Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 09:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I read somewhere that many of us walk around in a dehydrated state especially people like me who live in a climate that is warm to scorching hot 11 months out of the year.
I've also read that we store toxins in our fat so I do think it is really important especially in the first few weeks of induction when doing Atkins to make an effort to drink more water than usual to help the kidneys flush out these toxins.
Your kidneys will thank you and if anyone is taking medicine, more water is a good idea.
Many people don't realize but over the counter meds like Aleve, when it was only available by prescription had a long write-up that came with the prescription on the side effects, one of which stressed the importance of drinking more water because this med. taxes the kidneys (in so many words).
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 09:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I read somewhere that many of us walk around in a dehydrated state especially people like me who live in a climate that is warm to scorching hot 11 months out of the year.
I've also read that we store toxins in our fat so I do think it is really important especially in the first few weeks of induction when doing Atkins to make an effort to drink more water than usual to help the kidneys flush out these toxins.

Can you find actual scientific studies to back these things up? What? No?!?

https://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/new...002_water.shtml

Quote:
He observes that we see the exhortation everywhere: from health writers, nutritionists, even physicians. Valtin doubts its validity. Indeed, he finds it, "difficult to believe that evolution left us with a chronic water deficit that needs to be compensated by forcing a high fluid intake."

Quote:
Despite the dearth of compelling evidence, then, What's the harm? "The fact is that, potentially, there is harm even in water," explains Valtin. Even modest increases in fluid intake can result in "water intoxication" if one's kidneys are unable to excrete enough water (urine). Such instances are not unheard of, and they have led to mental confusion and even death in athletes, in teenagers after ingesting the recreational drug Ecstasy, and in ordinary patients.

And he lists other disadvantages of a high water intake: (a) possible exposure to pollutants, especially if sustained over many years; (b) frequent urination, which can be both inconvenient and embarrassing; (c) expense, for those who satisfy the 8 x 8 requirements with bottled water; and (d) feelings of guilt for not achieving 8 x 8.

Other claims discredited by scientific evidence that Valtin discusses include:

Thirst Is Too Late. It is often stated that by the time people are thirsty, they are already dehydrated. On the contrary, thirst begins when the concentration of blood (an accurate indicator of our state of hydration) has risen by less than two percent, whereas most experts would define dehydration as beginning when that concentration has risen by at least five percent.
Dark Urine Means Dehydration. At normal urinary volume and color, the concentration of the blood is within the normal range and nowhere near the values that are seen in meaningful dehydration. Therefore, the warning that dark urine reflects dehydration is alarmist and false in most instances.

When I hear, or read, this sort of folksy wisdom that "everyone knows is right"... my skepticism bubbles to the surface.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Dec-24-14 at 09:33.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 09:29

Plan: Atkins (DNDR) & Exercise
Stats: 235/198/170 Male 69
BF:39%/28%/15%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Funny how we trust our bodies to tell us when we need to sleep.
And it really does tell us!

Quote:
but we've grown entirely distrustful of our sense of when we should drink.
???

Swirl in the mix of chemical additives to modern food and drink, and yes we're having to second guess what our bodies are telling us..... Is it a chemical induced craving or real?
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 09:37
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNpasta
Swirl in the mix of chemical additives to modern food and drink, and yes we're having to second guess what our bodies are telling us..... Is it a chemical induced craving or real?

Quote:
Thirst Is Too Late. It is often stated that by the time people are thirsty, they are already dehydrated. On the contrary, thirst begins when the concentration of blood (an accurate indicator of our state of hydration) has risen by less than two percent, whereas most experts would define dehydration as beginning when that concentration has risen by at least five percent.

Which chemicals are those and, if they're so insidious as to shut off your sense of thirst, why are you eating them?
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 10:02
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I drink an amount that I feel good at - I feel hydrated a 3-4 litres of fluid, as long as two litres of that is water. Less than that and I feel 'dry' and thirsty and headache-y.

My kidney function tests have always been fantastic. My guide is what works for me.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 10:56

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
Benay, you know JM isn't a scientist, right?

Yes I do know Jimmy is not a scientist. Neither is Gary Taubes. But both seek clarification from scientists. Westman is Jimmy's co-author, read every page of the manuscript, and steered Jimmy away from mistakes. In addition, Jimmy's book is riddled with quotes from current LC scientists including Volek and Phinney. He did a lot of research for the book in addition to doing a long term ketogenic diet himself.

I admire him for testing things out on himself and publicly posting his results on a regular basis. Like Atkins and Mike Eades, Jimmy has struggled with his weight and BG for years. That he is willing to share what he has learned is helpful for me.

I tend to use what is helpful to me. As a retired researcher and teacher of research methods at the university/post graduate level, I look very closely at the methods used in publicly published research and critique it for myself before I accept or reject it. I am very critical of research that is based upon an inadequate literature review (like the USDA Guidelines). I am also very critical of conclusions not based upon hard data. I am particularly critical of recommendations that generalize beyond the selected sample. But this is just me and highly colored/influenced by my background. I do not like sloppy work.

And just as another aside, I have been reading dieting research since the 1970's (before computers) with an eye toward discovering the characteristics of a successful dieter. And, like Jimmy, I tried all the published diets, and attended for profit weight loss programs, as well as university programs and OA, all without success. It wasn't until I tried PP that I lost significant weight and kept most of it off. Reading about dieting can probably be categorized as a hobby. I have read a lot of trash along the way too. So when I see someone experimenting on himself, I read more of that person's journey.

Sorry for the long winded answer to your brief question. For some reason I felt I had to defend myself.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 11:01
Experimenter

BF:

Don't dis Gary Taubes. He's got an amazing background. If there's anyone that can marry science and journalism together, it is him.

http://garytaubes.com/biography/
Quote:
Biography

Gary Taubes (born April 30, 1956) is an American science writer. He is the author of Nobel Dreams (1987), Bad Science: The Short Life and Weird Times of Cold Fusion (1993), and Good Calories, Bad Calories (2007), which is titled The Diet Delusion in the UK. He has won the Science in Society Award of the National Association of Science Writers three times and was awarded an MIT Knight Science Journalism Fellowship for 1996-97.
Born in Rochester, New York, Taubes studied applied physics at Harvard and aerospace engineering at Stanford (MS, 1978). After receiving a master’s degree in journalism at Columbia University in 1981, Taubes joined Discover magazine as a staff reporter in 1982. Since then he has written numerous articles for Discover, Science and other magazines. Originally focusing on physics issues, his interests have more recently turned to medicine and nutrition.
Taubes’ books have all dealt with scientific controversies. Nobel Dreams takes a critical look at the politics and experimental techniques behind the Nobel Prize-winning work of physicist Carlo Rubbia. Bad Science is a chronicle of the short-lived media frenzy surrounding the Pons-Fleischmann cold fusion experiments of 1989.

Jimmy is a good man, but he lacks the ability to separate good science from bad -- as most of us do. He posts some sketchy stuff on Google+ from time to time, like a recent thing about ibuprofen extending lifespan. Sure, it does in mice and fruit flies, but it is easy to extend the lifespan of short lived things. Not so easy in humans.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 11:14

BF:

I did not dis Gary Taubes. You have misread me.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 11:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
I tend to use what is helpful to me. As a retired researcher and teacher of research methods at the university/post graduate level, I look very closely at the methods used in publicly published research and critique it for myself before I accept or reject it. I am very critical of research that is based upon an inadequate literature review (like the USDA Guidelines). I am also very critical of conclusions not based upon hard data. I am particularly critical of recommendations that generalize beyond the selected sample. But this is just me and highly colored/influenced by my background. I do not like sloppy work.

outstanding response. I to do not like sloppy work. Few things are more frustrating than doing month's worth of work and finding out that a mistake was made along away.

I don't have such a high opinion of Jimmy Moore.I think he's good for giving enthusiasm but he's too quick to put a narrative to things when they have not been established. I am not as confident as you that dr westman proof read Jimmy Moore's book as closely as we would like.

I'm away from my home computer now posting from my cell phone and finding it very difficult to put together a well written response. Hopefully after I get home I'll have the motivation to respond in detail.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-14, 04:57

BF:

Here is a list of references on adequate hydration. I found several googling "adequate hydration." This one includes funded research projects. Several agree with Meme's statements.

http://familydoctor.org/familydocto...bliography.html

Here is a really neat interview with Jeff Volek at a 100 mile marathon competition won by a low carber. (He doesn't look like the typical marathon runner!) He and Steve Phinney were there to see the difference in performance between low carb and high carb runners. He has a very nice answer to the question on hydration in this population later in the interview.

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012...ff-volek-study/

Last edited by Benay : Thu, Dec-25-14 at 05:20.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-14, 11:37
Experimenter

BF:

Just combed "The Art and Science of Low Carb. Living" and there's no reference to how much you should drink, but there's a ton there on how sodium depleting a low carb diet. It also explains how you can't hang onto other minerals when you're sodium depleted and your body will actually tear down muscle to get more potassium.

You excrete sodium when you pee (and sweat).

Drink tons of fluid and you pee a lot.

Now, if you are very good about getting your 5g of sodium per day, then it might not be such an issue because you can better hang onto your liquid.

I'm referencing page 149 (in my Kindle book) of that particular book.

Athletes have different requirements. They lose a lot of water and sodium by sweating and breathing hard. However, so many times I hear about another marathon runner dying from hyponatremia because they drank too much during their run.

Ideally they should weigh themselves before a run and then after, only replacing exactly what they lost during the run. If not, then they risk having low sodium because they simply lose too much of it and it becomes too dilute. Nasty and deadly.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-14, 14:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
We don't just randomly try to make ourselves sleep, but we've grown entirely distrustful of our sense of when we should drink.

I have a vague memory of someone writing a book on that. Something something "problem,"? No — "Omni" something. Darn it! It's on the tip of my tongue!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-14, 18:59

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Are you thinking of Lights Out ?
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-14, 20:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Are you thinking of Lights Out ?

Liz, I was being ironic. Nancy's quote is the thesis of the famous (well, at least I thought it was famous) book The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-14, 21:08

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Totally missed the irony. I read The Omnivore's Dilemma some years ago - imo the last good book Pollan wrote (before he started instructing us on How and What to Eat).

I would have never connected Nancy's quote with that book, though.