Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:03
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Doing some digging for ya Jeff, hope you find info useful and maybe I will learn something as well!

Planning and preparation are going to be keys to your success. If you don't have access to a refrigerator at work, then invest in a small cooler. You may also want to keep one in your car.

Make large quantites of things ahead of time (weekends). I make a huge batch of oatmeal (steel cut & oat groat combo) about once a month and freeze in small containers. Quick and easy to defrost in the a.m. Another thing I make a large quantity of is an 'egg casserole'. Steam and drain a big bag of fresh spinach. Mix that with a dozen (or more) egg whites, diced up turkey bacon, non-fat motzarella cheese (Kraft). Bake in a 9X13 pan or cook stovetop (although you'd need a pretty big frying pan ). You'll need to figure how much the total recipe is and divide it out accordingly, but realisticlly, you could have a weeks worth of breakfast protein 'ready to heat 'n go'.

Deli meats, jerky, cottage cheese, string cheese, yogurt, soy nuts, balanced bars, homemade snacks and of course fruits all travel well. Just remember to balance the food. So for instance, a one block snack could be a handful of grapes and a string cheese stick. One of my personal favorites to take with is a mixxed concoction of of cottage cheese, strawberry Blue Bunny yogurt, TVP, frozen blueberries (defrosted) and natural crunchy peanut butter. After a couple of hours the TVP has hydrated to make it nice and thick & filling. You'll need to figure the qtys of each item in order to make it the desired blocks (makes a great 3 block meal).

When you have an opportunity, check the many previous posts. There is also an old thread called 'Need Chocolate' with a recipe for a great pre or post workout snack that travels well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStix
Nuts contain decent amounts of all three macronutrients but are a bit shy on carbs. You could have a handful with a piece of fruit for a snack, going to and from places.

Remember, nuts are considered only a fat when on Zone. Protein and carbs are not counted.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:04
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Reynolds Cooking Bags

So easy & no mess! Throw boneless, skinless chicken (or turkey) breasts in a bag with your favorite marinade (I usually use the packets where you just add water and vinegar). Bake for about 45 mins. Cooks up quick ~ careful not to over-bake. Bake large quantities for quick meals throughout the week.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:06
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Need Chocolate???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's something that's sure to satisfy that chocolate craving!

This recipe is very forgiving depending on your choice of ingredients and brands ~ adjust accordingly. For instance, you may prefer almond butter or less peanut butter and chopped nuts. Powdered milk brands vary significantly in their counts – check your label. Do not use soy protein powder. The result would be dry and chalky. The entire recipe should be 84g Protein, 108g Carb, 36g Fat (slight variations are Zone acceptable)

Chewy Chocolate Zone ‘Fudge’

6 T Fructose (48g Carb)
½ C Water
¼ C natural Peanut Butter (32g Fat)
¾ C + 2T Designer Whey Chocolate Protein Powder (61.25g Protein, 7g Carb, 5g Fat)
¾ C Sanalac Powdered Milk (24g Protein, 39g Carb)
5 T Hershey’s Cocoa Powder (10g Carb, 2.5g Fat)
3 T ground Flax Seed (optional) (Free)

Mix dry ingredients together with wire whisk – Set aside

In a large saucepan, bring water and fructose to boil. Add peanut butter and return to boil stirring with wire whisk.

Remove from heat.

Add dry ingredients.

Stir with fork. Mixture will be very thick. More water may need to be added a few drops at a time.

Press into sprayed mini-muffin tins and freeze for about an hour. Remove from tin and store in sealed container in freezer.

Makes 12 one block snacks.
Total recipe = 85g Protein, 104g Carb, 39.5 Fat
  #49   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:09
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Pancakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pulled these off the ZP site for you. I hope you find them useful.

6 Tbs. rolled oats
2 large egg whites (or one whole egg)
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peanut butter or almond butter (I also enjoy 2 tsp. of walnuts for my fat instead)

Put the rolled oats into a blender or food processor and process on high for one minute to make flour. Add all the other ingredients and stir until mixed. Cook on griddle coated with vegetable cooking spray until golden brown, flip over and repeat. Makes 2 complete food blocks.

Banana Nut Pancakes

7 large egg whites
3/4 cup cottage cheese 2% fat
10 Tbsp Old Fashioned Oats
3 tsp granulated fructose
1 ounce chopped pecans
3/8 cup mashed bananas
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a blender, blend oats until "powdery", then add cottage cheese until smooth, then add remaining ingredients, except pecans until all are incorporated. Add pecans last (do not beat with the blender, or they will be puree'd) Fry up pancakes as normal into 8 equal sized pancakes. Serve 2 pancakes with 1 block of puree'd fruit of your choice and few additional pecans as a topping and 1/4 cup cottage cheese or 1 block of lean meat. (two pancakes is two blocks each) Feel free to modify with different kinds of fruit in the pancakes. Also makes a great before and after exercise snack. One pancake before and one after. Hope you like them!

Ricotta Pancakes

1c Part Skim Ricotta (24gP, 16gC, 24gF)
4 egg whites (14P)
1c oat flour- bulk from health food store (6gF, 48gC, 15gP)
1/4c water
1/2t baking powder
1/2c oats (2gF,22gC, 5gP)-the only ones I had
2t splenda (baking kind... not packets- if you have only packets try using just 1 pkg)
favorite extract 1/2t - 1t... vanilla, almond, strawberry, raspberry... or a little lemon juice and a little lemon zest is great!

mix all ingredients together in lg bowl. This makes a thick, moist pancake, so if you like yours thinner, add more water to get the consistency you like. Spray your griddle with butter PAM and drop 1/8c batter for each pancake. I got 37 small pancakes, so my 3block b-fast was roughly 12 or so. You could also decrease the oats by 1/2 and add a few dried berries. Also, when I want to save some carbs for something else I will use 2/3c oat flour and 1/3c soy flour, or Atkins bake mix.

total recipe makes: 66gP, 86gC, 32gF
or 9.5 blocks P, 9.5 blocks C, 10.5 blocks F
I short myself a few pancakes if I want to use the PB syrup or applesauce on top. It doesn't take much of the syrup, as the taste is really strong (and yummy!).
Zone coach
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...993#post1482993
  #50   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:10
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Jeff in case you wanna look yourself , I pulled all post by the Zone coach, that's where I came up with these recipes

http://forum.lowcarber.org/search.p...76&pp=25&page=1
  #51   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:12
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Peanut butter is considered fat on the Zone. Celery would basically be a free carb unless eating huge quantities.

Here's one idea ~

Cottage cheese
Blue Bunny Lite 85 Strawberry Yogurt
Frozen Blueberries (or other fresh fruit of choice - peach is good)
TVP (textured vegetable protein)
Peanut butter (natural crunchy)

Defrost blueberries in micro and add TVP. Mix in cottage cheese, yogurt and peanut butter. I like the TVP after it's been "rehydrated" in the concoction; if you like it crunchy, then add it before eating.

You'll have to do your own calculations based on your specific ingredient labels and desired block count.

I find this very filling and it stays with me.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:13
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

From Dr. Sears' newsletter

Makes (1) 3-block meal
Chicken Stirfry

Ingredients:
3 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed (3 P)
2 cups shredded cabbage (0.5 C)
1 green bell pepper, sliced (0.5 C)
3/4 cup onion, sliced (0.5 C)
1/3 teaspoon olive oil (1 F)
1 tablespoon Teriyaki Sauce (1 C)
12 peanuts (2 F)
Saute chicken in olive oil in a non-stick pan or wok. Add vegetables and saute until tender-crisp. Add teriyaki sauce and peanuts for the last minute or two.
Have one-half a cup of diced strawberries for dessert.
Zone coach
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...390#post1286390
  #53   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:30
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Peanut Butter Fluff

1/2C Water
¼-1/2C powdered milk (amount to equal approx. one protein block)
1 packet Knox gelatin
2T cold water
2T boiling water
2t peanut butter
1/2t vanilla
1T Splenda

Mix 1/2C water with powdered milk. Put in freezer with beaters for about ½ hour.
Sprinkle gelatin with 2T cold water. Let sit for 2 minutes. Add 2T boiling water and stir.
Add peanut butter and vanilla. Stir and let cool.
Beat milk and water until thick (like whipping cream).
Sprinkle with Splenda.
Pour in gelatin mix and beat slightly.
Chill in freezer for about an hour.
Makes 2 blocks

#54   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:38
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Sample Zone Menu

I am on a 12 to 13 block meal plan.

I would typically split this meal in half and have 1/2 before going to the gym and 1/2 after.

1/3 Cup cooked steel cut oats
1 Cup strawberries Breakfast
1/2 Cup blueberries
1 Tablespoon natural peanut butter
Splenda
(Omelet)
2 strips turkey bacon
¼ Cup shredded no-fat mozzarella cheese
4 egg whites
2 cups fresh spinach steamed

3 oz cooked chicken
2 cups steamed broccoli Lunch
1 tablespoon toasted almonds
1 small apple

½ cup no fat cottage cheese
3 oz Blue Bunny no-fat yogurt Snack
2 teaspoons natural peanut butter
1 peach diced

4 oz grilled salmon brushed w/olive oil
Steamed asparagus & baby carrots Dinner
1 kiwi

Fudge snack (one complete block) before bed. Snack

DAY 2

Protein Shake
1 scoop + 1 T Protein Powder (Designer Whey vanilla)
1/3 Cup cooked steel cut oats
2 Cups strawberries
1 Tablespoon natural peanut butter
Splenda

3oz canned tuna
2 cups steamed broccoli
1 tablespoon toasted almonds
1 small pear

½ cup no fat cottage cheese
3 oz Blue Bunny no-fat yogurt
2 teaspoons natural peanut butter
½ C blueberries

3 oz grilled turkey
Steamed cauliflower
Toasted slivered almonds
1 kiwi

Fudge snack (one complete block)
  #55   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 13:06

Plan: 40/30/30 - BFFM
Stats: 153/115/116 Female 61"
BF:>36%/15%/<20
Progress: 103%

Chari-
How funny...I was JUST looking through all the postings and then got notified that you had posted several messages!

Jeff -
Use your search function and look through the old threads. There is a lot of info contained there. Some might be a little confusing, but most is good. I DO find it interesting that most of the people who were so active with the "Zone" in '02 - '05 are no longer here! And many of them seemed a bit put off by the 'real' "Zone" plan that focuses on blocks, favorable and unfavorable foods...(can't say that I blame them!!!)

Nonetheless, you may find it helpful to review the postings and then transfer the recipes you like into the software program to see where they fall in the macros. BE WARNED: some will not work out the way you think they might. I'm a rather AR-OCD, so having everything everthing precisely figured helps me stay on track.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 22:41
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Oatty Chocolate Protein Powder Thingy
NUMBER OF BLOCKS: 6

The following was posted by vab in the forums here on Drsears.com.

Hi, there. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the following recipe is Zoney. I was experimenting tonight and just hope it works out once I get around to eating time!!!

(6 blocks - 6 snack portions)

6 tsp Peanut butter (6 blocks F)
40g chocolate protein powder (24g of protein per 30g of powder-New Zealand stuff) (4 blocks P)
4 2/3 tsp Gelatin (2.9g protein per tsp - New Zealand stuff) (2 blocks P)
5 ounce steel oats (6 blocks C)
6 teaspoons natural peanut butter.

In subsequent posts, vab said the mixture was divided among six muffin tins and put in the refrigerator to set. The oats are also "whizzed with a hand whiz" after cooking. A suggestion was also made to add vanilla essence, cinnamon and ginger.

Want to weigh in on this recipe? Visit the forums. Look under "Oatty Chocolate Protein Powder Thingy," which is posted in the Food Tips category.

http://drsears.com/memberrecipefeaturesopen.page
  #57   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 22:42
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Egg Nog Yogurt With Fruit
NUMBER OF BLOCKS: 4

Ingredients
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2/3 ounce unflavored or unsweetened vanilla soy protein powder (portion containing 14 grams protein)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (non-alcohol, glycerine base)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon stevia extract powder (start with less; add more only if needed)
1 1/3 teaspoons almond oil or 12 almonds, raw or lightly toasted, chopped coarsely
1/3 banana, cut in thin slices
1 peach, halved, pitted, sliced

Instructions
1. Place yogurt in small bowl or 1-quart Pyrex measuring cup. Add protein powder, vanilla, turmeric, nutmeg, and stevia. Stir well with a large spoon, scraping the sides as needed to incorporate all of the seasonings. Taste. Add 1/8 teaspoon additional stevia if a sweeter taste is desired. Stir in almond oil or sprinkle nuts on top.
2. Top with sliced fruit just before serving. Serve immediately or pour into one container (for a breakfast) or four containers (to yield four snacks). Cover and refrigerate.
Note: If slicing fruit in advance of serving, either drizzle it with lemon juice or place it in the bottom of serving containers, then top with "Egg Nog" Yogurt.
Variations
Replace 1 peach with 1/2 cup blueberries. If desired, also replace 1/3 banana with 1/2 cup blueberries. (You do not need to coat blueberries with lemon juice, only sliced fruit, sliced in advanced of serving.)

#58   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 22:43
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Spa Smoothie
NUMBER OF BLOCKS: 3

This smoothie recipe from Cheryl was posted on Zonediet.com.

I've taken a smoothie recipe from Miraval Spa and "Zoned" it, and it's truly wonderful. You can switch to different kinds of fruit, depending on your mood and likes.
1/2 cup blueberries (1 block carb)
1/3 cup mandarin oranges (1 block carb)
2/3 scoop soy protein powder (2 blocks protein)
1 1/2 teaspoons walnuts (3 blocks fat)
1/2 cup soy milk (1/2 block carb, 1/2 block protein)
1/4 cup plain yogurt (1/2 block carb, 1/2 block protein)
Add 3 good-sized mint leaves (good for your stomach)
And I add just a touch of fructose sometimes if the fruit is a bit sour.
Throw it all in the blender, and let 'er rip! This fills me up for the 4 hours easily. I use frozen, fresh, and canned fruits. You can substitute 3/4 cup raspberries, 1 cup strawberries, peaches, frozen mixed fruit -- use your own imagination. Just look up the right amount for 1 block
  #59   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 04:32
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Diet now
Stats: 450/400/195 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 20%

ROFL - oh my gosh

Thank you so very much Chari

Having a bit of time to think today. I think the main trick is going to be --- cook and freeze. Some days I just don't feel like cooking and that is where I get in trouble. Its just me, and that leads to short cuts. Now I just have to make those short-cuts better choice short-cuts.

Donna, going from Blocks to grams seems to make more sense everyday.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 04:38
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Diet now
Stats: 450/400/195 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 20%

TVP (textured vegetable protein) ?

I'm going to be eating this TVP stuff? LOL