Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#466   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-09, 11:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

Brave to show yourself in public? C'mon. Someone who makes an implication like that needs to get a life. That would be like saying that someone who has red hair or asthma or is left-handed or stutters should lock themselves away. Don't bother troubling yourself over some other person's ignorance!!!
Sponsored Links
  #467   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 09:58

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

maybe I just have thick skin (or people were afraid of me) in school, but no one really ever called me anything to my face. I was always top of my class in academics therefore always had that to defend me. Once at the beach though, in eighth grade, I was called shamu (like the whale), but it didn't bother me because the guy who called me that had been held back in school that year, so I responded "so what, I'm smart. You're stupid and FAILING!!!! I can lose weight. You will always be stOOOOOOOpid." They always chose the wrong person when picking me to battle words with.

Everyone laughed at beach boy, not me. He has six kids and is a welfare-lifer now. It tickles me.

Once when I was eight months pregnant with DD and at about 320 lbs, I was going to my local drug store and a man was staring at me rudely. So I said, "Can I help you?" he says, "How do you walk like that?"

Well, I responded, "It's not easy since i'm ready to deliver by BABY in four weeks, jackass and btw, how do you look in a mirror with a face like yours?"

Of course, I got a 'fat bi&ch' for that one, but I just smiled and told him "have a nice day, since you're such a NICE person!"

These things tend not bother me as most times these people who make rude comments mean nothing to me, therefore their opinion means nothing to me. When I tell them that they/their opinion basically are a zero and mean nothing to me, the look on faces is priceless. Everyone wants to think THEY'RE important and everyone wants to hear their opinion and it totally deflates them when you tell them otherwise LOL

Thank god my family has always been accepting and non-judgemental...some of what I've read here in families is scary and disheartening.
  #468   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 11:54

Plan: 75%Fat. 20%Prot. 5%Carbs
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 3%
Cool

Wow, msmum1977, wish I'd had your power.

When someone bothers me I loose all my words. When I get home I could write a whole list with things I should have told them.

Some people don't even worth to make me angry. The most hurtful is when you are insulted by a person which is even worse than you. It happened to me. I was in the store and there was a drunk fat client. And he was pointing and laughing at me! I felt horrible. I was horrible!

I have a teacher at faculty. He always has a strong alcohol smell and makes vulgar jokes especially when he sees tall or fat girls. Since now he didn't make any joke about me - I think he saw that I hate him because I'm the only one who don't answer to his stupid jokes and who don't laugh at them.

Last edited by great_dane : Thu, Dec-03-09 at 12:02.
  #469   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 12:00

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

yeah, thanks....well, I'm a marshmallow where people I care about are concerned. A wrong look from my dh can send me into fits about what he thinks of me. Strangers...they don't matter.
  #470   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 12:06

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

wow.. this post stirred up a lot of repressed memories .

The most hurtful thing I was called... by my own younger brother non the less, was "O-ger" ( sp?)... I was about 15 yrs old. It was not in reference to Shrek (he did not exist way back then)... it was a comparason to a character in an 80's movie... I think it was Revenge of the Nerds. He'd call me that all the time, out in public etc... I was called names by people in school etc... but my pesky 13 yr old brother calling me O-ger was the worst... i hated him for it. It was only a phase, a small period of time that he did that but over all... it's the worst as far as how it made me feel back then. Thinking about it now makes me a little sad for the 15 yr old girl!
  #471   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 05:25

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Actually, one time I reacted fast when some idiot kid called me names. It didn't have anything to do with weight, but he called me, well, the shorter, more offensive word for a prostitute. The kid was eleven, and I was twelve at the time. It was just a trend right then and still, these days **tch is also in some use.

I hit him. NEver even had a single thought in my head, it was just, "Yeah, right you w***e"-*POW*. I swear, it was a spinal reflex! I'm not a violent person, before or after, but he NEVER called me any names again. Most times someone calls me names I just die a little inside, but this one time I had the satisfaction of seeing the little slimeball fall on his ass.

Not that I'm advocating violence, I'm not, just telling a story.
  #472   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 08:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 237/215/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 25%

the black Homer Simpson and they would go "DOH". When i was in high school.
  #473   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 03:13

Stats: 256/199/190 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

My ex once commented that he was surprised I didn't eat the dog while I was at it!
  #474   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 13:22

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

Notice that he's the ex? Good choice.
  #475   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 00:23

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I am going to visit my Mom in Az in Feb, I am getting nervous about my weight again..... I am trying to lose,,, I just hope for 10 lbs,,, I am hoping....
I have been sick with a inflamed Pancreas, and she asked the other night, have you lost any weight, omg..... even being sick, she is hoping I will lose....
I even think sometimes my Dad is watching me when I eat....he used to come visit or I visit them, he would hug me and say, you have gained some weight, or you have lost some weight..... I would have this sinking feeling in my gut...
I remember when I lost all the weight, 118 and they were ALL saying oh you look so beautiful, and taking pictures of me for the three days. My Mom takes pic's now and she gives me the pictures. Its like a slap in the face because she knows I look fat, and I think she hopes I will do something about it....
Like I haven't tried......that 118 was 10 yrs.
I feel so bad about myself, My X husband used to make horrible remarks to me. Called my boobs FAT, he hated looking at women with big breasts. He thought there just made of of Fat! His wife now looks like a 12 yr old girl. She has got him where he looks like he is 80 yrs old... Pay Back hahaha
Well I think mean people S***.... and it all comes full circle someday.....
  #476   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 15:23
Registered Member

Stats: 180/155/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 45%

I wasn't very resilient as a kid, and the teasing really stuck for years (here I am fifteen years later and I still give the old evil eye to anyone I used to go to school with when I cross paths with them).

I think the incident that sticks out in my mind most was during a grade six or seven field trip. We were playing "Red Rover" (where kids line up on either side of a field, link arms, and try and stop someone from the other team from breaking through to the other side).

It was my turn to run, and as I got close, all the kids on the other team fell on their sides and yelled "Earthquake!!" (got to love it when kids get together to make devious plans).

I just stood there, 30 kids laughing and rolling around on the ground and started crying. The worst part was that my teacher made each kid apologize to me individually, thus drawing out the embarrassment.

Even as an adult, I remember that as one of the hardest and saddest days of my life.
  #477   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-10, 15:04

Plan: Low-carb/High-Fat
Stats: 345/335/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB
Anyway, my sophmore year of HS I started working out 2 hours per day and eating 800 calories per day. I got thin, and it was amazing how people started treating me differently.

May I ask how people "changed" toward you? What was different?
  #478   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-10, 15:45

Plan: Low-carb/High-Fat
Stats: 345/335/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default big guy

I get called "big guy" periodically; however, what I listen for is the spirit behind them, as it's the intention that matters.

When someone says "big guy" and it's with a friendly tone, I'm fine with it; in fact, it's mildly endearing. Sometimes, people have used that as a description, which is okay too, as I might say "the black guy" if I am referring to an African-American. I mean nothing racist or derogatory, but it's just a quick-n-easy reference point.

I think that is one thing I've learned by being obese all these years... which is to listen to people's intention. Obviously, if someone called me "lard ass", the intention is pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDweller
My DH, who also has a weight issue, gets called "big guy" a lot, by people he knows and people he doesn't know. He doesn't say anything at the time, but at home -- "they wouldn't call other people short guy, bald guy, hairy guy or something like that. But 'big guy' is ok."
  #479   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 02:19

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Told that I was chubby when I was a child by my father. I didn't think that I was at that time.

A woman telling me that I had gained so much weight in front of 2 men....................did I mention that she, her-self was so unattractive and load mouthed ? !!!
  #480   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 04:12

Plan: 75%Fat. 20%Prot. 5%Carbs
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

Once upon a time, at the beginning of my adolescence, I was so in love with a guy. I don’t even know the reasons I loved him. I think he talked to me twice and I loved his voice the way he said my name. LOL. Stupid kid.

Anyway, one day I went with him and a lot of friends and other people I didn’t know at that time with their cars at a picnic. This guy, X , was the driver of one of the cars and, „lucky” me, I stayed in his car. Before going in, he came to me and asked me to stay in front, beside him. I was so excited and happy! His voice was echoing in my mind all the way back to home.

Do you guess why he asked me such a „beautiful” thing? Because there were another 3 persons who had to squeeze in the back of the car and I was too fat for that. The bad part is at that moment I was too stupid and in love to see his reason. Now I see it and I am ashamed of myself.

A good lesson for the rest of my life. Don't fall in love so easily

Last edited by great_dane : Sun, Jan-10-10 at 04:32.