Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 12:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

I didnt read all the replies on this one but just wanted to comment. I havent eaten anything after 5:30 for the past week and have gained a lb. Didnt do anything different so it isnt a stall breaker for me, I wish it was.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/BFL
Stats: 246/215/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Have any of you thought that, perhaps, you are burning muscle by not eating after 6 pm?

If you want to burn muscle to lose weight, fine, but in the long term that is not a good practice.

Myself, I go to bed on a full stomach every night so my metabolism does not slow down and muscle mass is preserved.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 17:21
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWC
Have any of you thought that, perhaps, you are burning muscle by not eating after 6 pm?

If you want to burn muscle to lose weight, fine, but in the long term that is not a good practice.

Myself, I go to bed on a full stomach every night so my metabolism does not slow down and muscle mass is preserved.

Can you show me a reliable documentation that people who don't eat past six or so ARE burning muscle? My bodyfat percentage inches slowly downward along with my weight, and given that I eat more than adequate amounts of protien, I'm not to worried that I'm losing muscle. I'm always open to new info, though so if you have some reading material about it, I'm game.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 17:35

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

kingb,
why something different than your experience must be RIDICULOUS?
The orginal poster simply said : he tried, and it seemed to help HIM with HIS STALL. He did not claim any scientific background behind it, and did not say this is a cure for all. Simply wanted to share HIS experience.

There are many different stall breaker experiences. Some work for some, others works for others. So if a stall breaker does not work for ALL it is ridiculous?

Last edited by Galadriell : Fri, Jan-16-04 at 17:41.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 17:42
Fully Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingb123
Seriously, this is ridiculous. It DOES NOT WORK! It may cause you to eat less, but that's it. Every night I eat dinner at 10:30 and go to bed at 11, and I've lost 40 pounds!

Good for you! Where should I send your medal?
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 17:48
Registered Member

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 200/200/115 Female 5'4
BF:29%/28%/20%
Progress: 0%

I am trying it. I haven't weighed myself yet (I like to wait until I'm pretty darn sure I lost something, so I don't get disappointed), but I am feeling like its working.

I'll let you know.

(One has to get up early in this house to weigh yourself naked -- scale is in the family room.)
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 18:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

Here's an article by Jonny Bowden, MA, CNA. He's the Weight Loss Coach at iVillage.com; author of Jonny Bowden's Shape Up! and a soon-to-be published Living the Low Carb Life.
Quote:
Timing of Meals for Weight Loss

Question: I've heard that if you want to lose weight you should refrain from eating after 8pm. I've also heard that it doesn't matter when you eat, as long as the total number of calories does not exceed your daily requirement. Which is correct?

The health professionals who told you it doesn't matter when you eat believe that all that counts in weight management is calories. These folks believe that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie -- that it doesn't much matter where that calorie comes from or when it's eaten as long as the total amount taken in is less than the amount you're burning up.

In my opinion, that view is extremely dated. It misses a big part of the picture and doesn't stand up to clinical experience.

For one thing, the "calories are all" theory completely ignores the fact that what you eat -- the composition of your meals -- has a profound effect on hormones that your body releases, namely insulin and glucagon. The balance between these hormones is crucial to weight-loss success. High-carbohydrate meals stimulate more insulin than balanced, or low-carbohydrate, meals. Timing also seems to make a difference. In one study, for example, all participants ate the exact same 2,000-calorie meal once a day. One group ate in the morning and the other at night. The group who ate at night gained weight, while the morning group did not. If calories were the only thing that counted, it shouldn't have mattered when they ate them.

A large meal before you go to bed -- especially one high in carbs -- stimulates insulin, which in turn stimulates fat storage and definitely prevents "fat burning." A tried and true strategy in weight management is to cease eating as early in the evening as is both possible and practical -- a strategy that works quite well for most people. If you just can't go to bed on an empty stomach, stick with a small snack that has protein and some fat but is low in carbs; eat just enough so that you're not too hungry to sleep.

Better yet, try not eating after 7 or 8 and see what happens.

http://www.ivillage.com/diet/expert...5_29912,00.html

#53   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/216.7/190 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 24%

I am going to stop eating after 8pm but its quite tough considering I stay up past 11 nightly
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 18:46
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Thanks for sharing the article Doreen. I'll try it from tomorrow.

red
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 18:53
Fully Caffeinated

Thanks Doreen.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 18:59

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

This sounds like a good idea for me. I was losing well and then stalled completely. I haven't lost anything since my daughter's wrestling practice started. She doesn't get home until after 7:00, so we have been eating about 8:00. I guess I will try eating earlier for a while and see if it makes a difference.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 19:21
Living Healthy

Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

I'm for giving it a month to see. I don't know about a pound a day--but if it speeds things up at all I'd say it's worth it.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 19:26
Fully Caffeinated

I wouldn't expect a pound a day either. All I know is I lose a bit faster when I close the kitchen after 7 or 8. I've actually gone to the extreme of taking the lightbulb out in the kitchen.. After the "browsing" habit disappeared, I put it back......
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 20:28
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I've done this for 7 months. I really do think it has helped me lose faster. I don't eat anything after 6 pm. I only have water.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 22:09
Restarting - 9/1

Plan: 1/3/05 restart
Stats: 223/209/140 Female 68"
BF:Don't ask
Progress: 17%

Remember the actor who played Carol the Reciptionist on the Bob Newhart Show? I think her name is Marcia Wallace.

Anyway, I remember reading years ago that before she got her part on Newhart, she was about 80 lbs overweight. Her solution, and I remember Carol as being very skinny, was to move to Hawaii for several months where she dieted by not eating after 6pm. Kind of a self imposed fat farm in paradise. She lost all the weight and went to Hollywood and auditioned for the part of Carol.

It had to be at least 25 years ago that I heard or read this, but I was reminded by this thread.