Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 23:48

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5 Feet 0 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

He hasn't taken any more money than any other psychologist out there.

There is a lot of crap...a lot of fake manufactured crap in Atkins bars. It might not be the dreaded evil sugar, but sugar alcohols are just as horrible.

If you do not pay attention to something, you really cannot comment on it then can you? I myself, used to hate Dr. Phil, until I actually listened to what he was really saying, instead of simply hearing whatever useless analogy he rambles off. I am not saying he is the best shrink out there, and I would not say he helps millions but I do know that some people benefit from his way of thinking.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 00:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

IMHO, bashing anyone or any program without at least READING the book and trying to understand it isn't good, whether it's someone calling Atkins the "Cheese and Meat Diet" or saying Dr Phil is full of crap. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but rejecting him based on second hand information or skimming a book without trying to understand it (LOOKING for "proof" that it's wrong) is really not the way to go.

If anyone's up for a discussion of the plan, has READ it, and wants to explain to me how it's wrong, I'm game. Otherwise, this thread seems to be degenerating into "Is not!".."Is too!"...
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 00:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good point, Potatofree.

But to put the other point of view, why bother reading a plan whose author advocates the consumption of bars that are full of sugar, corn syrup etc?

I have to admit I would have no interest whatsoever in such a plan.

Yes, Dr Atkins made money from selling lots of "products," but no one can possibly compare sugar alcohols with sugar itself. Sugar alcohols may make some folk stall, but they still don't pack the punch that sugar does. [For more information on sugar alcohols, see Low Carb Tips, on the orange bar at the top of the screen.]

Rosebud
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 00:41
Fully Caffeinated

Rosebud-- exactly my point. The Ultimate Weight Solution doesn't advocate the use of the bars any more than Atkins Advocated the use of the Advantage or Endulge bars. In passing, he mentioned that shakes and bars are handy for an OCCASIONAL snack. Atkins never out and out advocate the use of bars or shakes either.

His book contains a chapter on general nutrition guidelines. He has a new booklet out in response to people on the website asking him for more info on exactly what to eat.

Picking apart the ingredients of the bars isn't a discussion of his program, which no matter WHAT food plan you plug into it, DOES help a lot of people get a grip on what they need to do to make weight loss possible.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 00:44
Fully Caffeinated

... and I forgot to add:

Why read a plan whose author advocates eating sugar? I learned a lot from reading CAD, and as part of your Reward Meal, they make it clear that you can eat dessert...even SUGAR. It doesn't negate the other things I learned from the book.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 00:45
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Another good point, Ms Potatofree.

But I have to return to the first post in this thread for the other reason I wouldn't waste my time reading his book. It may be a wonderful book - I'm not disputing that - but I am simply not interested in anyone's diet who out and out poo poos low carbing.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 00:47
Fully Caffeinated

<shrug> And I prefer not to miss out on good information because I disagree with one point someone made. I'd have missed a lot of good stuff on the board if I did that.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 23:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 197/196/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I to saw that show as well on my day off. I totally agree with you madcabbit-well said!
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 00:23

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've never seen the show, but I have read the book. Even ignoring the dietary information, I was disappointed in the rest of the book. It was nothing new. I received the same information from WW and Thin Within. It is information that is useful to most dieters so it has value to people who don't have this information. I was just hoping for some new insights that might help someone who has been dieting as long as I have.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 18:34
Living Healthy

Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

The show finally aired here today, and although I normally DO like Dr. Phil I was disappointed in his lack of knowledge about the lc woe. HOWEVER, that doesn't undo all the good. I don't agree with my family and friends all the time, but I don't stop respecting them for a difference of opinion.

But, something happened during the show that I thought was hilarious (I have a kind of off-the-wall sense of humor). The "closed captioning for this show was provided by" commercial flashed to an ad by GNC--ADVERTISING ATKINS PRODUCTS!

I do think there's something we can learn from listening, and not bashing, other programs. I've made my choice of programs, and nothing is going to change that, but that doesn't mean I can't still learn from what others are doing. And, I did like what Dr. Phil had to say about making the time for exercise (my personal weak point).
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 20:13

Plan: portioned protein lowcarb
Stats: 240/182/189 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 114%

ok heres my opinion (again hehe) but first some apparent facts:
Atkins works! period.
Look at all the people in this forum who are succeeding on this plan.
It is working for me!
(now the opinion)
Knowing what I know now.. and the experience I have had... My impression of anyone who bashes atkins is that they are an Idiot. (although I guess they could be a smart person who is wrongly informed or gullible and buys everything the 6 o'clock news tells them)
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 20:36
Fully Caffeinated

Quickfast-- what about all the people it DIDN'T work for? We get quite a few "drive-by" dieters here... and a few that have struggled to lose and given up. Atkins isn't the be-all and end all. It's just not suited for everyone.

Dr Phil kept emphasizing eliminating refined sugar anwhite rice, etc. His plan seems similar to the Sugarbusters plan, which has helped a lot of people, even if it isn't Atkins.

Even I, a hardcore Dr Phil fan, was a bit disappointed about the lead-in about the yo-yo dieter that "lost her health" to "high-protein" and the story itself was more about phen-fen, but to me, the rest of his program is sound, even if it isn't strictly low-carb.

Katwoman-- well put.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 20:43
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

I agree with potato free and others who say it is unfair to judge Dr Phil's weight loss plan based on his appearance. Even though experience lends credibility, I would sooner trust the word of a very educated man who had never personally experienced what he was educated in, than the word of someone who did have first hand experienced, but it was confined only to themselves.

The person with education has experienced the fruits of thousands of examples through his studies, the first hand experience guy has only seen one... himself.

Besides, whenever I see some buff ripped guy selling supplements or peddling health products my gut instinct is to scoff and say "yeah right". You don't look like Mr. Universe Or Miss America by following a health plan that is designed to be casual and appeal to the masses. Yea, I am sure Susan Summers stays in good shape only with a thigh master too .

However, I also agree with others who say Dr. Phil is in no position to give nutritional advice. The man really has no idea what is healthy and what is not, at least not any more than us laymen do. He never owned a medicinal practice, and he has a doctorate in psychology NOT medicine.

One more thing... for those who say Dr. Phils "shape up" bars are comparable to atkins bars? Get real! THere is no comparison. The atkins plan is very restrictive, the simple fact is on atkins you simplpy cannot eat some things. Low carb products provide us nutritious alternatives to some of our favorite foods. Yes, like all things they should be consumed in moderation. However as far as I am aware the Dr. Phil bars are strictly greed motivated. His plan doesn't limit or forbid the consumption of some unhealthy foods... in fact, as has been displayed here, his very own nurtrition bars are nothing but sugar!

So, not only is Atkins Nutritionals justified in providing "diet food" to make the plan more attractive to follow, but the Atkins products are of a much much higher quality and health standard than shape up products.

Might as well pop a multivitamin and eat a candy bar than waste your money on shape up products, it would be the same thing only better tasting .
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 20:49
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziesgirl
He hasn't taken any more money than any other psychologist out there.

There is a lot of crap...a lot of fake manufactured crap in Atkins bars. It might not be the dreaded evil sugar, but sugar alcohols are just as horrible.

If you do not pay attention to something, you really cannot comment on it then can you? I myself, used to hate Dr. Phil, until I actually listened to what he was really saying, instead of simply hearing whatever useless analogy he rambles off. I am not saying he is the best shrink out there, and I would not say he helps millions but I do know that some people benefit from his way of thinking.

Are sugar alcohols as "evil" as refined sugar? Lets examine that statement.

Sugar alcohols provide less calories per gram than sugar - so, sugar alcohols are less energy dense and raise blood sugar higher.

Sugar alcohols exacerbate insulin response to a much smaller degree than sugar - so we can conclude sugar alcohols are the much wiser choice for people with glucose metabolism problems like diabetes, or people who need to lose weight.

Plus, because there is more calories and insulin response in regular sugar than with sugar alcohols, the regular sugar will contribute to cyclical weight gain/binging behavior to a greater degree.

Sorry, but the reported side effects of sugar alcohols like indigestion and gas are simply not comparable to the side effects of real processed pure sugar. Give me sugar acohols any day over the real stuff.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 22:05
Registered Member

Stats: 245/199/170 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 61%

Atkins works! period. . .
Look at all the people in this forum who are succeeding on this plan.
It is working for me!

(now the opinion)
. . . My impression of anyone who bashes atkins is that they are an Idiot.

Quickfast, you are quite correct, but you need to extend your analysis.

Dr. Phil is a greedy, fat slob and an idiot. I suspect he is too pre-occupied with peddling his bars of sugar and HFCS to take time to understand Atkins.