Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Yay or Nay to diet soda?
Yay 27 45.76%
Nay 14 23.73%
Just a wee bit is OK 13 22.03%
I never drank diet soda anyway, so I don't have to think about giving it up. 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: Strict Induction
Stats: 200/195/180 Male 6 ft 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
Okay, what the heck is a Mexican Coke?

Comes in a glass bottle, it uses real sugar instead.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 12:06

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I was never a big soda pop drinker anyway, but years ago I was introduced to Perrier water and after that soda pop felt slimey to me so I don't drink it.

I do have some soda water in the fridge and want to try making my own root beer with root beer extract. That with LC ice cream would make a great summer treat.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 12:06

Oops, sorry for the double posting!!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 12:39
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
Well, whether it does or not stop weight loss I'll never know as long as I keep drinking nightly wine

I'm more concerned about the stimulants in the energy drinks I'm addicted to. Would kill for something with the biet and flavor of Monster without the stims. If this can be done with Sodastream please say so, that'd be a lifesaver!

I am kind of new to Sodastream. Our BJ's Wholesale Club had them at half the price of retail ($50 instead of $100) and it came with sample packs of 27 different sodas and flavors. About 1/2 of them were diet, including the strawberry Crystal Light energy drink. Some were better than others. I couldn't even choke down their diet root beer - it was nasty. Of the samples, we really liked 2 or 3 of them and bought the regular size mix (which makes several liters). Sodastream has dozens of flavors - diet, regular, energy drinks, and simple favors. 3rd party companies are releasing mixes specifically for the Sodastream. I even heard that Coca Cola has decided to release some Sodasteam mixes - but it has not happened yet.

All of the flavors have different ingredient lists (obviously). There are some that are supposed to be like Monster or Red Bull, but I don't know what they contain. I've used Amazon.com to see what is available and get the nutrition facts. Some have more carbs than others. You should be able to get an ingredient list for each and see what simulants are in them. Plus, you can read reviews from others to find out if the flavor is popular or not. I was going to try a diet Cream Soda - but it had terrible reviews.

One thing that is cool about the machine is that you can carbonate your water to what suites you best. I like diet soda very fizzy. I like flavored water lightly fizzy. It takes only a minute or two to carbonate the water, either way.

When the CO2 tank runs out, there are many local outlets that do exchanges for around $15. In the end, soda costs about the same as from a grocery store. But going to this from regular soda has cut the volume we put in our recycle bins by about half. The kids think it is fun and we don't drink any more soda that we used to. Maybe even a little less since we are only making one liter at a time.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 14:27

Plan: my own
Stats: 326/274/175 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I've never been a huge soda drinker, but I did love cokes. Years ago when I lived in France I fell in love with Perrier water, which has the best "fizz" of all the waters. So I started drinking that most of the time, alternating with plain water. It's an expensive habit if you drink a lot of water as I do, so I recently bought that Soda Stream machine to fizz my own water....at an average cost of 24 cents a liter rather than $2 for the Perrier. It's great! I'm glad I never had a diet soda habit....hate the taste of the stuff so I never drank it and therefore can't comment on its potential to sabotage my own diets.

Now (when I'm not trying to lose) I might have a very VERY occasional Mexican coke, but that's it.

Hmm, I never thought of that.... my daughter begged for one of those... she used it twice..... I may have to bring it out of storage and figure out how to use it to make fizzzy water.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 14:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have one too. I like my fuzzy water.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 15:20
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa deuce
Hmm, I never thought of that.... my daughter begged for one of those... she used it twice..... I may have to bring it out of storage and figure out how to use it to make fizzzy water.

Search Youtube for demos. There are many that will show you how to use it and many more showing you how not to use it. I would not recommend it to make fizzy milk, fizzy coffee, or fizzy wine. Others have tried and made a mess. It does fizz water good, though.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Search Youtube for demos. There are many that will show you how to use it and many more showing you how not to use it. I would not recommend it to make fizzy milk, fizzy coffee, or fizzy wine. Others have tried and made a mess. It does fizz water good, though.
I have been reading the reviews on the soda makers and the PureFizz by Mastrad has the best reviews. You can fizz just about anything in it.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 18:28

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I had actually cut out all carbonated drinks before I started LC'ing - had a serious Mt. Dew/caffeine addiction which contributed seriously to my migraines. Only caffeine I was drinking was in tea/green tea. When I started LC, I went to straight water, but I've slowly let the diet drinks creep back in. I may have only 2-3 a week though.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 18:47
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

I love fountain diet coke, but only get one maybe every 1 1/2 months.
I have a diet rootbeer for a sweet treat, maybe twice a week.
Now if I could get a diet coke icee, I be getting one every day!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 19:29

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva

All of the flavors have different ingredient lists (obviously). There are some that are supposed to be like Monster or Red Bull, but I don't know what they contain. I've used Amazon.com to see what is available and get the nutrition facts. Some have more carbs than others. You should be able to get an ingredient list for each and see what simulants are in them. Plus, you can read reviews from others to find out if the flavor is popular or not. I was going to try a diet Cream Soda - but it had terrible reviews.

One thing that is cool about the machine is that you can carbonate your water to what suites you best. I like diet soda very fizzy. I like flavored water lightly fizzy. It takes only a minute or two to carbonate the water, either way.

I was hoping for an answer like this. Anything that might even approximate the flavor of Monster or RB could help me, if not wean myself off, prevent migraines and other potential problems. The third party thing is interesting. I'll willingly trade a couple of carbs/serving or artificial sweetening to leave behind the caffeine/ginseng/taurine combo. Oh, man, I'm weak, I know.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 20:36

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/147.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 67%

I never use any of the flavors for the Soda Stream....aside from the sugar and carbs, they are expensive. I bought the ONE machine that takes both a regular size CO2 cartridge and a large cartridge....the larger cartridge is way more cost effective and that's how I got the 24 cents per bottle figure. (Almost all the other machines they make just take the smaller cartridge). My large cartridge lasts around 3 months and I fizz at least 2 liters a day. The refill on the large cartridge is $29, but I added up what I was spending on Perrier and it was a no brainer to buy this thing, so much cheaper. Just plain fizzy water for me, though...I love it!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 20:45

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I can't drink aspertame sweetened stuff without suffering a monster migraine after. So it's a few Diet Cokes with Splenda a week for me. Mostly on the weekends really. Wish I could get Pepsi One in the South. Grr.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 05:28
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I my dt soda and it doesn't seem to affected my weight loss or maintenance. I will NOT admit to how much I drink of it a day... but it's a lot (figure when I die, they won't have to embalm me since I have so many chemicals in me already!)

Thanks for creating this really awesome thread!!
  #45   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 11:52

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/147.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 67%

I think this thread just shows how things affect people differently! I don't really know how diet sodas would affect me...I can't stand the taste, always that underlying weird flavor. I'd rather drink the "real" thing or nothing!