Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 08:39

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 166/163/138 Female 5 feet 7.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Yesterday: Eggs and leftover grilled pork loin chop for breakfast, pork loin chops with sage and tomato + fresh cucumber for lunch, marinated (soy, vinegar, garlic - not so paleo) pork loin on grill with roasted peppers and onions. Wow - what a porky day!

Today: 3 eggs scrambled in butter with homemade low carb ketchup for breakfast, canned tuna (uh oh - poor planning!) with canola (not paleo) mayo and fresh cucumber for lunch, Some sort of wild salmon - grilled? broiled? for dinner with salad. I guess this is my fishy day!

Might also sneak up to the neighbors and grab some radishes from her garden. I LOVE them sauteed - they are also good roasted. I've even put them in stews. Other not so common sauteed goodies for my family include celery sauteed in butter until tender and watercress. YUM!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 09:30

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The thought of eating cooked radishes makes my mouth cringe! You guys are all nuts!

Spicy crunchy raw radishes are where it's at. Sometimes I pickle them a little in some raw apple cider vinegar with garlic and jalapenos and that's pretty good too.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: LC Paleo-ish
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 68
BF:UGH
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy

Tonight, Bacon Explosion!

Plane

Hmmm what is this bacon explosion you speak of?
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 09:54

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Spicy crunchy raw radishes are where it's at. Sometimes I pickle them a little in some raw apple cider vinegar with garlic and jalapenos and that's pretty good too.

All sorts of radishes ferment very well. I have some pickled grated daikon in my basement and some pickled turnips, beets, and onions in the kitchen.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 15:56

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%
Default Bacon Explosion

Bacon Explosion:

Not my invention, google the term to see the origins. My take on it leaves out the BBQ sauce.

- Take one pound of bacon and cook it to crisp. (obviously save the fat for another recipe like the bacon drippings mayo)
- Take another pound of bacon (you know a recipe will be good when it includes that line) which is about 10-12 strips.
- Weave these into a mat either 5x5 or 6x6 by alternating them over and under like a chair seat.
- I like to sprinkle this with a Jamaican Jerk dry rub mixture. Use whatever spices seem right to you. Or leave plain.
- Spackle the bacon mat with about 1.5 pounds of sausage. Italian or breakfast sausage works well. You can use a combination of spicy and mild, or whatever you want. Chorizo would be a bit overkill. Think sausage meatloaf.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and spread evenly over the sausage.
- Here's the only thing close to tricky, carefully roll up the sausage around the cooked bacon, leaving the bacon mat untouched, and ending up with a round loaf at one end of the bacon mat and is the full width of the mat. Then roll the loaf back the other way wrapping the bacon mat around it. Sprinkle more dry rub if you wish.
- Here you can either smoke it in a smoker for 2-3 hours (about an hour per inch of thickness), or cook it low and slow (250-degree) for the same amount of time, or I like to roast the bacon to crisp it a bit (500 for about 30 minutes) then turn the temperature down to 250 for another hour or so. Cook till internal temperature is right for pork (can't remember right now, 145?)

I cook mine on a broiler pan with the slits in the bottom. This allows all of the grease to drip down.

What you're left with is a beautiful, smokey, spicy meatloaf. Slice and enjoy.

My wife is horrified by this so I only make it when she's out of town.

Weeee!

Plane
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 16:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm... I have 2 pounds of uncooked bacon in the fridge.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 17:31

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

I just pulled mine out of the oven and I have a modification of my post. Cook it at 500 for about 12 minutes. Keep an eye on it because it's a fine line between crispy and burnt. I just made it on the side of crispy. And the temperature should be 145, and while you let it rest, it will go up to 150.

Man, it is good. Pictures from an earlier bacon explosion

Bacon mat

With the sausage

Ready for the oven

Ready for eating!

Plane
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: LC Paleo-ish
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 68
BF:UGH
Progress:

OMG I think I'm in love....
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 19:12

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My (also LC/paleoish) sister is visiting for the weekend...I think I smell a project...
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%

Wow

Quote:
My wife is horrified by this so I only make it when she's out of town.

Today:

1/2 lb beef ball tips with braised chard & radishes
1/2 lb ribeye with braised chard & radishes (yeah yeah yeah... lots of chard & radishes)
Huge salad with radishes (har har), avocado with 2 soft boiled eggs from the hens & some very "unpaleo" local raw bleu cheese.

I sayeth such: no one can say paleo man never had domestic relationships with mammals - cheese and yogurt would have been natural byproducts of mammal milk when stored as fruits (which fermented) in similar pouches. Also, bleu cheese is mindblowingly delicious.

One of our hens has been laying ENORMOUS eggs. Seriously HUGE, like duck sized.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 08:26

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Funny you should mention that. Our chickens consistently lay the biggest eggs I've ever seen. It's gotten so that "large" supermarket eggs look tiny to me...
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 09:19

BF:

What is UP with that??? It's crazy! Maybe our chickens have a psychic link I'm sure it's Teriyaki. She was the first to start laying.

I kind of feel bad for her.. it'd be like giving birth to a 10lb baby! Jeezo criminy!
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 09:20

BF:

I should also add that last night I also had 1/2 squeezed grapefruit with tequila a.k.a. Heaven!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 09:28
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Came across a great recipe awhile back - it's Greek Lemon Roasted Chicken, found it on Kalyn's Kitchen blog.

Since it's summer, don't always want to fuss with a whole roasting chicken, so I've tried the marinade on other things - chicken tenders, turkey tenderloins and last night - I marinated a bunch of boneless, center-cut pork chops in this lemon-greek marinade overnight - broiled them up a bit in the oven, then baked for a long time. Very, very good. The marinade is just lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil and Greek seasoning.

Here's a link to the recipe:

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2...w-low-carb.html

#45   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 09:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Bless you, I love greek marinades.