Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-16, 20:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Yea OZ isn't grams Jenious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
No. That's not true at all. 25 oz of fat = 709 grams of fat. Multiply that by 9 calories/gram to get the total calories: that would be 6381 calories in 25 oz of fat.

Oh duh ... all this fat has fried my brain ...
25 oz of probably 80-90% protein. But I stand corrected, pushing well over 3000 cals.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-16, 20:35
Registered Member

BF:

I am probably keto adapted at this point, I am doing these fasts to get insulin sensitivity back of course.
The Keto flu hit me and I shivered, on a 90+ degree day.
I am now optimized to burn fat, and hence no side effects.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-16, 09:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinath_69
Oh duh ... all this fat has fried my brain ...
25 oz of probably 80-90% protein. But I stand corrected, pushing well over 3000 cals.
Thanks.
Srinath.

Your guesses are pretty wild. I'd suggest using a nutrition website if you really want to know. This one is pretty good: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Meat is mostly water. It is only about 20% protein raw. Cooking removes a lot of water and then it is about 30% protein.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-16, 15:34
Registered Member

BF:

Naaaa I forgot to multiply it by 28, I went from oz to calories, assuming 5 or so cals per gram on average for beef.
I said 80% protein cos the package said 80% (or 90%) lean beef.
Anyway that site says 329 gm, 1000 calories. I ate 750+ leaving me closer to 2500. Then of course all that butter during the day.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-16, 17:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Butter is about 100/tbsp. So, yeah, if you had 5 coffees with butter, about 3K.

OTOH, you are a guy, and still have a fair amount of weight to lose. You are probably still going to lose on a slightly higher cal amount of intake.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-16, 19:26
Registered Member

BF:

I only had a total of 3 tbsp butter today, split into 5 coffees, yesterday, I had 4 coffees and maybe 2.5 tbsp. 2tbsp butter in 1 coffee would be damn near undrinkable IMHO, but of source I know I am having 5 coffees ~ the start of the day, so I don't dunk 2 tbsp in the first one.

Today I started eating 8:31pm and finished by 9:11 and I had a big chicken salad. The equivalent of 1.5 chicken breasts, about 1lb uncooked worth, and the usual green olives, endives, onions mushrooms, alfalfa sprouts, arugula and 2 sheets of Pepperjack cheese. I'd count it as 4-5 gm carb max. Oh yea olive oil ~2tbsp worth.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-16, 10:22
Registered Member

BF:

Butter + MCT oil in coffee today, yea no difference, these 2 just disappear into the coffee. in fact they improve weak coffee and they mellow out super stiff coffee is my feel of butter, MCT oil too I think has no taste and likely to do this.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-16, 10:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinath_69
Naaaa I forgot to multiply it by 28, I went from oz to calories, assuming 5 or so cals per gram on average for beef.
I said 80% protein cos the package said 80% (or 90%) lean beef.
Anyway that site says 329 gm, 1000 calories. I ate 750+ leaving me closer to 2500. Then of course all that butter during the day.
Thanks.
Srinath.

Ah, I take things fore granted everyone knows how to decode nutrition labels. Which isn't necessarily true, especially if you're not used to looking at them, which is probably true for 95% of the people out there.

Steak isn't 80% protein. If anything it was referring to your RDA for protein or what percentage of calories were protein calories and it was referring to one serving size.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Healt...sp#.V91wA_ArJhE
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-16, 15:23
Registered Member

BF:

I nearly fainted today. I have had an erratic work schedule the last few days and was trying to sleep ~11:30 after I had just had the coffee+butter+MCT. I felt my stomach churning and tried to get to the bathroom, and that get up and walk across the house nearly resulted in me walking into a wall or something. I felt very very like I had been heavily drunk.
Deciding that I should get back to bed, I essentially stumbled back to bed drenched in sweat.
My thought was low BP and hypoglycemia. I decided I need some sugar, stat. My wife brought me granola bar and 3 sips of Gatorade. I had it and instantly felt better.
Then I tried to sleep, and maybe I did sleep, but ~1 hr later I shivered for 10-20 mins. I had only been awake for ~90 mins prior to that, having been awake through 4am last night.

I'm diagnosing this as low BP, hypoglycemia, and dehydration followed by caffeine and MCT oil. Too much of MCT oil in 1 swoop.

I am thinking I'll eat tonight ~ 7 and resume the 24 hour fast, and split the MCT oil into 4 cups of coffee instead of 1.

My carb count today is probably over 20 already. Would this hurt the ketoadapted process I seem to have had. Should I just have waited out the fainting ? In case it happens next time.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-16, 15:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Do you think that you might do better with coconut oil, which contains lesser concentration of the MCT?

Also, are you testing your BGs? If not, it seems prudent to do so.

"Diagnosing" oneself purely by symptoms seems a bit imprudent, when BG monitors are available pretty much anywhere.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-16, 16:14
Registered Member

BF:
Default Forgot coconut oil

Being from India I have eaten coconut oil nearly since birth, in fact we would oil our hair with it as well. Yum, but I'll be fine with MCT oil, just not 2 tbsp. in 1 swoop after a weird up and down night in a cup of coffee. I should do 1 tea spoon X 4-5, and I should be fine, just like butter. I was thinking I may only have 1-2 cup of coffee today and hence I over did it. Especially since it was not vile tasting.

Blood glucose ? No. I guess I should start doing.
Also I must have had 5-6 gm carbs In the bar and Gatorade, would that kick me off the diet or the fast ?
I am thinking of eating pretty soon and going 24 hours from then.

And sadly, I don't think I am getting re-sensitized to sugar, the bar felt not extremely sweet and Gatorade felt salty. So I might as well go back to drinking tea with Splenda or something.

Thanks.
Srinath.

Last edited by Srinath_69 : Sat, Sep-17-16 at 16:17. Reason: Forgot
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-16, 17:09

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

As long as that was a one time thing with the sugar, you should be fine and still fat adapted. It does sound like low blood sugar. It happened to me in the beginning, too. I bought a package of mints to chew if needed. I used them a few times and haven't needed them since. You should monitor glucose.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-16, 03:43
Registered Member

BF:

I pretty much had a "keto flu" like feel ~90 mins after eating that. So I had a question about that.

The first time it took 2+ days to go into keto, and keto flu lasted a week+. Now it took me 90 mins and it lasted 20 mins max. So lets say I do this for 6+ months and am ~ my ideal weight of 162 lbs. Then I drop off the diet, and eat 300 gm carbs a day like I have for the last 47 years. So in 3-4 years I get back to 235lbs.
Then I decide to go back to LCHF diet. Would it be a reasonable assumption that I will get into keto a lot faster ???

Also the insulin sensitivity - Say I do intermittent fasting and get the sensitivity back, could the sensitivity go away if I am back to where I was with weight and diet.

Yea 3yrs for 60 lb weight gain is really terrible. I hope I never do that.

I have noticed quitting sugar is a lot like quitting smoking in my mind. Lot of people associate smoking with stress. I think being in a new house and a new city and a new job, where I have never tripped out on sugar helps forget the sugar.

I am in high stress, but no memories of the comforting sugar in my tea (crude way to put it, but true enough).
I am hoping to replace those stressful moments and comforting memories of tea with black coffee with MCT and Butter. And to help me along, my work has Flavia, the best office coffee delivery system I can imagine. So I'll hopefully say "coffee is comforting, tea, meeh I don't care much.

However I should also say - I think I got the weight and the Pre-diabetes due to the rice, which I used to eat in copious amounts, breads (which was a lot less but mostly in the form of pizza) and the absolute killer - Mexican food. Those free chips in the beginning they bring out, absolute murder. I'd eat 2-3 of those, and box up most of my food and take it home, only to eat it over the next 3-4 days with - you guessed it, more chips. In fact I'd order food that worked well with those chips in the leftover stage. Yeesh ... I have now broken that habit, if someone even mentions taco I'll throw up.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-16, 08:02

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

[QUOTE=Srinath_69]

Also the insulin sensitivity - Say I do intermittent fasting and get the sensitivity back, could the sensitivity go away if I am back to where I was with weight and diet.

From what I've read and videos I've watched, once you're fat adapted, you can bounce back from one indescretion pretty quickly. I did see one opinion that it could take three weeks, though, so I guess it's pretty individual.

If you have a look through introductions and journals here, you will find many examples of "I am back to low carb" stories. That should answer your question. If you go back to your old way of eating, your insulin resistance will return, as will the excess weight and poorer health.

Many here agree that this is not a weight loss diet alone, but a lifetime way of eating for much better health. This is my first time losing weight this way and I feel so much better (and my glucose and blood pressure are now normal) that I have adopted that attitude, as well. I will never return to my high carb lifestyle. Besides, I love butter!
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-16, 09:16
Registered Member

BF:

Yea I think I am going to be under 100 carb max for the rest of my life, and I will get to that stage in a year or so.

But my question was - do you get into ketosis faster and easier the second time around ? or is it harder and takes longer and is less effective.

Let me read the return to low carb posts.

Thanks.
Srinath.