Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 07:58

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutz
Grains are overrated...and if you go long enough without them, you will think they taste nasty next time you try them.

I splurged on potato chips today...they were disgusting. Not how I remembered them at all. I didn't even want to swallow...what a waste of calories. And then I had a SEVERE crash and HAD to take a nap (fell asleep sitting upright on my couch)...which is when my unattended 7 week old puppy peed on my floor...twice. whoops...all because of a weakness that was so NOT worth it.

But I tell you what. Every time I cave, my memory gets better and better. There are foods that just simply do NOT tempt me anymore. You can get there too.

Please don't have a surgery...our bodies are AMAZING. I always wonder about the long term of these patients that have vital parts of their organs completely removed as if they shouldn't have ever been there. Its permanent. There are so many inspirational stories of people like us who never thought they could reach their goals...but they did.

One last analogy and I'll leave you to your thoughts. Gastric bypass can be compared to bankruptcy or having someone bail you out of a financial mess. RARELY does anyone learn from these experiences and they live to see debt again. Sometimes things can only be learned thoroughly the hardest way.

This is simply not correct information-nothing is removed during wls your gastric tract is altered. That is a very poor analogy also-gastric bypass doesn't bail anyone out of anything.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 07:59

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanaBanana
Hi,
Have you ever though of just throwing a towel and take an easy way out? Lately, I am seriously contemplating to jut do the lap band. I went so far to even ask my doctor to refer me.
Yesterday I got a letter from my insurance company saying that they APPROVED my lap band and it will be covered by insurance, but I am not really sure. I dont want to look like I gave up and took an easy way out... I am not weak, I just cant stop eating.......

I eat very healthy, but A LOT. I have no stoppage, no will power to just eat a proper portion.....

Help. The approval letter is sitting in front of me and I dont know what to do....

Things to think about.

If you truly ate food, it wouldn't matter how much you ate, it wouldn't make you fat or sick. On the contrary, food would make you healthy just like it does for every other species on this planet. If you don't fix the hormones that made you fat in the first place, it won't matter much to do the surgery because the problem is not the tissue, it's the hormones.

On the other hand, if what you eat makes you fat, it's important to not eat too much of it. Then if you choose to do the surgery, you'll still have to take care of the hormones to prevent the problem from returning.

Remember that when we cut out sugar, it's not because we want to eat less, it's because we want to fix the hormone insulin so that the fat tissue starts to work properly.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 08:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
This is simply not correct information-nothing is removed during wls your gastric tract is altered. That is a very poor analogy also-gastric bypass doesn't bail anyone out of anything.

Thank-you for this post. I was trying to help Yana as I have had gastric bypass. This thread has only made me realize why I do not discuss this issue with just anyone.
Rox
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 08:20

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
...If you don't fix the hormones that made you fat in the first place, it won't matter much to do the surgery because the problem is not the tissue, it's the hormones...

Actually, some of these surgeries removes a part of the intestines that produces the enzymes used to digest carbs, fats and proteins are mostly not affected, but some micronutrients are (like vitamins). So you actually reduce your intake of carbs (into the bloodstream) without reducing your intake of carbs (into your mouth).

Personally, I think the complications are not worth it. I would rather suggest liposuction if surgery is your choice.

In January this year, I had an extended tummy tuck (with some liposuction), after losing 80lbs with dieting. I'm very satisfied so far and I will probably get some more lipo done in the near future.

Patrick
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 08:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Actually, some of these surgeries removes a part of the intestines that produces the enzymes used to digest carbs, fats and proteins are mostly not affected, but some micronutrients are (like vitamins). So you actually reduce your intake of carbs (into the bloodstream) without reducing your intake of carbs (into your mouth).

Personally, I think the complications are not worth it. I would rather suggest liposuction if surgery is your choice.

In January this year, I had an extended tummy tuck (with some liposuction), after losing 80lbs with dieting. I'm very satisfied so far and I will probably get some more lipo done in the near future.

Patrick

What surgery removes a part of the intestines?
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 08:48

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 254/222/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringamajig
Thank-you for this post. I was trying to help Yana as I have had gastric bypass. This thread has only made me realize why I do not discuss this issue with just anyone.
Rox

I am EXTREMELY sorry for offending you...I definitely did not mean to do that. I do not judge anyone that has had it and obviously showed my ignorance about the procedure. I had watched a Discovery Health show on it and they did explain that some of the length of intestine was removed.

I don't think you should stop discussing your experience with the surgery...especially with ignorant run of the mouths like myself lol.

I still would not advocate a surgery where it is not absolutely imperative to sustaining life. I also think my bankruptcy analogy was taken the wrong way...what I mean was that having your stomach reduced in size can only be a tool, but like it was mentioned, the rules can be bent and if the underlying issues are not resolved, there ARE ways around the smaller stomach which will put you back to zero.

Again, I'm so super sorry I offended anyone.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 08:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutz
I am EXTREMELY sorry for offending you...I definitely did not mean to do that. I do not judge anyone that has had it and obviously showed my ignorance about the procedure. I had watched a Discovery Health show on it and they did explain that some of the length of intestine was removed.

I don't think you should stop discussing your experience with the surgery...especially with ignorant run of the mouths like myself lol.

I still would not advocate a surgery where it is not absolutely imperative to sustaining life. I also think my bankruptcy analogy was taken the wrong way...what I mean was that having your stomach reduced in size can only be a tool, but like it was mentioned, the rules can be bent and if the underlying issues are not resolved, there ARE ways around the smaller stomach which will put you back to zero.

Again, I'm so super sorry I offended anyone.

I can't think of any wls off the top of my head that removes intestine (could be wrong). It is called gastric bypass because intestine is bypassed not removed.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 09:05

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
I can't think of any wls off the top of my head that removes intestine (could be wrong). It is called gastric bypass because intestine is bypassed not removed.

It's easy to forget there are different types of surgeries - bypass, lap band, etc. I thought that the early forms of WLS did remove sections of the stomach? It seems to me that rendering part of the intestines or stomach incapable of absorbing food is very akin to actually removing it, though.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 09:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
It's easy to forget there are different types of surgeries - bypass, lap band, etc. I thought that the early forms of WLS did remove sections of the stomach? It seems to me that rendering part of the intestines or stomach incapable of absorbing food is very akin to actually removing it, though.

It is called gastric bypass for a reason-intestine is bypassed not removed and I am aware of the different surgeries but can't think of one where anything is removed. The stomach is not rendered incapable of absorbing food-it is made smaller and in some surgeries a portion of the small intestine bypassed.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 10:13
Moving along...

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 207/207/137 Female 5'3"
BF:45%/45%/??%
Progress: 0%

Thank you so much for your kind responses and very helpful advices. I was NEVER considering a bypass ( this is way to scary to me). I was considering lap band as it seems like less invasive and actually reversible, but non the less a major surgery that alternates my stomach.
I see the light and I hear what you are saying. I am pretty much convinced I DONT want to do it.

By the way, i have a question for people who were talking about hormones: Why when i asked my doctor to check my hormones and see may be something is out of normal and this is the reason I am gaining weight she said that if my menses are regular it means everything is normal and only checked me for thyroid.

What hormones are you guys talking about?

I extensively THANK all of you for sharing with me your experiences, life stories, and your feelings. I feel very accepted and cared about.

Please let the suggestions flow. I love every single one of them
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 10:19

BF:

Quote:
What surgery removes a part of the intestines?

You are right. There are none currently in use. But the effect of the bypass is the same as what I described. They bypass a part of the intestines that contains a high density of the cells that produces the enzymes to digest carbs.

Patrick
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 10:26

BF:

Quote:
...By the way, i have a question for people who were talking about hormones: Why when i asked my doctor to check my hormones and see may be something is out of normal and this is the reason I am gaining weight she said that if my menses are regular it means everything is normal and only checked me for thyroid.

What hormones are you guys talking about?...

Martin was not talking about hormones like Thyroid (that your doc probably checked), he was talking about hormones like insulin. And not in the sense that you could be diabetic, but in the sense that anything that promotes insulin secretion is what makes us fat. And by real food, he means animal fats and proteins.

I do not agree with Martin on this by the way. And since we are in the war zone, I will also say that IMHO carbs are not evil by themselves and that any sustained caloric surplus results in the diseases of civilization. But that is a discussion for another thread.

Patrick
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 10:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
You are right. There are none currently in use. But the effect of the bypass is the same as what I described. They bypass a part of the intestines that contains a high density of the cells that produces the enzymes to digest carbs.

Patrick

This isn't true-I've been walking this walk for 10 years and you malabsorb fat not carbs.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 10:34

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
By the way, i have a question for people who were talking about hormones: Why when i asked my doctor to check my hormones and see may be something is out of normal and this is the reason I am gaining weight she said that if my menses are regular it means everything is normal and only checked me for thyroid.

What hormones are you guys talking about?
We are talking about the hormones of hunger and feeding and fuel, like insulin mainly but also cortisol and some others. Your doc probably thought you were talking about female reproductive hormones or thyroid - and if your doc is like 99% of the GP docs we see, probably just does not think to talk about the the hunger and feeding hormones like insulin and so on for weight loss.

The low carb books all explain this. I would recommend one of the books. I first read Protein Power, myself.

Here's an online article to get you started - Mark Sisson talking about insulin (about diabetes but it's a good start)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/

Also, the hormones are involved in the hungry horrors from wheat and dairy. This is how I think of it for me, who is sensitive to "white powder" foods like grains and sugar, and dairy. I am exaggering a little - but this is how it goes for me:

1. I eat grains, sugars, or milk.
2. My system senses danger from the bad chemicals (gluten from the flour and casein from the milk).
3. My body activates the fight-flight-FEED hormones for the danger, and simultaneously shoots out endorphin to cover the pain that can come with fight-flight
4. Fight-flight-feed is sugar burning. So now I am burning through glucose like crazy. (insulin and cortisol high)

Now comes the crash:

5. Time passes and effect of the white flour and dairy fades.
6. I get a rebound low from the endorphins (the crash after the high). This feels antsy, low, and can't-stop-eating.
7. I am glucose depleted and need energy NOW - faster than my stored fat can deliver.
8. I crave fast carbs both for the fast energy and to ease the endorphin crash.
9. Back to step 1. Repeat forever.

Now imagine adding therapy to this. Therapy usually talks forever how sad and problematic my mood is at step 8 because I am hungry, antsy, depressed and can't stop.
But when I addressed the behavior at step 1 - what I eat - then step 8 doesn't even happen.

Last edited by Seejay : Fri, Oct-22-10 at 10:50.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 10:38
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

Well personally I can see that some of the several WLS (weight loss surgeries) are are more drastic than others, but in the end, every one of them involve:

1. Someone cutting into you
2. Someone messing with how your body naturally operates, to make it operate quite differently
3. Dealing with the consequences of both of the above

So I think all the points on the thread end up being accurate in at least some context.

Regarding hormones, I recently grabbed a quote of Dr. Kurt Harris's blog that I thought was a very simplified, succinct explanation of one aspect of the hormonal situation (my bolding):

Quote:
Briefly, eating excess calories from any source will make you gain weight if hormones are driving fat storage, and won't otherwise. Whether the caloric excess is protein or fat or carbs does not matter if your adipocytes are storing fat under hormonal direction.

You can give a type I diabetic all the carbs you want, and without exogenous insulin they lose weight.

Conversely, if I keep your caloric intake the same with zero carbs and you are not diabetic, and I give you extra insulin, you will start storing fat (stop releasing) and become ravenously hungry. If I don't let you eat more, you will then get lethargic and your metabolic rate will decline. You will now be fatter, slower and eating the exact same calories.

Under the right (or wrong) hormonal milieu, it matters not a whit if the extra calories are fat, carbs or proteins.

Macronutrient ratios mediate weight via hormones. Hormones drive fat storage.

The point to note as a link off that bolded part, is that the body will *drive you to eat more calories* under that circumstance. Humans are part of the animal kingdom, this is fundamental, willpower can temporarily hold something in abeyance but not for too long when it's survival drives.

What some are suggesting is that without correcting the hormonal cycle described above--where you get too much insulin and at best, don't eat more, but your metabolic rate drops (your food calories 'store' instead of being given you for energy, so you get fatter and you get more lethargic), at worst, you do eat more, and this is a spiral upward of that situation (ask me how I know, sigh)--then it's likely to be an issue no matter what you do with 'interventions in absorption/digestion/etc.'.

And if you work on correcting that hormonal cycle, first and foremost by eating 'real food' (and ideally, avoiding food you may have issues with, such as gluten grains and dairy), then a good deal of weight is going to come off naturally, without the manual, surgical intervention being necessary.

The above info is a part of what is explained at great dense length detail by Gary Taubes in his book Good Calories, Bad Calories. If you don't like big dense tomes, he has a more user-friendly version of it coming out in December you can preorder:
http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fa.../dp/0307272702/

In the end, you see with this cycle, it isn't that people 'are getting fat because they're eating too much' quite so much as it is that they are 'eating so much BECAUSE they are getting fat!' -- because the body's taking that food, storing it, and then the high insulin prevents it being released for energy. So (a) they're lethargic, and (b) they're driven to go eat because their body needs energy.

Hope that helps,
PJ

Last edited by rightnow : Fri, Oct-22-10 at 10:50.