Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 20:28
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Will one of you brilliant cooks please invent a chocolate jello pudding pop that is legal to eat? It's been damn hot here until the rain today (rain! yay!) and having something from the freezer would be awesome!

Which reminds me: what happens if you freeze jello??

PJ
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 21:39

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks for sharing this, Sol. I am not a big fan of shredded coconut, but I suppose it would be a sticky mess without it? Hard to eat, too, I suppose. It is too bad that most confectionary sugar has corn starch, otherwise I would use that to "dust" them. I can't come up with any other substitute ideas, can you? Cocoa, maybe?
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 21:48

BF:

Hi PJ,
Can't vouch for this recipe, but it was the only one I could find online that had "legal" ingredients and included gelatin.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/29639-c...te-pudding-pops
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 09:33

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
Thanks for sharing this, Sol. I am not a big fan of shredded coconut, but I suppose it would be a sticky mess without it? Hard to eat, too, I suppose. It is too bad that most confectionary sugar has corn starch, otherwise I would use that to "dust" them. I can't come up with any other substitute ideas, can you? Cocoa, maybe?

I don't think my version with more gelatin would be overly sticky wihtout the coconut......the coconut acutally does not stick as much to this version as it did to the original recipe less gelatin. I used it on these anyway because my husband likes it.

Hmm, what about rolling them in plain sugar? Or a coarse sugar like turbinado for the crunch? If you try it let me know how it works. The coconut gets stuck in my teeth, so I'd like to find something else.

Oh, edited to say, cocoa shuold be good.
sol
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 11:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollyb
I don't think my version with more gelatin would be overly sticky wihtout the coconut......the coconut acutally does not stick as much to this version as it did to the original recipe less gelatin. I used it on these anyway because my husband likes it.

Hmm, what about rolling them in plain sugar? Or a coarse sugar like turbinado for the crunch? If you try it let me know how it works. The coconut gets stuck in my teeth, so I'd like to find something else.

Oh, edited to say, cocoa shuold be good.
sol

Hi Sol,
I am confused. You said that the original version called for 4.5 tablespoons and yours calls for 3, right? (See below.) And the original recipe you found too soft and fragile. Then you say above that "I don't think my version with more gelatin would be overly sticky without the coconut...."

So, just to clarify, are you saying to make it LESS sticky and gooey, I should add MORE gelatin or LESS?

P.S. I'd like to give the original website where I got the basics of this recipe, but I can't find it again. Above is my own variation..........the original recipe called for 4 1/2 teaspoons gelatin, which made a marshmallow I thought was too soft and fragile. Also, not sure how Peat-friendly shredded coconut is, but it is very yummy! The coconut isn't strictly necessary, but it lets the marshmallows turn out of the pan very easily.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 19:06

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 0%

New recipe in workoutmaster:

Flourless Chocolate Cake
http://www.workoutmaster.com/?p=2291

It works marvelously!!!!!!!!!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 10:38

BF:

Quote:
Hi Sol,
I am confused. You said that the original version called for 4.5 tablespoons and yours calls for 3, right? (See below.) And the original recipe you found too soft and fragile. Then you say above that "I don't think my version with more gelatin would be overly sticky without the coconut...."

So, just to clarify, are you saying to make it LESS sticky and gooey, I should add MORE gelatin or LESS?

Sorry, I must have been unclear I'll go and see if I can edit better........

any way, the original recipe called for 4 and 1/2 TEASPOONS of gelatin (1 1/2 tablespoons)........my version I used 3 TABLESPOONS

I just went and re-read the recipe and it is correct, as in the sentence just above...........
sol
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 12:01

BF:

Hi Sol,
Still not clear on the answer to my question, "So, just to clarify, are you saying to make it LESS sticky and gooey, I should add MORE gelatin or LESS?"
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 15:55

BF:

Quote:
Hi Sol,
Still not clear on the answer to my question, "So, just to clarify, are you saying to make it LESS sticky and gooey, I should add MORE gelatin or LESS?"

More.
sol
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 17:59

BF:

Quote:
My variation on the Potato Soup "theme":

1.Boil up some yellow flesh potatoes - 2 large or 3 medium. Cook until soft, almost mushy.
2.Drain. Allow to cool. Peel. Mash in pan.

I'm guessing from the instructions for cooking the potatoes above, it isn't necessary to peel potatoes before cooking them?

Somehow, I got the idea potatoes done "peatish" are supposed to be peeled before cooking? Don't know why I thought that.......
sol
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 18:41

BF:

Yes, Peat says not to eat the peels, because they contain alkaloids. Usually I boil them with the skins on, and then peel them after they are cooked and cooled, before mashing.

I do it that way because I cook quite a few at one time, and leave them cooked and in their skins on the counter for a day or two. Then I just grab one, peel it, and fry it up with breakfast or mash it for dinner. They seem to hold up better if left in their skins.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 10:45

BF:

Quote:
Yes, Peat says not to eat the peels, because they contain alkaloids. Usually I boil them with the skins on, and then peel them after they are cooked and cooled, before mashing.

Does cooking in the skins tansfer more of the alkaloids from the skins into the flesh during the cooking? I am thinking the alkaloids would go into the cooking water and be absorbed by the flesh? The potato flesh does contain some alkaloids already, but couldn't this add more?

Don't get me wrong.......I'd rather do it the way you do, it is easier to peel a cooked potato than a raw one, LOL. I just don't want to increase the level of alkaloids in the potato flesh, particularly because I'm sensitive to nightshade alkaloids.

I think I've answered my own question......for me any risk of increasing alkaloid content probably isn't worth the ease of boiling in the skins.........

I'd still like to know for sure if it does increase alkaloids in the potato flesh or not though.........
sol
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 13:55

BF:

Hi Sol, I don't know. I couldn't find any information about whether boiling them in the skins increases the alkaloids in the potato or not. I did read that most of the alkaloids are in the skin and in the outer layers of the potato, and after they are cooked and cooled and I peel them, I usually end up peeling the outer edge of the potato along with the peel. (It is hard to avoid, since they are so soft!) So that probably reduces the alkaloids more than peeling just the peel off before cooking. Who knows? It's a theory. :-)

But I eat 2 a day, every day, and never get any aches and pains from eating them, whereas if I eat the tiniest bit of starch from grains, I get tons of joint pain.

Last edited by Cathy B. : Sun, Aug-14-11 at 14:23.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 17:30

BF:

Quote:
But I eat 2 a day, every day, and never get any aches and pains from eating them, whereas if I eat the tiniest bit of starch from grains, I get tons of joint pain.

I confess I'm amazed at how much potato I'm eating without any joint pain. But then I'm also eating corn without joint pain. Since both have given me pain in the past, something is changing.........
sol
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 18:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollyb
I confess I'm amazed at how much potato I'm eating without any joint pain. But then I'm also eating corn without joint pain. Since both have given me pain in the past, something is changing.........
sol

I think Peat has said that food sensitivities are often due to an under functioning thyroid, so maybe that means yours is healing! Yay!