Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

I counted everything out at the time, but do not recall exactly how much pasta I used (it has been several months since I made it).

Probably 1/2 a pack for a 9 inch pie pan....
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 05:00
Always Shining

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

Thanks, I'll give this a try!
  #48   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 07:15

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Every post I've ever read here about DreamFields have said it tastes exactly like real pasta. If you read their website it IS real pasta, but somehow has been reconfigured to go into the blood stream a little slower (or something to that effect).

I still can't eat it because it's wheat. Wheat will not digest with me.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 16:44
Registered Member

Stats: 209/183/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I ordered some Dreamfield online from a Canadian company (very, very nice by the way) and it was great. I didnt like my sauce, but the pasta was good.

Although it didnt knock me out of ketosis, I went from med dark purple to 'trace' on keto sticks. AND it was the first week I didn't lose any weight at all and all I changed was eating the pasta (1/2C) for 3 days. But I also got a bad cold, didnt exercise as usual for most of the week, so that may make a difference as well.

I wonder though what their process is that allows them to 'change' the carb count so significantly. (I wonder that about Atkins products as well).
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 21:03
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

The dreamfields site explains why its only 5 carbs. Something about them having a special fiber coating that protects the carbs and essentially makes those carbs act like fiber.

The reason some may have some gastric distress with it is the same reason some have gastric issues with too much fiber. I know I did for a while with too much fiber but then my body adjusted to the high fiber count.

My blood glucose doesnt spike at all from it and I am pretty insulin resistant with PCOS but not diabetic. I have tested it against regular pasta and that shoots my blood sugar sky high.

That said, I try to limit my consumption to less than once a month simply because I try not to eat too many processed foods and it does make me want pasta.

I looooove spaghetti squash. I remember as a kid my mother made it once and it was vile and so I always had something against it but one day I was at a restaurant and got halibut with spaghetti squash and it was unreal! After that I was totally hooked. I love it with lemon butter sauces. The problem with spaghetti squash is that it is a little carby and I can easily eat half a squash by myself! So I need to limit my consumption of that as well.

As others have pointed out, spaghetti squash isnt a substitute for pasta but it is a delicious veggie, at least to me (a veggie lover) and just adds variety to this WOE for me.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-08, 10:09

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

Well I did try the pasta and it taste every bit as good as regular, but then, from comparing the ingredients on the box to Barrila, it is in fact no different, except the price. It cost me $7.50 including the shipping for a box of Penne. The same size box of Berilla cost $3.50

Jim
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 07:29

Stats: 341/284.0/210 Male 72
BF:Unknown/32.5/17
Progress: 44%

I have to say that I have loved using this product in the past with no issues. Great taste and texture. Even my wife who isn't LC'ing loves it