Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 00:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

I DID IT!!!! I went to Ladies Only all by myself and did a full workout!!! It was really hard that first time,,,,but I decided I wasnt going to pay for something I wasnt using..and my first payment was today...so I MADE myself go. I was so glad I did...my little trainer,,her name was jennifer,,,,took me around and showed me how to work all the machines,,what weights to use for what,,and what exercises. I was pooped when I got done,,,but it felt so good!! Anyway..I am proud of myself for conquering that fear!! I cant wait to go again,,,,and to see what a difference this makes in the coming weeks.

I have been drinking a lot more water,,,,that is a plus. My skin is so dry,,,its gotta help! I gotta look up my supplements and see what is good for what....if I know why I am taking them,,I may be better about doing it!

Well,,,,,hadda report in. Where is everyone??

CYA lighter!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 08:30
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I'm here!

So glad you enjoyed your workout. I too have gotten back into a routine with weight training. I was doing BFL for a while but was lifting too heavy and started having problems with rotator cuff and left knee.

I use less weight, more reps for tone, it is much easier on the 'ole body.

Keep up the good work!

HN
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 00:25

Well,,its been three weeks,,,and no postings, Iguess all the seniors have gone elsewhere!!!
As for me,,, I am still on the bandwagon, although I was off line for awhile due to moving and having my computer rebuilt, ...
I have found that this has become second nature to me now,,,I automatically reach for the low carb treat as opposed to the other. I have been on this since June,,,almost a year. I dont know how much I have lost, cause I stopped weighing and just use my clothes as measurement. I have lost a lot of inches. GOing shopping for a new Easter outfit this week,,,can hardly wait to see what size! I know I am aan 18 at the top,,,,thats down from a 26 so I sure wont complain!!!
We have been eatoing out so much,,,that I have not lost a lot recently,,,but have determined to start cooking more now that things have settled down for us. Gonna get on here and look up some recipes,
Well,,,hope some of you folks come back around,,,,it gets lonely here all by myself!!!
CYA lighter!!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 01:59

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

We're still ere. Congratulations on your weight loss. I've been on it nearly 2 years now.

Good luck with the new cooking spree.

robert
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 23:38

Hi there...good to hear from someone!!
You say you have been on it for two years ,,,,,,,,,,,have you seen a pattern in your losing?? Did it slow way down? I was thinking tonight that I will have been on it for a year on June 20th,,and will have about fifty pounds off,,,,,,I guess I should rejoice in that , eh??

Do ya have any tips you can share?? What has been your greatest help to stay focused?? I have to stay vigilant or I waver,,,,

Doyou eat a lot of diferent recipes?? I am just now starting to experiment.
Let us know how you do it!!!

Cya lighter
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 15:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/239/145 Female 5,4
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hello!
I did write once before and I am wondering where everyone is? I am in a stall again nothing lost. It finally got warm where I am and now it is shorts weather again. I said last year that this year I will not cover up my fat arms with jackets or other blouses I will wear a sleeveless blouse I am still fat but I will not suffer. Music mama I love your signature because that is how I feel. With prayer and Gods help I can make it through to the land of thin people.I took a walk today and now my feet and back hurt but I am trying. I have problems with both. I guess every little bit helps.
I love cooking and trying out different foods and it shows The best help has been cauliflower and turnips, they take a good place of potatoes. I also make Nana balls that helps my sweet tooth. Muffins are great also . ok here I go with food again
Well wish I would have a buddy here. Do I?
Everyone have a Blessed Easter.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 21:59

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Hello ,

I am an eternal 59 lady.

This is the first time in my life that I have done LC. Spent much money and time at WW on lowfat/fatfree/sugarfree/highcarb to no avail. 2 years of losing and gaining. My dr. has approved of my doing Atkins. I have lost 12.5 lbs. in the first week of induction. Am in my second week and it is slowing down, but, hey, I never in my life lost that much. I am sure this is the way I will eat for the rest of my life.

Glad to hear from so many of you, keep posting.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 09:16

Stats: 260/239/145 Female 5,4
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hello Cloe. This thread looks like it is dying. Too bad not more Seniors are posting I am sure there is more who have found this site. It would be interesting to read about the struggles we as older people have of losing. I have been on this for over a year and first I lost really good then started the stalls. Even gained some back last fall, that is when everyone has a birthday in my family and parties every week with good food and cakes and Thanksgiving and then Christmas right after. Fall is full of temptations for me. I should take a long trip at that time maybe somewhere south where I could be warm. Oh well I'll be back in a couple of days to see if there is anyone writing here. Hugs to all. Lynn
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 23:57

Hey!!!! What a surprise,,,,,I finally found some time to get on ,,,and there you all were!!!
I have been so busy moving,,working and directing the Easter Drama at church, that I havent had time to post! The last couple of times I checked tho,,no one else was posting either, glad to see some interest.
I have been LC'ing since June,,and had lost 40 poundswhen I stopped weighing a couple of minths ago. I decided that the number on the scale doesnt really matter, as long as I am seeing the inches come off.
Ihad a funny experience tonight,,,it was the second night of our drama presentation, and we had a large crowd. A man I have lnown for years and had not seen for awhile,,told me my neck looked little!!!! I have never had that kind of complement before!! Oh well,,I will take anything! There were several that commented on my weight loss,,so it is still working.
I have been so busy that I havent had time to really cook, or even eat a meal lately,,,,but come Monday I am going back on induction for two weeks,,,,just to kickstart things.
Dont get discouraged if your weight loss slows down,,,you will do that at our age,,,but keep going,,it will work!!! Trust me!! I have never done a weight loss plan as successful as this one,,,because you are not hungry,,you have energy..and you can EAT!!! I love it...and am determined to keep it up for good.
Like you,,I spent money at Weight Watchers,,,Physicians Weight Loss,,Herbalife..Dexatrim,,,Phen Phen.....Metabolife ( I still take that once in awhile to speed up my metabolism)..but nothing worked long term for me. Weight Watchers had too many choices,,and too many cravings cause I ate the sugar . So,,,I am satisfied with this WOE....it works!!
Well, bedtime here,,,,keep posting!!
CYA lighter
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 01:55

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Guys,

I'll be 56 in November.....Hard for me to relate to the term "Seniors" too... But, I'm definately a "Baby Boomer", a "60's Child".....Seems like just yesterday I was just out of high school and 115 lbs......Boy, time flies! I first encountered Dr. A in 1973....after I gained 50 lbs with my first son.....lost 60!...Everyone thought I was going to kill myself with this "Diet Fad".......Wish I would have stayed with the WOE from that time on! Didn't have too much problem with weight 'til I hit my 30's and had to go on BP medication......then all "hell" broke loose....gain, gain, gain!..........I too tried all the low-cal, low-fat diets.......they had me convinced too! God bless Dr. A! He knew all along. So, I have returned to what helped me before..... But now...It's so SLOW!.........So frustrating. Age, medication...etc.! Never thought I'd be where I am now (overweight)! But, here I am! This is my 2nd time around in the last year and a half....Stupidly gave up after 5 months of LCing... Lost 15 lbs (off for 4 months)...gained back 20! Back on WOE starting 2/24/2003...have Lost 10...and that's it...stall???? SLOW!...But, I'm trying...And I'll keep trying! Oh, for the days that I could drop 40 lbs in 2 to 3 months! Guess I murdered my "Golden Opportunity"...........Well Good luck everyone! KC

Last edited by Kayceecan : Sat, Apr-19-03 at 02:01.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 05:15
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 180/152/155 Female 506
BF:
Progress: 107%

Hi Everyone,

Don't know how I missed this thread, I read the boards everyday, many times during the day

My name is Sheryl and I'm 57, live just outside Chicago, and the proud grandma of 2.5 boys, of which I am helping raise one of them. I don't know if the 7yr old is keeping me young or making me old

Started LCing in July of 02, and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself, lost 42 so far with some slow downs along the way but I have stayed with the plan and find this is something I can live with.

Have a nice Easter everyone, going to DD's house woohoo!

Sheryl
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 23:18

Hi!! Great to see some newcomers to this thread!!! Hope you all had a great Easter.
Well,,,I went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner today,,a friend invited us,,so since it was a holiday I decided to make it my last big cheat for a long time. I havent really been cheating at all,,,but havent been as diligent about writing things down either. So, tomorrow it is back to induction for me for at least a week ,,,,,I wanna jump start this weight loss again. I have been between a 22 and a 20 at the bottom since Christmas,,,,time for a change.
I know what you mean about the weight loss being slow...when I think that it will soon be a year and I have only lost what I have,,it gets frustrating. Then I think about where I was a year ago,,and I realize that I am really making progress.
I havent been drinkiing water,,,I know that is important but I am so bad about that. I do for awhile, then go right back to diet pepsi!
Yes, I remember what it was like the first time I did this WOE too,,,I dropped weight so fast,,22 pounds inthe first month!! Now I struggle to lose 2!!! But I am committed to stick with it,,,,I am gonna reach goal,,someday!! I never will if I quit!
I have had people at work that tell me that my diet isnt healthy,,,I tell them no,,,,obesity isnt healthy!! I just figure they ahvent researched the diet, and are going on what they ahve heard.....consider the source and go on.
Well,,time for bed,,,gota check in on another thread or two,...keep posting!!!
CYA lighter
  #43   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 180/152/155 Female 506
BF:
Progress: 107%

Good morning,

How's it going for everyone? I just figured out my stats and I'm only losing about 1lb a month now bummer, but at least it's in the right direction

DH & I just put in our veg garden yesterday, trying some eggplant for 1st time, tomatoes, cucs and peppers, we just have a small space in our postage stamp size yard. For his birthday I got him a Mr. Squeezo so we can make tomato sauce to freeze or can, never tried any canning.

Well got to plant my flowers, spring has sprung hooray

Sheryl
  #44   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 08:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/179/150
BF:45.1/43.3/??
Progress: 51%

Good Morning Everybody,
I just turned 65 and have been on Atkins since January 02. Right now getting a little discouraged and wondering if I should try something else. I had lost about 30 lbs in the first 6 months and then just stopped losing.
I joined Curves last September and have lost about 10 inches total, but no pounds. I go to Curves at least 3 times a week and feel much stronger, just not losing. I lose inches in one spot and gain inches in another. very confusing.

Maybe we can get this thread moving again and get ideas from some succesfull seniors. I do have a thyroid problem, but it seems to be taken care of by synthroid.

The other meds I am on are zestral and sometime celebrex for joint pain.

With the nice weather finally coming to Wisconsin, I am walking more. I still work full time also.

I would appreciate any advise from others. I really stick to my diet and eat about 75% fat and 20-30 carbs a day. I even dropped down to induction again, but no help there at all.

HELP

BevB
  #45   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 18:54

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi Bev:

I too just turned 65 in March of this year. I too am on Prempro, take blood pressure medicine and celebrex. I also have lost about 28 pounds since January and lost a lot of inches. I also exercise on my treadmill 5X a week for 30 minutes per day. I am losing slowly but I am still losing. I try and keep my carbs to 20 or under. I took the liberty to look at your fitday when you posted back in February and you were taking in 40 or more carbs. I see you are not recording your food anymore at fitday. IMHO you need to count your carbs and use Fitday or you will not know how many carbs you are taking in and I do believe it does matter. Everyone has a CCL (critical carb level) and if you are not losing you must be surpassing your CCL. I do hope this info helps you.

Rose