Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 23:30
Registered Member

Plan: I make it up as I go
Stats: 265/234/215 Male 74 in and shrinking
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default A question about BP

Dropping a few pounds has helped my BP, but it's still up a bit and I'd like to do something about it without spending a bunch of money on doctors and expensive medications.
Does anyone know of anything over-the-counter or even a folk medicine that will lower BP a little? I don't need much, but I'd feel a little more secure if mine were down a couple points.
I understand some diuretics can drop BP a little. What's a good, cheap diuretic that doesn't have all of the extra stuff for womens TOM?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 16:47
Registered Member

BF:

Has anyone (besides me) noticed a reduced incidence of colds and alergic symptoms while LC'ing?
I just don't seem to get whatever is going around when I'm eating this way. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed an immune system boost?
Also, what about dry, chapped hands? Never had them before but all winter my hands have been rough and scratchy and my hands are chapped.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 17:55
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi I wish (and so do all my family and friends) my wind would go away. Maybe i'm not strict enough LC for that.
But prior to LC had daily migraines. These are totally gone. only have one if i am very naughty. constipation - gone, skin - clear, sleeping - much closer to normal ( was 16 -20 hrs per day, now 8 - 12 hrs per day), more energy,candida now almost non existant, used to be frequent., Fibromyalgia (non arthritic joint pain) only flares up when i am naughty, ANd my brain works better, i'm not repeating myself anywhere near as often . One strange symptom is that it has reduced the recall or potency of my dreams, i used to have very wierd dreams, like i was on drugs or something ( i wasnt) and really great recall of them.

Off track for a moment, i noticed up the page that discussion was on Vioxx and Selebrex. my DH was on vioxx, Then they were banned in Australia as they were considered too daqngerous so DR put him on Selebrex, over next few months noticed huge weight gain despite the fact his food input had not changed , this is apparently is a very common side effect, and then Selebrex also was banned in Australia because it too was deemed too dangerous. I don't know what research they based the withdrawal on, but i would be careful if i were on it, unfortunately there are no t really any substitutes i know of, DH now has to grin and bear it.
Anyway just thought i'd add my two bobs worth
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 18:11

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
That was exactly my reaction. It worked great for me. I didn't even feel any of the old pain, unless I really overdid it. But then, I don't know if the results of my overactivity were from arthritis or just plain being beat.

Yes, the Vioxx worked so well for me, I felt better than when I was a kid. (my arthritis kicked in when I was about 15 or 16. I started going to the dr for various aches and pains when I was 17. They didn't see the bone spurs on my x-rays until I was 24.) I would rather run the risk of having health problems and have whatever time is left PAIN FREE than walk with a cane, crutches, walker or perhaps get stuck in a wheelchair. With the decision that has been made for me, I don't have the right to make that choice for myself. It's funny, I can decide to smoke and take a risk of cancer, emphysema, stroke or whatever else, but I can't decide to take Vioxx, something that actually makes me feel better.
I'd rather take the Vioxx and take BP meds if I get hypertension. It sure felt good to not hurt.

I guess you know this, but Vioxx is temporarily being taken off the market for adverse side effects.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 18:14

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:

Quote:
Dropping a few pounds has helped my BP, but it's still up a bit and I'd like to do something about it without spending a bunch of money on doctors and expensive medications.
Does anyone know of anything over-the-counter or even a folk medicine that will lower BP a little? I don't need much, but I'd feel a little more secure if mine were down a couple points.
I understand some diuretics can drop BP a little. What's a good, cheap diuretic that doesn't have all of the extra stuff for womens TOM?

Relaxation and meditation (stress control) can bring down your bp, in addition to giving up caffeine.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 08:19

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Controlled insulin

Quote:
Has anyone (besides me) noticed a reduced incidence of colds and alergic symptoms while LC'ing?
I just don't seem to get whatever is going around when I'm eating this way. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed an immune system boost?
Also, what about dry, chapped hands? Never had them before but all winter my hands have been rough and scratchy and my hands are chapped.

1. Yes, when you control insulin you change major aspects of your autoimmune system so it wouldn't surprise me that you would see increased immunity. For me, this is a good thing because ALSO as a result of LC (or perhaps age, or perhaps increased awareness), I can't tolerate any of the traditional cold medicines any more.

2. Are you taking any fish oil? If not, you might look into some supplementation there. For me, over-dry skin is more a dietary symptom than a lotion problem.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 11:57
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnewmom
I guess you know this, but Vioxx is temporarily being taken off the market for adverse side effects.

Yes, the side effects were in a relatively small percentage of the population that took the drug. On the other hand, the arthritis is painful for EVERYONE who has the condition. For some it is almost enough to leave us sitting around all the time.
All I'm saying is, leave it up to me to make that decision. People know the risks of smoking yet they continue to do it every day. People know that being overweight will cause heart attacks and strokes but they don't do anything about it. All I want is to be allowed to make those decisions for myself.
If smoking, a known threat to life, is considered personal choice, why not Vioxx? I'd rather take the gamble and be relatively pain free.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 11:59
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
Are you taking any fish oil? If not, you might look into some supplementation there. For me, over-dry skin is more a dietary symptom than a lotion problem.

Not really, but I sure eat a lot of salmon. mmmm... love salmon.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.5/157.5/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Redbeard,
Ever try SAM-e for the joints? I can't live without it.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 16:05

Stats: 189/137/130 Female 66.8 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I have suffered from rheumatoid arthritis since the age of 6, and although it disappeared for a few years, it came back about a year ago, this time affecting my hands. I have only been on induction for 2 weeks and I've noticed that the morning pain and stiffness have completely gone, and the strength in my fingers seems to be coming back. This after only two weeks and no drugs at all. My regular headaches have gone and insomnia as well. I have also heard that wheat is suspected to be a factor in arthritis - I am eating red meat though.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 07:42

Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

Yes, my allergies are much more controlable. One weird thing that I guess can be attributed to an allergy of some kind was ALWAYS sneezing and having to blow my nose during eating, usually dinner. I no longer have to do it.

One other thing...During the last year and a half of low carbing my eyesight has gotten considerably better. There was a time that I was considered legally blind(but is correctable with lenses) with a horrible astigmatism. I got my eyes checked this last week and my astigmatism is almost gone. It's amazing and I can only atribute this to low carbing.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 08:55

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:

Since LCing.........I have noticed a change in bloating and.......uhh hmmmm....gas I've also haven't had to burp as often as I use to and I've been eating a lot what would be considered "gassy" vegetables such as broccoli, cucumbers, cabbage, and cauliflower.

Patty
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 13:58
Registered Member

BF:

Lactose (milk sugar), potatoes and beans are the biggest offender for causing MY gas.
I haven't said anything about the reduced gas to my kids, but they have complained in the past, before I was LC'ing. (sorry about the topic) They don't complain any more but I don't know if they've put it together.
My BP is RIGHT ON THE NUMBERS today. WOO-HOO!!!
I knew it would go down if I could just drop a few pounds, and it has.

Last edited by Redbeard : Mon, Feb-07-05 at 17:49.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 18:40

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:

Redbeard: I like your "plan"....lol!! How does that saying go?? "If it's not broken.....don't fix it!" And I mean this as a compliment.

Patty
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 11:36
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrcmcc6
I like your "plan"....lol!!

um... er... thanks???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrcmcc6
How does that saying go?? "If it's not broken.....don't fix it!" And I mean this as a compliment.

Yea, it does seem to be working for me. I think it's more of an awareness of where all those nasty carbs are comming from. Last night I went to dinner with a bunch of friends. It is always good to go have a chat with these folks, especially since we have so much in common. But they picked a Tai restaurant!!! How do you eat THERE without going carb crazy?
Everything is thickened with corn starch or worse and it's all served on rice. I decided to cheat for the night and pay the consequences. But I'm back on course today. Like I said, my plan is to make it up as I go along. It works for me.
How did you get that great little ticker across the bottom of your post? I want one of them too!!!