Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-06, 21:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

In the spring of 1999 I was flirting with the 150lbs mark. I tried to ignore it. I had always been a thin person, until after the birth of my child. My husband made a comment to me. He called my "tubby", Then my husband developed border line type 2 diabetes. I took a long hard look at myself. I was going to die. Along the way to death, I would have high blood sugar, heart disease. So much to look forward to. I heard an interview with Dr. Atkins on TV. I went on the Atkins diet, my first and only try at any diet. It worked.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-06, 21:28
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

206 was my "get serious" weight. I had no idea I weighed that much and there I was being weighed for a free body composition test at Curves. I signed up with Curves that day and did my first workout the following day. I've been working out ever since.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-06, 21:38

Plan: no sugar no flour, Atkins
Stats: 196.5/175/120 Female 5 feet 3 inch
BF:JUST HAD A BABY
Progress: 28%

well, i am having a hard time getting started on my plan. i am getting close to that size that i just can't bare
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/128/112 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 76%

It was my freshmen year of college. I didn't even own a scale because I had always been around the same weight and I figured (for some crazy reason) that I'd always be the same weight no matter what I did or ate. Anyway, I did a huge load a of laundry and when I tried to put on my jeans, none of them would fit. I was stuck in sweat pants until I bought some new ones.....size 11. I was so upset I felt sick, I went from a 6 to an 11. I bought a scale and saw to my horror that I was 185 lbs. That day I refused to live in a size 11 body.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 11:06
Registered Member

BF:

You are 5'7" and 123 pounds? You think that's overweight?
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/128/112 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have a high body fat %. My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle. As I said in my intro, it's not so much the # on the scale as it is my body composition.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 11:46
Registered Member

BF:

How high is your body fat? Mine is 23% and my trainer says that's great.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 17:36

Plan: Dr Bernstein, Atkins
Stats: 206/199/105 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here and jsut wanted to share my story. I'm a new member here and introduced myself in the other forum. Here's my story in a nutshell for those who don't mind reading: I have been on a diet rollercoaster for the last 7 years after my daughter was born. I am 5'1 and have always had a little bit chubby but I didn't mind. The most I had ever been pre-pregnancy was 132 lbs which was a healthy weight. After that, at nine months of pregnancy I went up to 185 lbs. After she was born, I went down to 165 lbs without dieting. Frustrated for a year, I did the Stanley K Berstein diet in Feb 2001 ( I realize this isn't one of the diets mentioned here or supported) and got down to 110 lbs in about 5 months. I was thrilled with the results but didn't have a plan to keep it off and that diet wasn't realistic day to day. Slowly but surely, I gained weight and got up to 170 lbs by July 2004. I am an emotional eater and found this was the kiss of death. I went back to Bernstein and lost 20 lbs. Then realized I couldn't handle starvation diets anymore and started doing Atkins. Since they were both Ketogenic diets, I could stay in ketosis, eat more and not gain back the 20 lbs I lost on Dr. Bernstein. For 9 months, I stayed on Atkins and from from 170 to 131 lbs until 3 people in my family passed away all within 4 months of each other. Two passed away within 12 days of each other. It really hit me hard and i became very depressed. I numbed the pain with food. Five months later, I was back up to 160 lbs and was even more depressed but I kept eating. I started to hide from people I knew, stopped going out and watched life pass before my eyes. I was hiding the real me behind all those layers of fat. I had no energy, started to get pains all over my body and thought I might be diabetic when I recently got tingling in my hands and feet. No longer did I think about vanity, I was scared about my health and I am only 30 years old. I didnt' want to be like this anymore at a high 206 lbs. The breaking point came a few months ago when I developed stretch marks all over my inner thighs. I was horrified and felt ugly and worthless as a woman. Still, it took me a few more months to get back on track. My birthday was a few weeks ago and I vowed to change my lifestyle for myself and my family. My daughter has watched me become less and less energetic and I felt horrible about it. I wanted to do things with her but never had the energy. I've been on Atkins for a week now and have lost 7 lbs. Being 206 ls was no fun and I realized I had to do something or I would age considerably and I am still young. In just a week, I have so much energy now and I know I can stay on this program because it works and the biggest trouble I had was the highs and lows of blood sugar. On Atkins, I find I can stabalize them and I am burning a large amount of ketones.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 17:40
Registered Member

BF:

Hi AtkinsFan! I'm a bit taller than you but I also topped out at 206.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 08:30
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

That's interesting...I am 5'1'' and my highest weight was 206 as well.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 13:42

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 185/133.6/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

My highest weight was 185. My breaking point was the culmination of small comments by family, scary looking pictures and seeing my reflection in my computer screen at work.

I decided I HAD to do something about my weight. I couldn't look at myself anymore, and I looked like a bag of potatoes... I felt ugly.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-06, 17:44

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

For me, it wasn't so much the scale, but my clothes ALL looked like spandex on me! My jeans, khakis, work clothes... Once I started seeing "camel toe" with EVERYTHING I wore, I decided ENOUGH! Sorry if TMI, but it's a cold fact.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-06, 21:52

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 227/213/175 Female 5ft
BF:starting size 20
Progress: 27%

My wake up call was after a visit to my dr and she told me in front of my husband that if I didnt do something about my weight and my eatting habits now I would have diabeties by the time I turned 30.(I'm 28) That I was slowly killing myself. That night my husband held me in bed and said "I love you and I dont want you to die". That was it for me!
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: blah
Stats: 111/111/111 Female 78
BF:
Progress: 29%

My breaking point was when I was 16 and I had reached 252lbs. I realized that I was officially closer to 300lbs than 200lbs and that scared me. I lost about 20lbs and then when I was 19 I reached 252lbs again. I realized that if I keep going on like this its going to be a never ending cycle and its just going to get worse and worse and I am never going to have a good life.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 15:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

2005 I was 255 lbs, despite being very overweight I didn't have any serious health issues (fine blood work, low cholesterol, steady heart) but I felt very inhibited by my weight - felt unattractive, hated shopping for clothes, sports and physical activities weren't fun. I had an old Volvo and it became harder to get the belt fastened around me. Straining to get the seat belt fastened I decided I really had to do something about my weight.