Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 02:52
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default easing into a postpartum fitness program

Goal for this weekend: Give birth So my baby is comfortable in there, I can't imagine why - there's no room and I'm constantly squashing it around with contractions and trying to put on socks or shoes or getting something off the ground. But that wasn't the point of this post.

Here's a link for the women who aren't really sure how to "get back" into exercising.. or how to start for the first time in their lives postpartum.

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

edited in: well I can't link to the exact page, but click on "women stuff" then "postpartum"
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 10:45

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

That sounds like a great place I will have to check it out. For me its going to be hard since my exercise space is all filled up with stuff.
Tanya
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 11:32

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I had an amnio done yesterday to check if Eric's lungs were ready to work on their own. It went well, no pain, no complications from the procedure. The are now estimating his weight at 9.5 pounds. That's a 2 pound gain in just a week and a half. And that with me doing low-carb and no-sugar that whole time. So, I can stop feeling guilty that I somehow made him so large with my diet.

We got the amnio results this morning. His lungs aren't quite ready yet, so the doctor's are canceling the induction on Monday. They feel the lungs will be ready by Wednesday, but that's still not guaranteed. I have faith that Eric will be just fine. Jason and I are agreed that we're going to try to have this baby the old-fashioned way. The OB's are really pushing for a C-Section, but all the research I've done says that a true shoulder dystocia is rare, and often an induction and/or the birth mother's position during labor and/or fiddling with the natural progression of labor (i.e. turning the baby, vacuum or forcep delivery, etc) increases those risks. I've decided to forego the epidural hopefully altogether in order to allow myself to get myself into the squat or all-fours postion that's supposed to be much better for pelvic clearance. If I should need the epidural, I'll labor and deliver on my side, not my back.

We'll do a C-Section if it becomes medically necessary. I have faith we'll be just fine during labor and delivery, but I'm not going to be stupid about it.

Through all this my blood sugars and blood pressure have been fine. I'm still maintaining a 25 pound weight loss from early pregnancy. With Eric gaining weight all that time, I know that I've continued to lose weight from my own body at the same time. Very happy and proud of that. Especially knowing that Eric hasn't suffered weight-wise from my not gaining.

The OB's office is going to be discussing my case at their weekly meeting tonight. Probably trying to figure out who on staff is nuts enough to try to deliver me. I've done hours of research on the risks they mentioned when urging me to have an elective C-Section and I feel just as strongly that those risks are minimal and avoidable with the right precautions, positions, and patience.

I will update as soon as there is news. I feel better knowing that we have loved ones out there praying for a good outcome. I can feel it, and it's helping. I just know we can do this and all come home healthy and happy.

HUGS to all!!

p.s. My goals for the next week or so are to relax, enjoy my remaining pregnant time, keep eating as healthy as possible, urge Eric to get those lungs ready, and after my Mom lands in Atlanta tomorrow night to work to get labor started on it's own. According to the OB who checked yesterday I'm already 1-2 cm dilated.

This is all rather interesting to go through at not quite 37 weeks. Not sure if I'm just nuts or in denial, but I'm not really worried or scared anymore. I am just eager for a chance to prove that I can do this.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 14:13

Don't feel like it is something you have done, it seems to me you have done just fine. Remember they generally over estimate baby weight. You can deliver normally, do the best you can. Just keep insisting on what you want, letting them know that you are open if there seems to be a chance of complications when you are in labor and the baby seems to have distress, remind them that you know a C/S poses it's own risk in the baby having trouble breathing after birth, so you would rather try natural. I would suggest to consider an epidural unless you feel that things are progressing well for you so if there is an emergency you don't have to worry about general anesthesia, but I couldn't tell you when during labor to think about it. Go with your instinct. Just hold your ground, as long as they know you understand the risks of every option they should be able to live with your choice. Unfortunately as a nurse I understand their concern about libility if something should go wrong, but remind them you are in control of your choices and should not have to feel pushed in to something you are not comfortable with.
Good luck,
Tanya
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 17:42

BF:

I got a call tonight from the OB after they had their meeting to discuss my case. The entire office voted or agreed or whatever.. They refuse to let me labor. They said if I go into the hospital in labor they will take me to the OR. I can tell you this right now I will not be bullied, scared, pressured into having surgery! I can NOT believe this! I've spent time on the phone with my insurance company and they said I can go to the nearest hospital that's covered and they'll authorize the delivery. I can also switch OB's - a really fun choice at this late date I gotta say. My Mother got my message about this new development and before the voice mail even finished ran to a co-worker who's wife is a midwife and asked for his and her help/advice. This is proving to be a very interesting situation and I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I'm going to be making calls tomorrow to other OB's in my area who are covered by my insurance and try to find one that will let me have a trial of labor. If not, then I'll just have to go into a different hospital on an emergency labor basis. <sigh> It's a pain to have principles. Look at me making trouble. I do have an appointment at the OB's office for a non-stress test tomorrow morning - yes, they still want me to keep my prenatal care up even though I won't submit to an elective C-Section, and an Endocrinologist appointment in the afternoon. I'm going to ask his opinion/advice on this whole thing. I'll update asap!
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 02:27
Registered Member

I don't even know what to say... I can't believe they would do that. Vote and decide what to allow you to do????
(hug) you intuitively know what is best and when you stick to your guns you'll feel so much better in the end!!! We're thinking about you and wishing you the best. I'm sure you know this, but the stress of being squashed out of your body helps stimulate stress hormones which will encourage baby to breathe.. AND stay off your back, there is so much less room for the baby to come out naturally when you're on your back.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 12:19

I agree with Meg here. They should not be allowed to force you into a C-section. Unfortunately it seems to be a running trend. I'm sure they are more concerned that if something goes wrong you will turn around and sue them, than they are for you and the baby. I say find a new Dr. and quickly. A labor trial is just fine, If you you go in and there is distress then that is a completely different thing. As Meg said vaginal birth is better for the baby in getting fluid out of the lungs so they can breath better. There are risks with Large babies, but I tell you as a nurse a C/S always made me nervous, sure most are fine, but getting that fluid out of the lungs and getting the lungs open are tough and if they are somewhat worried about lung development I would want as much out of the lungs as possible to allow them to open up with crying. Stick to your guns, ask lots of questions, and don't be bullied around. Call a lawyer if you need to, to find out what rights you do have and if they can legally force you into this. I would think the most they could do is refuse to treat you, if you don't want to follow "their medical advice". You are definetly intitled to a 2nd opinion, and perhaps a 3rd. That in of its self is reason to talk to other sets of Drs.
Tanya
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 06:41
Registered Member

hey! Im in bed on a german laptop so spelling & grammar will be atrocious..incidentally I have my arm around my new baby boy Hes big! 36cm head, 54 or 56cm long and i forget the weight, around 9 lbs. Labour began sometime btw. 430-5pm, he was born 718 at home in the bedroom. No time for DH who was beside me to catch, this one shot out onto the floor hehehe. fast for a 1st timer eh!!! Will post a birh story when i can type properly.

happy and sore!!
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 10:14

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Congratz! I can't wait to read the full story.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 11:21

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

So are we going to keep this going for postpartum support and goals as well? I'll assume that we are for now, we can always start a separate one too I suppose.

I just restarted really eating well again 2 days ago, so I changed my starting weight to 245. I got up to 260lbs! That was a 46lb gain. Anyhow, I'm ready to get the show on the road. I'm concetrating right now on cutting on the sugar I have let slip in (chocolates here and there, ice cream here and there, soda even!). I mean, in this first week of postpartum recovery I really just didn't care and just wanted to have whatever it was I wanted. Plus we were eating packaged frozen food that people had brought us, etc.

So I've lost 3lbs so far since "restarting" better eating habits. So 28lbs to go to first get to my prepregnancy weight. That will be my first goal.

This week:
1) Continute with eating no grains, no processed foods, only small amounts of fruit and eating lots of raw foods...non-starchy veggies, some raw eggs, raw milk (not too much raw milk though), raw yogurt, raw cheese, and I'm getting more adventurous with raw meats as well. I'm trying to eat mostly raw during the day, and a healthy whole foods cooked meal for dinner.
2) Introduce a small amount of exercise, like 15 minutes of yoga a day or a walk to the store, etc..
3) Drink lots of water every day...drink a big cup every time I nurse Piper
4) Drink lacto-fermented drinks throughout the day to help digestion: kvass, beet kvass, kombucha, kefir, etc.
5) Do my best to get enough sleep...really try for a nap each day

I think that's a good set of goals for now
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 18:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/130 Female 5 feet 4 inch
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi congrats meg on the birth of a baby boy ,the long waited arrival haas come ,
enjoy the moments now
i am very happy for u.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 20:36
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Congrats, Meg!
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 23:37

Okay anyone heard anything from Melissa. I was wondering about her tonight.
Tanya
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 00:06

BF:

I'm still alive, and still pregnant. No induction because of the darn OB's worried about complications from birthing naturally. They want me to have an elective C-Section. I don't want that. Eric seems very content in there, though, so no progress on starting labor naturally. I was on bedrest a couple of days last week due to borderline low amniotic fluids and dehydration on my part. That seems to have resolved itself with lots and lots of fluid intake and taking it easy, though I wasn't strictly in bed the whole time.

I've got another NST tomorrow and hopefully a cervical check. Last time I was 2cm. Pray we've got some progress. DH and I have been trying lots of sex the last week or so. Trying to get things going. Was really hoping with the full moon tonight and all, but no luck. Lots of pressure but that's about it. I've got an appointment on Thursday for another Level 2 and we'll get another weight estimate. DH and I have been considering the C-Section depending on what the results of that scan are. We'll just have to see. I don't want to go that route, but Eric is what matters here.

I do have a call in to a high-risk OB that I am really hoping will take me on and induce me asap. I will update if I hear from her.

Thanks for the concern. I'm sorry I've been so absent.

HUGS
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 12:27

I was just wondering what was going on with you. Hope all goes well. Too bad about the full moon, I actually heard a study awhile ago that more babies are born on New moons not full moons. Pray for a good storm to come in! Take care,
Tanya