Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 18:52

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I believe WIC stands for "Women Infant Children" and is an acronym for a government food subsidy program for low income families. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Not too long ago I saw a news item online about some unemployed women who were complaining that they couldn't find work and couldn't feed themselves on the welfare/unemployment benefits they were receiving. Both women (mother and daughter IIRC) were remarkably obese, and I remember thinking that a lot of people reading the article would have said, or at least thought, some very unkind things about them being able the "miss a meal," but, in fact, their poverty was quite possibly at the root of their obesity. I'm sure they subsisted on cheap carbs and junk food because they could afford it. Fresh meat would certainly have led to less hunger and improved health, but they probably felt it was too expensive and couldn't imagine a meal without mounds of potatoes and bread.

Last edited by Nelson : Thu, Apr-29-10 at 18:58.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 19:17
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I'm always wishing they'd come up with a 'nutrient density index' or something along those lines - right next to where they post the unit price of a particular grocery item. Sure, something like a big box of cereal or noodles might seem cheaper, but what am I getting? To me, a box of cereal now seems like nothing more than sugared styrofoam.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: standard low-carb
Stats: 200/192/165 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
To me, a box of cereal now seems like nothing more than sugared styrofoam.

After eating so much real food, all processed food starts to taste like that. I remember how plastic-ish a chocolate bar tasted after ONE WEEK of LCing.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 09:56

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I wish my taste buds would change like that. All I get is super sensitivity to saltiness.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 10:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
I'm always wishing they'd come up with a 'nutrient density index' or something along those lines - right next to where they post the unit price of a particular grocery item. Sure, something like a big box of cereal or noodles might seem cheaper, but what am I getting? To me, a box of cereal now seems like nothing more than sugared styrofoam.

Only problem is grains seem nutrient dense until you realize you can't really absorb those nutrients because of the phytates in the grain.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: standard low-carb
Stats: 200/192/165 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 23%

I read somewhere that if you ate wheat off the plant, you'd poop it out because you body can't digest it. Any truth there?

It would make sense since that's how nature spreads plant seeds around. It would also explain why wheat grains are ground into flour for food.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 11:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by crease
now now, wic cereal isn't full of sugar (but we do give sugar water, i mean juice). but i agree with you about wic checks - the program pushes the food pyramid and unhealthy eating - you can buy it or you don't have to, but you can't substitute. same for food stamps, which doesn't push anything but allows for the purchase of cheetos, etc. 2 major hot button issues for me. complain about how medical costs and health issues are out of control in this country, yet don't teach people how to actually make healthy choices.

unfortunately i can't really spout off at work about how i truly feel because i work for the wic program

I agree it's all bad, but it's gotten worse...much worse. Arizona WIC standards changed in October 2010. The new standards for non-infant cereal now include:

• Any store brand Crispy Rice
or Toasted Oats
• Quaker Life
• Quaker Oatmeal Squares
(Brown Sugar and Cinnamon)
• General Mills Total
• General Mills Kix
• General Mills Cheerios
(Plain and Multigrain)
• General Mills Chex
(Rice, Corn and Wheat)
• Kellogg’s Corn Flakes
• Kellogg’s Special K
• Kellogg’s All Bran Wheat Flakes
Kellogg’s Frosted Mini Wheats
(Bite Size)
• Kellogg’s Rice Krispies
Malt-O-Meal Frosted Mini Spooners
• Malt-O-Meal Crispy Rice
• Post Banana Nut Crunch
Post Honey Bunches of Oats
(Honey Roasted, Almond or
Vanilla Bunches)

• Post Grape-Nuts

It was bad enough to have Cheerios, Kix and corn flakes. Now let's shove Frosted Mini Wheats down the kiddos in the name of anti-poverty kids' nutrition.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 11:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Can't you buy eggs, meat and veggies with WIC?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 11:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

In Arizona, it's dependent on age and weight of the woman, infant or child. And whether a woman breastfeeds or not. So the newborn checks might have formula. A little older, infant cereal, then infant stage 2 foods. I love the ones for breastfeeding women that include tuna. Healthiest thing outside of eggs to ever come with WIC.

A typical child check may have milk, juice, eggs, peanut butter or lentils (beans), rice/bread/tortillas and milk. The family often gets a voucher for a small quantity of fresh fruits or veggies, but that's a new addition, too. You don't have to take it all. A person could buy just the milk and eggs and veggies, but these checks are like gold to struggling families. I just think that people should have choices in how they want to feed their families, but people with wealth have choices. The government dictates to the poor.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 11:59
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I had WIC when pregnant. Saved my life. Thank God I was able to buy milk and stuff with it.

The cheapest plainwrap cereal was also a staple though, mostly because it was one of the cheapest things. Generally anybody who qualifies for and needs WIC cares a lot about cost, and almost nobody knows what's truly nutritious, so . . .
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 12:29

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodo
Now THAT is a b-e-a-utiful sight!
I was so impressed that I went out and bought some portabello mushrooms--now I just have to figure out what to do with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Isn't it weird to walk into the supermarket, now that you know what food really is, and see the rows upon rows of cardboard boxes and cellophane packages that you used to think were food? It's like being in the Twilight Zone. I want to run around like that guy from Soylent Green, yelling, "But it's not fooooooood!"

Actually, I just realized that when I go into the store I don't even see the packaged products. It is so natural to just go over to the veggie, dairy and meat areas and the required canned products, such as coconut milk, that it's just as if the rest of the stuff isn't even there.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 12:35
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

There is some novel I read as a kid but I can't recall where this is from, where near the end, the main character goes into this room and it's totally filled with luscious cakes and pies and every kind of delicious food. But then something happens and he "sees through" the magic, and they are eating refuse, crap and trash and slimy disgusting brown stuff. But it's enchanted to SEEM like really great food. Sometimes the grocery store seems like that to me. Like this colorful plastic enchantment to convince people that they should consider it 'food'.

PJ
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 16:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
Actually, I just realized that when I go into the store I don't even see the packaged products. It is so natural to just go over to the veggie, dairy and meat areas and the required canned products, such as coconut milk, that it's just as if the rest of the stuff isn't even there.
Actually I just got back from the supermarket 45 minutes ago. I had to pick up some paper goods and laundry detergent, but had a hankering for a few specialty items that required me to venture down the aisles. Although this was my usual local supermarket, the Super Stop 'n Shop, I rarely venture down the aisles, so I kept going down the wrong ones, and backtracking, and probably taking far longer than if I had just gone up and down every aisle, but I hate to do that so much. Those rows and rows of bright packages just depress me.

But if anyone had peered into MY shopping cart I'm sure it would have looked very odd and lopsided, and filled with very strange things. In addition to the paper goods, etc my cart contained:
- 5 cans of plain packed pumpkin
- 5 cans of Nestle media crema
- 2 packages KerryGold Irish butter
- 1 package KerryGold Dubliner cheese
- 1 package mascarpone cheese
- 1 container of sour cream
- 4 jars of macadamia nuts (suddenly had a craving for them )
- 1 cannister of plain unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 bars of Ghiardelli unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 box of Truvia
- 1 small bottle of pure vanilla extract
- 1 bottle of cinnamon
- 1 bottle of garlic/parsley powder
- 2 packages of hot dogs (these are actually for my dog, who has cancer and is on a lot of meds, and I stick his pills inside hot dog chunks)

I'm sure anyone looking in would say to themselves. "That big fat lady sure eats a balanced diet. *NOT*!"

But at least I had no BOXES of CR*P. And then I came home and cooked dinner - chicken livers sauteed in bacon grease, along with chopped up bacon, fresh mushrooms, fresh garlic, some garlic/parsley powder, sour cream, and a tiny splash of brandy.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, May-01-10, 02:22

Plan: :D
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

when i see carts full of frozen and boxed stuff i get nauseated now :/ the same for fast food commercials. something about it being all the same color

i don't do much variety in my shopping tho, i don't know what to do with most veggies and don't have the patience to look up a week's worth of recipes so my staples are broccoli, chicken, steak, mushrooms, spaghetti sauce, frozen spinach and yogurt
  #45   ^
Old Sat, May-01-10, 06:12
Registered Member

Plan: grain, soy, & dairy free
Stats: 210/178/120 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Eating low carb definitely makes it easier to shop now. It's funny how before, if I saw something like eggs and bacon in someone's shopping cart, I'd be thinking "oh no, they're killing themselves!", but now I know the truth. Wish everyone did, especially doctors.