Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 20:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaw00
Most of the carbs get eaten up by the cultures. It's the same as if you make the yogurt with milk. If you use a recipe with dried milk you would end up with yogurt that had 4 carbs. If you use cream you have yogurt with 2 carbs.

Sorry, Lisa. If you go back and read the beginning of this thread, you'll find that isn't true. Yogurt is still a very healthy thing to have in your diet, but the carbs are higher than we've been lead to believe and the full amount needs to be counted towards your daily carb allowance.
I've made yogurt with heavy cream and it's delicious, but I only have half a cup at a time and count the full amount of carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 21:31
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

No, that's the point of Doreen's original post in this thread -- that most of the carbs *don't* get eaten up by the cultures, so you have to count most of them.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 09:14

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I decided to add Yogurt to my diet since I am exersizing everyday now. I found that I can eat a 1/2 cup serving of the Stonyfield Farms Whole Milk Yogurt and not have a problem. Like Doreen I really enjoy it plain with just a touch of davinci's or Strawberry SF Jam. Yummy!
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: Gold Standard
Stats: 184/127/134 Female 65.5
BF:38/21/20
Progress: 114%

I make my yogurt just like lisaw00 suggested. It's rich and creamy and so easy to make. I posted the same recipe in another forum, and everyone's been going crazy over it. Whether you used the yogurt exception or not, 2 g or 5.3 g for a 1/2 cup is worth it, in my opinion, if you really do like plain yogurt. I mix ground flaxseed meal in mine, to get my fiber. I need the yogurt, due to food sensitivies, and it is a very satisfying breakfast or even dessert at night.

I'll have to try fermenting it for 24 hours, and see if I like it. That could be fun, especially if adding cucumbers, dill & salt .... "Mast va Khiar".
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:46

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Glad I found this thread

I've recently started to eat Greek Yogurt (mainly after workouts with flavoured whey protein powder - and which is really yummy) and I was interested as to whether the carbs could actually be lower than stated, as per the yoghurt exception.

I have to say that I was very dubious when I read that original article, and obviously from what I've read here, I was right to be.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 10:32

Plan: General LC/Protein Power
Stats: 158.8/142/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 58%

This thread answered all of my questions!! THANK YOU FOR THE METICULOUS RESEARCH!! My yogurt snacks will need to be a bit more contained to a half-cup instead of a full cup. Again, thank you for clearing this up.
-A much appreciative (but somewhat saddened) yogurt lover
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 15:40

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default not quite plain yoghurt

Doreen, I do like plain yoghurt! And I believe there is truth in the ads that claim adding dairy helps weight loss programs.

PLain yoghurt can't be the sour kind discussed above so it was probably stopped even earlier (I think Dannon is what I eat - its turquoise/white).

But I also often add cinnamon and a tiny "spritz" of sweetener. It is probably an acquired taste: Cinnamon and sugar is what we used to put on "thick milk" back in Germany when I was a kid - thick milk is what you get when from pasteurized milk when you leave it out too long. I don't think one can legally buy such milk in the US. Any of you others know?
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 16:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
thick milk is what you get when from pasteurized milk when you leave it out too long. I don't think one can legally buy such milk in the US. Any of you others know?

Um doesn't that just sour it? I know you can't buy that in the stores for sure
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 06:54
Midas in reverse

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

This question is mostly academic, but:
For those of us who are lactose-intolerant--can't digest lactose--get diahrrea from eating lactose-containing food, etc., would it be safe to assume that the lactose-contributing carbs can therefore be ignored/subtracted from the total, similar to fiber??

I can't eat yogurt because of what it does to me, and cheese and ice cream to a lesser extent. But assuming I am a masochist for the moment and I went ahead and DID eat some, wouldn't the lactose grams be essentially wasted?
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 07:07
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

[edit]

Not having anything scientific to say, I erased my post.

Last edited by gilibel : Sat, Apr-03-04 at 11:07.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 09:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Azraelle, I think you're right, but I hope no one wants to put him/herself through that!

Now, if Lactaid pills were taken, that's the missing enzyme, so the lactose would be absorbed. And don't be fooled by Lactaid's lactose free products - they contain the same amount of sugars. Probably plain ol' sucrose.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 23:15

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Very interesting thread. Thank you for sharing the research, Doreen. When I read the article about the yogurt exception I just couldn't bring myself to believe it...now I'm glad I didn't.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-04, 16:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

Thanks for the info Doreen! I'll cross yogurt off my grocery list until I am a little closer to my goal.

Andrea
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know about regular yogurt but a 6 ounce cup of hoods lc yogurt is quite delicious at only 3 carbs. It's thick and creamy like a custard. They are way better than danon's (though unfortunately more expensive), contain tons of protein, and all flavors are good (except the banana & strawberry which tasted really weird and chemically to me for some reason).
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 17:30

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Interesting post. I'm not that big of a yogurt fan myself, but I do like it from time to time. Actually, I probably wouldn't miss flavored yogurt at all, nor plain (sorry, Doreen), but oh my, I could eat tzatziki every single day of my life, even if I had to make the yogurt from scratch all the time.

A former Indian coworker of mine (still Indian, I presume, but we no longer work together) told me that in India they basically just have a running culture and always have some brewing. I've also found that the homemade is not runny once you drain the whey from it.