Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 13:25
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Steel-Cut Oatmeal

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups steel-cut oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk ( reduced fat)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce -- or pumpkin puree
1/2 cup packed brown sugar(sub splenda and sf maple syrup)
1/2 cup Craisins (optional) -- walnuts or chopped prunes
(make sure it's unsweetened)
Combine dry ingredients. Mix in milk, eggs, and the applesauce or pumpkin puree.

Pour into a greased pie tin. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes

Cut into wedges.

Source:
"CLBB mmtibbs"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 264 Calories; 5g Fat (17.5% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 259mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Excellent! Very hearty and filling! Chewier texture from the steel-cut oats, and a bit drier and cakier than my normal baked oatmeal, but still very moist. I used pumpkin and added cinnamon and the result tasted a bit like pumpkin pie. Delicious! I didn't add any fruit or nuts.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 13:27
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Maple-Hazelnut Oatmeal

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : main dishes vegetarian

1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1 1/2 cups water
2 Gala apples -- peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes, (about 3 cups)
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar(splenda)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter -- softened(smart balance)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
1/4 cup pure maple syrup(sugar free)
2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts -- toasted

Bring milk and water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.

Place hot milk mixture, apple, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a 3 1/2-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray; stir well. Cover with lid; cook on low-heat setting 7 hours or until oats are tender.

Spoon oatmeal into individual serving bowls; top with maple syrup and hazelnuts.

Yield 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups oatmeal, 1 tablespoon syrup, and 1 1/2 teaspoons hazelnuts).

CAL 363 (23% from fat); PRO 9.3g; FAT 9.7g (sat 3.4g); CARB 63.8g; FIB 5.6g; CHOL 13mg; IRON 2.5mg; SOD 242mg; CALC 161mg

Source:
"Cooking Light Slow Cooker Cookbook, page 61"
Copyright:
"© 2004, by Oxmoor House, Inc."
Yield:
"4 servings"
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 13:40
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Black Bean Mushroom Chili

1lb of dried black beans (2 1/2 cups) rinsed
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C (yup it is a quarter cup) of mustard seeds (I used the dark brown)
2T chili powder
1 1/2 t cumin seeds or ground cumin
1/2 t cardamom seeds or ground cardamom
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1 lb mushrooms trimmed and sliced (4 1/2 cups)
1/2 lb tomatillos, husked and coarsely chopped
1/4 C water
5 1/2 C mushroom broth or vegetable broth (I prefer thick chili and used only 32oz of veg broth)
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
1-2 T minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 1/4 C grated Montery Jack or Pepper Jack cheese (reduced fat)
1/2 C reduced fat sour cream
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
2 limes cut into wedges

1. Soak beans overnight in 2 qts water. (Alternatively, place beans and 2 qts water in a large pot. Bring to boil & boil for 2 mins. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour) Drain beans, discard soaking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, combine oil, mustard seeds, chili powder, cumin and cardamom in a 5-6 qt Dutch oven. Place over high heat and stir until the spices sizzle, about 30 secs. Add onions, mushrooms, tomatillos and 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until veg. are juicy, 5-7 minutes. Uncover and stir often until the juices evaporate and vegs. are lightly browned 10-15 mins. Add broth, tomato paste and chipotle chili (with sauce) mix well.
3.Place the beans in a 5-6 qt slow cooker. Pour the hot sauce over the beans. Turn heat to high. Put the lid on and cook until beans are creamy to bite, 5 to 8 hours.
4. To serve, ladle chili into bowls and garnish with cheese, sour cream and cilantro & lime wedges.

Makes 10 servings, generous 1 cup each.
Per serving with garnishes: 311 calories; 10G total fat; 20MG chol; 41G carb; 18G protein; 13G fiber; 414 MG sodium

here are the stovetop directions!

Start to Finish 4 1/2 hours

In Step 2, increase broth to 8 1/2 cups. Omit step 3. Add the beans to the Dutch oven; cover and simmer the chili gently over low heat, stirring occasionally until beans are creamy to bite, about 3 hours.

bijoux22
cooking light
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 21:39
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Grossout smoothie

1 cup raw baby spinach (or more...I do two big handfuls)

1/2 cup berries of some sort (strawberries, mixed berries...whatever...I do the frozen ones - they seem to add better texture to the smoothie. I also do frozen mango. I bet banana would be good too....)

1 cup 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soy milk (if you're not a fan of soy milk, try NF milk w/vanilla and splenda...or SF vanilla syrup...) The 8th continent tastes like a Vanilla milkshake, I swear...it's sweet and vanilla-y...

Other "add-ins" - 1/3 cup tofu (silken, light, firm whatever...it all seems to work) OR whey powder OR cocoa OR any combination of all those...sometimes if it's too thick, I also thin it with either water OR apple juice (sshh...my guilty pleasure...I only add a little!)

Blend it up and gulp it down. It looks hideous because of the spinach, but it tastes yummy and is so healthy!

Yosh, thanks for posting this!!! I will vouch for it, too, obviously.

Here are some recent variations/tips I've learned about the smoothie -
**Adding in 1 TBSP flax meal adds some great oils, and a nutty taste, and more fiber to the mix.

**Buy the bagged baby spinach when it goes on sale (ours goes for $1/bag sometimes) and freeze it - it works just as well, if not better, in the smoothie when it's frozen.

**If you make sure you have some protein in the drink, it will keep you fuller longer.

IT IS DELICIOUS - my DBF, who is not even a south beacher, REQUESTS this smoothie every morning!

posted by Santosha SB-diet-plan
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 22:29
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Since you haven't settled upon an official name, could I offer up Lindrusso's Marinara Magnifica !? Without further ado, here it is:

I've been tinkering with marinara sauces over the last couple of years. Below is the recipe I've come up with. It's a very basic sauce because I like to keep it in the freezer and pull it out for various uses. I then doctor it up for whatever I'm making by adding fresh herbs, crushed red pepper, whatever. Caramelizing the onions helps to take away the harsh taste onions can sometimes add to your sauce. Same with crushing/smashing the garlic.

Marinara (haven't named it yet beyond "My Marinara" )

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar (splenda)
3-4 medium onions, chopped
1/2 cup cup dry red wine
6 cloves garlic, crushed with the blade of a knife
3 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (or 2 28-ounce cans crushed and 2 14-ounce cans diced if you want a bit more chunkiness)
2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
pinch of crushed red pepper or more to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Heat oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add chopped onions and 1 tablespoon sugar. Sauté onions for 30-45 minutes, or until sweet and caramelized. As the pan dries while onions are cooking, add red wine as needed. Once onions are done, continue to add the rest of the ingredients. Stir until well-combined. Simmer over low heat for 4-6 hours (you can simmer for less, but I would simmer for at least 1-2 hours). Stir often to keep the sauce from burning or getting overcooked. Makes about 9 cups of sauce.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 22:32
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Thai-Style Ground Beef

This dish appeals to adults and kids alike, which answers Sasha Wall's challenge to prepare one dinner that satisfies the whole family. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy leftovers with warm tortillas.

Cooking spray
1 cup thinly sliced leek
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 pound lean ground sirloin
1 teaspoon red curry paste (such as Thai Kitchen)
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
3 cups hot cooked short-grain rice ( brown rice)
Iceberg lettuce wedges (optional)
Chopped cilantro
Chopped green onions (optional)

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add leek; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beef; cook 7 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in curry paste and tomato sauce; cook until half of liquid evaporates (about 2 minutes). Add milk and next 4 ingredients (through fish sauce); cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with the rice and lettuce wedges, if desired. Garnish with cilantro and green onions, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup beef mixture and 3/4 cup rice)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 353(16% from fat); FAT 6.4g (sat 3.2g,mono 1.7g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 23.1g; CHOLESTEROL 49mg; CALCIUM 29mg; SODIUM 723mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 6.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 51.5g

Joy Zacharia
Cooking Light, JANUARY 2006
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 22:40
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Roast Chicken Provençale

Thinking of roasting a chicken? Think big. Large roasters have a greater proportion of meat to bone, and leftovers are a time-saver. Look for herbes de Provence, a combination of dried herbs (basil, lavender, marjoram, rosemary, sage, savory, and thyme), in the spice section of supermarkets. Rubbing the flavorful paste under the skin means even though the skin is discarded, the meat keeps the flavor.

2 tablespoons dried herbes de Provence**
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (7-pound) roasting chicken
1 small onion, quartered
Cooking spray
1/3 cup Sauvignon Blanc or other dry white wine
2/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon chilled butter, cut into small pieces(Smart balance)

Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl; mash to a paste consistency.

Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.

Rub seasoning mixture under loosened skin. Place onion in body cavity. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Tie legs together with string.

Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Insert a meat thermometer into breast, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 400° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until thermometer registers 180°. Remove chicken from pan. Cover with foil, and let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin.

Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour pan drippings into bag; let stand 5 minutes (the fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into pan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.

Place pan over medium-high heat. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 2/3 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat; add butter, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Serve sauce with chicken.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 4 ounces chicken and about 1 tablespoon sauce)
** make your own

Herbes de Provence

I usually mix this blend using dried herbs and store it in a clean small crock that I purchased full, now long gone, at the open-air market in Nice, France. The original blend cost me about 20 francs, this refill a couple of pennies. Use in omelets; stir into rice and grains. Sprinkle lightly on meat, fish, or poultry before grilling. Whisk into vinegar and oil and a smidgen of Dijon mustard for a sprightly vinaigrette.

4 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried sweet marjoram
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried mint
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon dried lavender (optional)

In a food process or blender, pulse the herbs to desired consistency. Store in an airtight container and use within 3 months.

Cooking light
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 22:47
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Singapore Noodles
Chatelaine, February 2006, p. 137

Talk about cold-weather comfort - you can't beat a bowl of curried noodles loaded with tender pieces of chicken, plump shrimp and crunchy red pepper for a warming meal. Unlike some noodle dishes, this one isn't too saucy. If you like it fiery, add a little hot sauce.

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes

Makes 2 servings

125g rice vermicelli (a bit more than 1/4 lb) OR spaghettini (see note in paragraph 1. of recipe)
1/2 lb frozen peeled uncooked large shrimp
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
2 green onions
1 carrot
1/2 red pepper
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp each soy sauce and water
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp bottled chopped garlic or 1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp bottled chopped ginger or finely grated fresh ginger
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) - optional

1. Separate noodles as best you can, then soak according to package directions or in water at room temperature, 20 minutes. If noodles soften before you need them, drain and toss with a little vegetable oil. Substitution note: Thread-like vermicelli made from rice is found in many supermarkets and Asian grocery stores. If you can't find it, use the same amount of spaghettini, and instead of cooking noodles, cook them according to package directions before adding to sauce.

2. Meanwhile, rinse shrimp under cold running water to remove any ice crystals. Pat dry with paper towels. Cut chicken in half lengthwise, then slice into thin strips. Slice onions in 1-in. pieces. Slice carrot into thin julienne strips. Thinly slice pepper. In a small bowl, stir lime juice with soy, water and 1 tbsp oil.

3. Heat remaining tbsp oil in a large, non-stick frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Stir-fry until lightly golden, 3 min. Then add shrimp, carrot, pepper, garlic, and ginger. Sprinkle with curry powder and salt. Stir often until shrimp turn bright pink, 3 min. Add drained noodles, then pour in lime mixture. Stir often, separating noodles, until hot and noodles turn yellow, 2 min. Remove from heat and stir in onions and coriander.
(use gi approved noodle)
Per serving: 590 cals; 42g protein; 63.7g carb; 4.8mg iron; 112mg calcium; 1,367mg sodium, 4.4g fibre
__
cooking light

Last edited by surfer376 : Mon, Jan-16-06 at 23:01.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 07:57
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

6 chicken thighs -- bone in, skin removed (breast if you like)
2 lbs sweet potatoes -- peeled and cut into spears
1/2 lb white button mushrooms -- sliced
6 lg shallots -- peeled and halved
4 clove garlic -- peeled
1 c dry white wine
2 tsps chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tbsps white wine vinegar

Place all ingredients excpet vinegar in slow cooker; sitr to combine. cook on low til the potatoes are tender, about 5 hours. Before serving, remove bones from chicken, if desired, and stir in vinegar.

6 servings

285 cal, 6 g fat, 35 g carb, 17 g protein, 5 g fiber
cooking light- eating well recipe
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 08:04
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

I say why not make a nice quinoa salad? There are zillions of recipes on the BB, but I really liked this one, posted by Deanna (I served it room temp on a night of salads):

Kale and Quinoa Pilaf
Yield: 6 (1-cup) servings

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic
1/2 teaspoon peeled fresh ginger -- grated
6 cups kale -- torn
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked quinoa
2 tablespoons soy sauce (low-sodium)
15 ounces garbanzo beans, canned -- drained

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add curry, chili paste, and ginger; sauté 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Serve at room temperature.

You can substitute 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes for the chili sauce.
Canice

cooking light
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 08:05
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Tabbouleh with Beans and Feta

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/4 cups uncooked bulgur or cracked wheat
2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup commercial pesto
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese -- (original recipe called for 3/4 cup or 3 oz)
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
19 ozs garbanzo beans -- rinsed and drained
4 pitas -- (7-inch)

Combine the bulgur and boiling water in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 30
minutes, and drain. Combine pesto and lemon juice; stir with a whisk. Combine
bulgur, pesto mixture, tomatoes, and next 5 ingredients (tomatoes through
chickpeas) in a large bowl; and toss gently to combine. Serve with pita halves, if desired.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 305 Calories; 9g Fat (25.4% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 14mg Cholesterol; 490mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
cooking light
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 08:08
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

I became a lover of Quinoa a couple of years ago. It is so super-nutritious and tastes mild and wonderful. Seems as if it's becoming a more main-stream grain now, so most folks should know what it is.

Please post your favorite recipe using quinoa here...and even if you have a recipe you haven't actually TRIED yet, feel free to post those as well.

Here's to QUINOA!!

Basil Chicken and Zucchini Over Quinoa

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Entrees - Poultry Grains
Tried & True

1 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion
1 small zucchini
1 clove fresh garlic
2 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves -- (or 1 tsp. dried basil)
1/3 cup quinoa
2/3 cup water

Spray a heavy, non-stick pan with cooking spray. Over high heat, brown chicken breast. Remove chicken. Reduce heat to medium. Add olive oil. Slice onion into pan. Slice zucchini on top of onion. Add chopped fresh garlic, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, then top with fresh basil leaves (or dried basil). Place chicken breast on top of vegetables, then cover pan with tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until zucchini is translucent, onions begin to brown, and chicken is cooked through.

In the meantime, rinse quinoa thoroughly in a strainer. Place grain in a small saucepan with 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 10-15 minutes, until all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Place on dinner plate and top with chicken breast. Spoon vegetables over all.

Source:
"Denise Austin's Healthy Cooking"

Per serving: 625 Calories (kcal); 16g Total Fat; (22% calories from fat); 66g Protein; 55g Carbohydrate; 137mg Cholesterol; 180mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 08:10
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

MEXICAN QUINOA PILAF

Serves 4

1 tablespoon butter(smart balance)
1 small yellow onion or large shallot, minced
1 poblano chile, seeded and minced
½ teaspoon chipotle powder
1 1/3 cups quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
2 cups vegetable stock, hot
1 ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced, or 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
Kosher salt
Black pepper in a mill
2 limes
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves

In a medium sauté pan, melt the butter, add the onion or shallot and the chile, and sauté over medium heat until soft and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Add the chipotle powder and quinoa and sauté, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add the stock and tomato or tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, taste, add the juice of 1 lime, correct the seasoning, and transfer to a serving platter. Cut the remianing lime into wedges, add to the platter, scatter the cilantro leaves over the quinoa and serve immediately.

cooking light
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 08:12
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Hearty Kale-Quinoa Soup

2 onions chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 lb mushrooms chopped
10 cups veggie broth
3/4 cup quinoa
1/3 cup pearl barley
1/3 cup lentils
3 carrots, sliced
3 Tbsp tamari (soy sauce)
2 tsp dried dill weed (or 2 Tbsp fresh)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
4 cups kale, chopped coarsely

Saute onions garlic and celery in veggie broth until the onions are translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook 5 min.

Add the broth, tamari, quinoa, lentils, barley and carrots to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and add dill. Simmer one hour.

Add parsley and kale and simmer another 10 min.

This soup really thickens up - you can add some more broth if you want it less stew-like.

cooking light
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 08:13
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Quinoa and Wheat Berry Pilaf
Serves: 4

1/2 cup wheat berries
1 cup vegetable stock or water
1/2 cup quinoa
3/4 cup green onions, including tops, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 cup Shiitake or portobello mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

Cover wheat berries with 2 inches water in small saucepan and soak overnight.

Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer , covered, until tender, 15-20 minutes.

Heat stock to boiling in small saucepan; add quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is tender and stock absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Sauté green onions, bell pepper, and garlic in oil in small saucepan until tender, 3-4 minutes; add mushrooms and sauté until tender, 5-8 minutes. Add peas and cook, covered, until hot, 3-4 minutes.

Combine warm grains, vegetables, and parsley in serving bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper.

Per serving: calories 174, fat 4.7g, 23% calories from fat, cholesterol 0mg, protein 5.8g, carbohydrates 29.1g, fiber 5.1g, sodium 29mg.