Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-12, 18:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Saying "No thanks, I'm not hungry" can shock some people into realizing that one does not need to eat junk (or anything) just because it is there.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-12, 18:34

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn4c
My team love their doughnuts and choccies but I just say no and joke about them all being fatties!! They are fine about it, they know I am on a journey.
LOL, that *could* be great - except my doughnut and cake eating co-workers were both skinny as rails, and I was the fat one! But both of them were also both on high blood pressure med and statins.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-12, 18:42
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I guess the older I get, the less I care if people don't like my responses. I'm not rude, but I'm far better at asserting myself when necessary than when I was younger.

I am fortunate in that most people (family, friends, coworkers) are all respectful of my dietary needs and choices, even if they don't fully understand. Occasionally, there is the "food pusher" out there. I have no problem responding with something like, "I said no. Why do you have such trouble respecting that?" If someone were to do something like stick food on my desk after I politely declined (I do always decline politely,) I would have no problem placing it right back on his or hers - or simply tossing it - stating that I did, after all, decline the offer.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-12, 19:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

It's tough...

But...

"Yes, one little piece will hurt. I am sure you put a lot of thought and effort into this, but I simply cannot eat it."

Is my only answer before I start answering them with honest answers that have absolutely nothing to do with their topic/question...

Example, them -"Just one piece? I made this for eveyone."
me - "I duno if I could run a whole marathon."
them - "What?"
me - "Yes, a blue one. But I swapped out the rims with better ones."

They stop about this point. They are not really trying to sabotage you per se. It is just the norm to share treats this time of the year and you not partaking, well, quite frankly, confuses the hell out of them.

Or there is the person who desperately wants to lose weight and has "dieted" all their life and has not lost or gains it all back. You, by sticking to your guns, make them look bad in their own eyes.

If you stay true, lose the weight and stay healthy, you are definitely not normal, or average. You (me too) are the freak, not them.... I will truthfully talk with anyone with questions or curiosity about the WOE. And I am careful to include that my Doctor backs the LC lifestyle, with exercise and that I understand this is not just weight loss. It is not a "diet" it is a way of living for total health. Ever notice a lot of diabetics are thin? High blood pressure is not just for large people either... LC addresses all of that too!

So, rock on freaky dudes and dudesses! Stay true to your plan! You know why, you know whats bad and you ARE strong enough to stand your ground and not jump face first down the slippery slope into a full blown cheat!
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-12, 20:29

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich
I'm usually blunt...I say "I can't have that...I have a disease called "If I eat anything like that I blimp out..."

That usually does the trick.

Love it, love it
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-12, 20:56

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
It's tough...

But...

"Yes, one little piece will hurt. I am sure you put a lot of thought and effort into this, but I simply cannot eat it."

Is my only answer before I start answering them with honest answers that have absolutely nothing to do with their topic/question...

them - "What?"

They stop about this point. They are not really trying to sabotage you per se. It is just the norm to share treats this time of the year and you not partaking, well, quite frankly, confuses the hell out of them.

Or there is the person who desperately wants to lose weight and has "dieted" all their life and has not lost or gains it all back. You, by sticking to your guns, make them look bad in their own eyes.

If you stay true, lose the weight and stay healthy, you are definitely not normal, or average. You (me too) are the freak, not them.... I will truthfully talk with anyone with questions or curiosity about the WOE. And I am careful to include that my Doctor backs the LC lifestyle, with exercise and that I understand this is not just weight loss. It is not a "diet" it is a way of living for total health. Ever notice a lot of diabetics are thin? High blood pressure is not just for large people either... LC addresses all of that too!

So, rock on freaky dudes and dudesses! Stay true to your plan! You know why, you know whats bad and you ARE strong enough to stand your ground and not jump face first down the slippery slope into a full blown cheat!

Good post, thank you
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 01:12

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 249/152/149 Female 5'4"
BF:5'4", 71
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia-b
You do have to consider that it is one room, and that you are the newbie there--you can't exactly make rules about what food they set out. You can only control yourself.

You're so right. I tried to use my most tactful self and asked them to please help me if possible. I have a god feeling about it. I figure I'll visualize what I want and hope for the best!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 08:51

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
them - "What?"

They stop about this point.

Bwahahahah! I'd love to do that. I'd need to practice it first and memorise the "nonsense" lines to make it sound natural.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 12:09

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by calee
You're so right. I tried to use my most tactful self and asked them to please help me if possible. I have a god feeling about it. I figure I'll visualize what I want and hope for the best!

I think you did the right thing by stating it right away so no one is surprised later.
Now you can remind them that this isn't anything new

Pizza day tomorrow, I'll be the one scraping the topping off and eating that )

I call Donuts 'Fat Pills' and Candy 'crack' most people get it, but I'm about this close to buying a pack of cigarettes to offer any 'pushers'. I'll tell them I'll eat just one if they smoke just one...
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 14:23

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

It seems to me that it would be harder if you are at goal and especially if you've been there a while. People do see this as a temporary diet and have a hard time understanding why you can't eat like a 'normal' person now. As someone who tries to eat gluten free, a woman who loved to bring cookies and doughnuts in, couldn't understand why a little bit of wheat mattered. I named off every ill that I had erased that was no longer evident and told her that if I had one bite, then I would want another and before you knew it, I would be fighting joint pain, dry skin, gas, etc. People don't understand cravings. I have explained that to people and they all accepted it. Make whatever you want to tell them into a long, boring story and they'll leave you alone.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 14:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
It seems to me that it would be harder if you are at goal and especially if you've been there a while. People do see this as a temporary diet and have a hard time understanding why you can't eat like a 'normal' person now. As someone who tries to eat gluten free, a woman who loved to bring cookies and doughnuts in, couldn't understand why a little bit of wheat mattered. I named off every ill that I had erased that was no longer evident and told her that if I had one bite, then I would want another and before you knew it, I would be fighting joint pain, dry skin, gas, etc. People don't understand cravings. I have explained that to people and they all accepted it. Make whatever you want to tell them into a long, boring story and they'll leave you alone.

I just say "I'm allergic" and let them make what they want out of it. If it's someone that I think really doesn't know, I will also explain that I'm also diabetic. Anyone who doesn't understand that, doesn't matter anyway.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 16:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Make whatever you want to tell them into a long, boring story and they'll leave you alone.

That's brilliant!
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 08:34

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 249/152/149 Female 5'4"
BF:5'4", 71
Progress: 97%

My statement about eating low carb and requesting help from the two women in my office worked! My coworker came in yesterday and said that there was lots of cake leftover from her twins birthday party, but because of my request she didnt bring it into the office. Later in the day we walked together to pick up our lunch salads and I had an opportunity to thank her again. She is somewhat careful with her food as well.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 11:02

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Wow, that's Fantastic!
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 21:48
Registered Member

Plan: IF/Atkins/Anchell
Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

My favorite answer is "I'm allergic" Usually stops people from pushing. If they persist and want to know what happens I tell them "I break out in fat" they get a chuckle out of it.