tell anyone but I was sure my own mother would notice! Well, no she didn't! I was at her house for dinner and she never said a word! Well, I told her I'd lost about 20 pounds and all she said was great!!!

Anyway, I guess when I hit 25-30 pound loss people noticed. It certainly wasn't because of my face getting thinner, because that was the last part of my body to slim down. Go figure! It was just that one day it was as if my whole body shifted and everything moved where it was supposed to be.

So I would say maybe 25 pounds or so people will notice.

Oh, and another thing: What kind of clothes are you wearing? I was still wearing my "fat" clothes even though I knew I could fit in smaller sizes. One day I put on something that was more form fitting and everyone noticed!

So, if you've lost a considerable amount of weight (20 pounds maybe), try putting on something more form fitting. It might work!
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-06, 16:04
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

When I first posted to this thread, I was at 17 pounds lost,... now I'm at 32, and only 1 person has noticed, my boss, and she knows I am dieting.
I do tend to show it in my face and neck first, and will start to get puzzled comments like "Have you changed your hair color? I like it." as people start trying to figure out "what's different".
And like rosiejames mentioned, I can still wear all my same clothes, although about now, a smaller size is starting to fit.
But I'm going to hold out buying as long as i can, since I have so much more to lose, and besides, there's practically enough clothes (in enough sizes) to open a woman's boutique boxed up in the attic!
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 00:11
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

My most gladdening compliment was given to me just recently. A friend whom I have known for a long time, but haven't seen for about a year, dropped by my house. When I answered the door, he stood staring at me for a few seconds and finally said, "Incredible! If I had seen you anywhere other than here in your home, I never would have recognized you!" Made me feel absolutely wonderful.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 01:40

Plan: My own
Stats: 256/249/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Somewhat on the same topic - and I'm glad that made you feel so awesome, Kisal - but does anyone with a large amount of weight to lose ever have any worries about how they'll look afterwards? Not in terms of extra skin, but just your features. After I'd lost 40lb a year or two ago, I started to notice the space between my eyes more and felt a little self-conscious, a little worried that I would get to the point where I wouldn't recognize the face staring back at me in the mirror. That might sound really irrational, but I think about it sometimes. It doesn't stop me from wanting to get into better shape, though.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 02:11
No Cheats Ever!

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 291/163/155 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

My husband was a truck driver from the time I started (January 06) til August. He was on the road for 4-6 weeks at a time, so he saw major differences each time he came home. One night we're lying there in bed, and he says..honey, I don't mind that you want to lose weight, but did you have to lose it HERE? as he gently touches my breasts. lol
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 09:34

Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Yesterday seemed to be the day EVERYONE noticed my weightloss. It was weird. But it was a big day. Several co-workers told me how "good" I'm doing and the difference is very "noticable". It was definitely encouraging.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-06, 11:27

Plan: my own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedw
Somewhat on the same topic - and I'm glad that made you feel so awesome, Kisal - but does anyone with a large amount of weight to lose ever have any worries about how they'll look afterwards? Not in terms of extra skin, but just your features. After I'd lost 40lb a year or two ago, I started to notice the space between my eyes more and felt a little self-conscious, a little worried that I would get to the point where I wouldn't recognize the face staring back at me in the mirror. That might sound really irrational, but I think about it sometimes. It doesn't stop me from wanting to get into better shape, though.

My weight-gain was so fast, I still can't see me other than what I used to look like. When I look in the mirror, I wonder who that puffy-faced creature is. With hypothyroidism, your face gets puffy and your eyelids do, too. When I lost weight, my old face started to reappear. Not quite the same but closer than this!

I think people are reluctant to mention weight loss because so many people gain it all back, then feel bad because people only compliment them when they lose.

Some people are reluctant to say personal things to others. People get offended if you ask them if the kids they're strolling are boys or girls. Sheesh people offend so easily these days.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 09:44
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

If you're sort of "evenly" fat all over your body, rather than having it more concentrated in certain areas (hips, rear, thighs, etc.), it might be more difficult for others to notice your weight loss until you've lost a fairly substantial amount. Also, new clothes definitely makes weight loss more noticeable, because wearing saggy baggy stuff that's 2 or 3 sizes too big for you just hides your new figure.

I have to say, I went the whole 9 yards! I began wearing nailpolish and getting professional manicures and pedicures a couple of times a month, had my hair permed and restyled, and bought a few new outfits as soon as the old stuff began to look baggy. I also began wearing jewelry again, which I hadn't done for many years, because I didn't want to draw attention to myself.

After all, this isn't just a "diet," it's my new wol, and I feel that it is important that I celebrate that fact.