Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 12:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico32
Chiming in on the CarbWise bar love! YUMMY. I can't stand Atkins, Carbsense or Keto bars. They all taste like ass.

I saw these in Walmart for $1.42/bar 2 weeks ago, and tried them. All of the flavors are sooo YUMMY! And definately filling. I'm going to buy these by the box from now on. They are a big seller too, I went the other day and they were out of nearly all of them.

The reason they may be out of them, is because 2 weeks ago, there was a coupon for a FREE ONE in the paper. I was fortunate to get several coupons and plan on going to Walmart tomorrow to get some. See if you can do a trade or something for these FREE (up to $2.29) coupons.

Heidi
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 12:26
Registered Member

Stats: 193.5/185/145 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 18%

Just a little side note...some people don't handle those bars very well, and I don't mean from a weight loss standpoint. For whatever reason, eating an Atkins bar makes me violently ill for the following three to four hours, and my stomach will take every effort to completely empty itself (translation: I spend the next few hours vomiting my brains out). I haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is, as I have never had an identified food allergy, but just something to keep in mind!
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 12:32
Registered Member

Stats: 192/179/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 17%

I tired the Carbwise bars and hated them! Yuck, but I hate all of those bars...taste terrible to me. I have hypothyroidism the SF candies did TERRIBLE things to me! But I have to say I LOVED THEM! They taste incredible, but I physically can't stop eating them, then I am horribly sick, and they raise my blood sugar. I need to avoid all together because I fear they cause the same cravings as if I had eaten a pop-tart...not to mention the horrible pains. But what does the fact that I can't stop thinking about how good they taste tell you?????? I am an addict!

Elle
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:33

Plan: SB
Stats: 279/271.5/180 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I found Advantage bars at WalMart here in Albuquerque for $1.59! Not too bad a deal I guess! There are a lot of health food stores here that stock low carb products, but they're expensive. WalMart is doing a great job of bringing in low carb products. I get my fav, LeCarb ice cream at WM for $2.19 a quart. OF course, they're always sold out of my favorite - Chocolate Almond! Seems to me they would notice that the low carb products don't stay on the shelves too long!
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:10

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

anyone know how to enter bars, any brand, in fitday? where do you enter the sugar alcohols? If you enter it in the alcohols field, it thows off the other counts, becaise it thinks it's booze.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 13:00

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

They do list glycerin on the ingredient list, atleast on the "smores" kind.. Which BTW is very very tasty, and only 2 net carbs for the whole thing!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 15:21

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I just tried a CarbWise bar for the first time... nothing else at the Duane Reade... WOW!!! SOOOOOO good. And cheaper. I might opt for these over Atkins bars every once in a while. 1 more carb than the PB Atkins bar... but who cares? It's CRUNCHY. Ooooo... I miss rice krispie treats... but with these around, not so much anymore.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 20:17

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default OK, now I'm a little nervous

I overindulged on the LC bars this weekend. Yes...it's that TOM and I really, really crave chocolate. Rather than cheat and eat the real stuff, I head to Wal-Mart...which reminds me, it surprises me that everyone is seeing the Advantage & other LC bars and chocolate costing so much. I pay $1.50 per Advantage bar at WM, and $.96 for Carbolite chocolate bars.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm one of those people whom sugar alcohols seems to have absolutely NO effect on. For example: I ate 3 (yes, THREE!) yesterday--an Advantage choc. decadence bar (2 net), a Carbolite PB cup (1.1 net), and a Carbolite chewy caramel thing (0.7 net). Felt great. Not a problem at all.

Sigh. And then tonight. I had (get ready for this): a Carbwise S'Mores bar (2 net), Lemon bar (4 net), and a Carb Solutions chocolate peanut butter (2 net). I feel fine. No internal problems whatsoever. Which is weird....I've eaten six of these things loaded with sugar alcohols in the last 24 hours....some people eat one and sit in the bathroom for an hour...
So, I did a search and found this thread. And now, I'm worried about this hypothyroidism thing. If a sign of this is not being effected by sugar alcohols, then maybe I have a problem.

I'm gonna go do an internet search and see what I can find. In the meantime, does anybody have anymore info on hypothyroidism?? Is lack of "response" to sugar alcohols really a sign of it?

Thanks in advance
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 19:00

Stats: 325/289/180 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Hey everyone, i love the carbwise bars also especially the peanut butter ones. However, you might want to check the ingredients. They have sugar listed. I think it is listed as dextrose.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 19:29

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_0001
Hi Gaijingal - thanks - do you know of any other low-carb bars that are cheaper than Advantage in the T.O. area? I've had little luck - I'm in Brampton area and even Herbie's, which usually has amazing prices, is at the $2.99 price point. Was told Zehrs or Loblaws have them cheaper at $1.99 but was hoping I'd be able to find a cheaper product - do you know if our Walmarts or Zellers would carry them?

Re: the pharmacist - I think she was comparing only the nutritional info item by item - and Advantage bars list carbs as 22, same as the Life bars - but wouldn't the sugar content then be contributing to the carb listing on the Life bar? I'm confused as to how they could be the same carb count when one has sugar and one used Splenda.

Advantage bars are $1.89 at Walmart. Atkins Endulge bars are 94 cents.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 19:58
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

The peanut butter is ok, but the chocolate tastes like poop.