Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 15:01

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Only did 35 minutes on the elliptical on Thurs. AM, about 417 calories.

Friday's Circuit: sets x15, 3 circuits

Leg Extensions (singles) - 40
Flyes ( Machine) - 45
Vertical Row - 60
Leg Curls (singles) - 40
Bent Lateral Raises (3 lbs. R) - 10
Wide Grip Pulldown - 60
Regular Calf Raises - 60
Triceps Kickbacks - 10
Standing Biceps Curls - 12
Bicycle x40
Knee ups x15
Oblique crunches x20
Center Crunches x20

Actually felt pretty good the whole time. I got a little nauseous near the end of the 3rd circuit, but nothing near as bad as the first couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 19:00

BF:

I've been lazy and missed a few days of posting. Here's workouts from Monday and today.

Monday, May 6: AM Cardio
Had to start on the stairmaster because some goofy girls (who've NEVER been there before) showed up 5 minutes before me and they were on the elliptical and the treadmills. But, I only had to endure about 5 minutes of that horrid machine before they got bored and left! So, I got on the elliptical and did another 35 minutes. Forgot to check how many calories, pace, etc.

PM UBWO BFL Sets x12, x10, x8, x6, x12 superset x12
Vertical Chest Press - 50, 70, 80, 90, 80
DB Chest Press - 40

DB Bent Over Lat Raises - 8, 10, 12, 15, 12 (R 5)
Side Raises - 10 (R 5)

Vertical Row - 50, 70, 80, 90, 80
Lat Pull - 80

Triceps Kickbacks - 8, 10, 12, 15, 12
Triceps Pullovers - 20

Biceps Curls - 10, 12, 15, 20, 15 (asst'd 3 on L)
Hammer Curls - 15

Biceps really burned and I think I did a better job of isolating my triceps as I was lifting. My weight was up a 1/2 lb this morning (Tues.), so I'm guessing that I did a number on my muscles with that workout. In a good way, of course.

Tuesday, May 7: AM Cardio - 35 minutes elliptical, level 12, 14, 12
457 cals burned - pretty fast pace this morning

PM LBWO BFL Sets x12, x10, x8, x6, x12 superset x12
Single Leg Extensions - 20, 30, 50, 60, 50
Sumo Squats - 70 (slow down low and then power spring up)

Single Sitting Curls - 30, 40, 50, 50, 50 (right knee started hurting a little when I upped the weight to 60 - only did one rep, switched the weight back down to 50 and it didn't hurt, so I finished the set)
Straight Leg Deadlifts - 60

Single Leg Calf Raises - 20
Regular Raises - 30, 35, 40, 35
Angled out raises - 35

Abs 2 sets
Bicycle crunches - 60
Leg ups - 15 (still hard on low back, but strength is increasing)
Side crunches - 20 each
Center crunches, knees up - 20 (takes pressure off low back)

Really feeling the hamstrings already. I concentrated on isolating the muscle by pointing my toes towards my body on the positive curl and pointing them away on the negative return. I read about that today and boy did it work! They're still jello-y 2.5 hours later. I hope my L-glut does its job...ouch!

I've also noticed that I have a lot more "crunchy" noises in my joints, particularly my left ankle and right wrist. (The right ankle has always made those terrible noises, but that's from an old injury.) I wonder if that has anything to do with the lifting or with the increase in cardio? I've never noticed it before...
  #48   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 08:15

BF:
Default Wed., May 8

Took the morning off. I've been sleeping poorly for the last couple of days and just couldn't bear the thought of getting up early without getting 8 hours of sleep for one more day. So, I slept in an hour and slept great! Thinking that I'll take the day off from cardio (my legs are really feeling yesterday's workout, especially hams and calves), but I'll do some triceps, biceps and shoulders tonight in my apt.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 10:31

BF:

Well, I just couldn't NOT work out yesterday! When I got home from the Shelter, I decided to try out the BSBW sets I'd been reading about during the day. Wow! Supersetting is bad enough, but multiple compound supersets are killers. My shoulders were not up to the task. I had to reduce the weight for each superset (I was still just doing light weights with my R shoudler). That hasn't happened for a while. Here's what I did:

3 sets of supersets, x12 reps, 90 secs between sets
Triceps Overhead Extensions - 10 lbs
Hammer Curls - 10

Side Raises - 10/5, 7/5, 5/5
Front Raises - 10/5, 7/5, 5/5 (this was really hard!)

Triceps Kickbacks - 10
Biceps Curls - 12

21s - 10

I think I am done with the CKD after I finish this week. 8 weeks of getting up early almost every day has kicked my butt and worn me out, and I think I have given it the college try.

However, I love being in such good shape and would like to continue to improve my conditioning. My new plan involves less cardio, more targeted lifting and spreading out my days off. I'm going to experiment with the BSBW multiple compound supersets and break my lifting into 3 day splits. I really want to concentrate on my arms this time, so here's the plan:

Sun. - AM Cardio, Shoulder, Biceps, Triceps & Abs
Mon. - Legs
Tue. - AM Cardio, Chest, Back and Abs
Wed. OFF
Thurs. - AM Cardio, Shoulder, Biceps, Triceps & Abs
Fri. - Legs
Sat. OFF

I think I'll try this for a few weeks and see what happens. Oh, also important: I'm going to go back to regular LC eating (no carb loading) with increased carbs in the 60-80g/day ballpark.

Last edited by DivaDani : Thu, May-09-02 at 12:46.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 13:28

BF:
Default I'm back!

I did a great LBWO on Sat. afternoon using multiple compound supersets.

3 supersets, x12 reps each exercise
Single Leg Extensions - 40
Single Leg Curls - 40 (I think this allowed too much rest time)

One leg calf raises - 20
Angled out raises - 40

Sumo squats - 60
Straight leg deadlifts - 60

2 sets of 12
Lunges - 60

Did 15 minutes on the treadmill after the leg workout. 2 days later my inner thighs were still feeling this, and even my butt is a little sore. Oh, yeah, Rob said my butt looked "tight" the other day - woohoo!

Took Sunday completely off and started packing up my stuff and scrounging for free boxes. Monday was spent tubing on the river, so I got a tiny bit of exercise from paddling around. Got up early this morning and did 30 minutes on the treadmill at 4 pmh and 3.5 grade. I have concluded that there is no way that machine can count calories acurately and that the mph pace is really misleading. If a tall person is on the treadmill next to me walking 4 mph, I look like I'm going twice as fast because I have to take so many more steps!
  #51   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 11:10

BF:
Default May 14 Evening Workout

I've been itching to lift weights and knew I wouldn't get another chance until Thursday, so I did the multiple compound superset arm workout I did last week...sort of. I couldn't find my workout sheet, so I guessed at the weights I couldn't remember. I ended up really tiring my arms out because I started with 12 lb curls. And my left shoulder was killing me! I had to stop and massage it because I think one of my deltoids went into a little spasm. It felt fine, however, by the time I got to the 21s. I might have to cut the shoulder sets down to 5 pounds each. I'm amazed by how much less I can lift during these supersets. They are killers.

3 sets of supersets, x12 reps, 90 secs between sets
Hammer Curls - 12
Triceps Overhead Extensions - 20 lbs

Side Raises - 7/5, 7/5, 5/5
Front Raises - 7/5, 7/5, 5/5 (this was still really hard!)

Biceps Curls - 12
Triceps Kickbacks - 10

3 sets of 21s - 10

Then we went to an MBA picnic in the park for an hour or so. I brought my own meat
  #52   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 13:24

BF:

OK, took the 15th off for very important apt. cleaning which could not be postponed any longer - my in-laws are arriving this afternoon! So, once my apt. was in respectable condition, I went to the gym this morning. Did 30 minutes on the elliptical but was tired and droopy the whole time. I was at level 12 for most of it, but did the last 5 min. at level 10. Only burned 365 cals - a sorry departure from my super-fast runs of a few weeks ago. I guess stamina departs a lot quicker than it builds...
  #53   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 14:10

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi DivaDani. Nat suggested I look at your journals because I was asking her about starting a CKD...I noticed here that you decided recently to go back to just eating LC without carb-loading...was it not giving you the results you wanted? (I can't tell how much your stats have changed since you started the CKD.) Thanks.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 14:30

BF:

not2fat - There were a lot of reasons that I quit, but mainly it is A LOT of work. It jump started me out of the scale-stall I'd been in for months, but I was not getting results that I thought were equal to the enormous amount of effort I was putting in. Plus, I was just really tired. Don't get me wrong: the CKD works! I just figured out that I am a slow loser and no matter what I try the pounds and inches don't seem to come off any faster. So I'm cutting back on cardio again and concentrating on body sculpting, which I seem to be best at anyway. The carb load makes the Monday and Tuesday workouts really fun...I kind of miss that. But you can't do it without the tons of cardio

I posted my results in my journal under the bootcamp section. I lost about 5 pounds (mostly fat) and a fair amount of inches. Mostly, though, I notice how much more toned my arms and legs are now and that doesn't always show up in measurements and weight. Fern also does the CKD and has had a lot of success with it. She has photos from last year in the Success Stories forum. HTH!

Dani
  #55   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 15:07

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

thanks!
  #56   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 10:36

BF:
Default Friday, May 17

Did a leg workout today with a 15 minute cardio cool down

3 sets x 12
Lunges - 40

Supersets: 3 sets x 12
Leg Extensions - 80
Leg Curls - 80

One leg calf raises - 20
Angled out raises - 40

Sumo squats - 60
Straight leg deadlifts - 60

Treadmill
  #57   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 10:41

BF:
Default Sunday, May 19

Dr. Roy banned me from shoulder specific lifting for a few days, but OK'd me for DB Bench Press. So, I came up with this combined chest, back and arms workout for Sunday. I didn't do cardio today, though, because I didn't have enough time.

Supersets: 3 x 12
DB Bench Press - 2 x 20 lbs
DB Flyes - 2 x 12 lbs
(I meant to pair the BP with rows, but I forgot or something. I don't know what happened there.)

Biceps curls - 2 x 12 lbs
Overhead Triceps - 20

Lat Pull - 50
Pec Deck Flyes - 40

Triceps Kickbacks - 2 x 10 lbs
Hammer curls - 2 x 12

21s - 2 x 10 lbs
  #58   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 08:31

BF:
Default Monday, May 20

Somehow it slipped my mind that Sunday is "supposed" to be a cardio day according to my new schedule, so I added that to my workout today. Feeling my lats and upper pecs today (but NOT my right shoulder) Taking that as a good sign that my chest/back workout was targetting the right spots and worked me pretty hard. (Haven't felt my lats complain for a while, and I did less weight than I normally do for BFL.)

20 min. elliptical, about 260 cals (level 10-12)

3 sets x 12
Lunges - 40 lbs

3 Supersets x 12
Leg Extensions - 80
Leg Curls - 80

one leg calf raises - 20
angle out raises - 40

Sumo squats - 60
Straight leg Deadlifts - 60

These workouts are new, so it still amazes me that the same 80 lbs which feels a little on the light and easy side when I start my first superset is kicking my butt by the last one!
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 16:02

BF:
Default A new gym routine

OK, I've been a bad person and not logged any of my workouts since we moved to CT, but I've really been good!

I've decided to do aq variation of TrainerDan's superset workout for the next 6 weeks along with starting Pilates Mat classes and see what happens then. I tried it out this week (couldn't walk for about 3 days - thanks for the lunges, Dan) and I'm going to FL for a week on Sun., so I'll start for real when I get back on Jan. 27.

The schedule is as follows:
M: lift
T: Pilates
W: off
Th: Pilates, lift
F: cardio (HIIT 20 min.)
Sa: off
Su: HIIT cardio

For lifting, I'm doing this for the first 2 weeks:
All sets 3x8 reps; 30 secs between sets

Lunges - 25 lb. db, 3x8 ea. leg

DB Bench Press - 20-25 lb.
One arm row - 20-25 lb.

DB Military Press - 12 lb.
DB Upright Rows - 12 lb.

Biceps curls - 15 lb.
Pushups

Crunches, leg raises

I don't do crunches on Pilates days (that is plenty of work, trust me) and I'm stretching and strengthening my low back at home after I get back from the gym.

I did the lifting on M and Th this week, but started with 30 lb dbs on the lunges and it killed me. 20 worked out much better, so I think I'll be able to do 25 when I start in a week. The military stuff hasn't bothered my arm at all, so I'm kind of excited about that. Going to see how much weight I can build up to...

Also, going to do a low-fat reversal diet while I'm in FL to see if that helps with my metabolism. I just started taking my BBT and was horrified to see it at 97.1 this morning after 5 minutes. I'll keep it in for 10 min. tomorrow (I just read that in a thread here) and see if it's any better. Otherwise, I'm going to follow Dan's advice and start on a Zone-type diet when I get back and see what happens.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:05

BF:
Default Oooh, I haven't been in this log for a while!

I do Pilates at least three days a week now. Yesterday I had a private lesson in the evening and did a mat class in the morning. My waist is getting oh-so-toned and now all of my clothes would fit if my chest were just a bit smaller. (All the waists are now very loose!)

I have a new lifting routine from another trainer, but it's too long for me to want to do three sets and the leg part is tough. So, I'm doing 2 sets of 12 on everything, doing slow reps and it's making me pretty tired now. The plan is to do it on M, W and Sa since I do Pilates on T, Th and F and then do cardio on Su and one other day, depending on when I feel like doubling up.

Workout:
With big ball - pelvic dips on ball, one-legged squats and inner thigh squeezes
prone leg curls
chest press
high lat pull down
rotary torso
shoulder lat raises on big ball
triceps extension machine (arms independent)
biceps curl machine (both arms together)

It doesn't look like much as I look at it, but really, it is.

This week's workouts:
Su - Pilates mat class
M - 20 minutes cardio, lift
T - 20 minutes cardio, lift (because I was gone on Wed.)
W - lots of walking in NY, but that's all
Th - Pilates mat class AM, private Pilates lesson PM (hard!)
F - Pilates mat class PM
Sa - lift, cardio