Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 13:29

Plan: Lowcarb
Stats: 283/279/190 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 4%

has anyone tried to freeze it.. i know with the recipe at lindas at the end it says once thawed it will have a curdled texture.. but she never actually comes out and says she froze it... might make another batch to freeze...
it ONLY turns out right when i make half a batch at a time..
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 14:11

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I made mine the night before Thanksgiving to have with Thanksgiving dinner. What I did was cook it all the way to the point of before you add the cream/water. The next day, I took it out of the fridge, let it come back to a simmer and then added the cream to it and let it cook awhile longer.

I think the reason why it curdles is because of the cream. If you freeze it without the cream and then add it later, I think it should be fine.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 22:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyKit
has anyone tried to freeze it.. i know with the recipe at lindas at the end it says once thawed it will have a curdled texture.. but she never actually comes out and says she froze it... might make another batch to freeze...
it ONLY turns out right when i make half a batch at a time..

Yes, you can freeze it, just follow the instructions for reheating.

You can also, as pointed out, leave out the cream for when you do defrost it; it will work either way...just don't forget the cream.

#34   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 06:44

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

When I reheated mine the following day, I didn't even add the extra water you're suppose to add with the cream. I just bought it up to a simmer for a few minutes and then eye-balled as I poured in the cream. I thought the water might take away from the flavoring and you already have 4 cups of chicken broth in there. I guess I used anywhere between 1/4 - 1/2 cup of cream. Once it was the texture and color I was satisfied with, I stopped pouring and let it simmer for a few more minutes.

I actually just made another pot of it because the b/f told me yesterday "anytime you want to make that pumpkin soup again, I'll be more than happy to eat it because it was delicious". He kind of hinted the other day he might stop by on Tuesday but even if he doesn't, I'll freeze some for the next time he comes over.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 23:33

BF:

ok so here is my question.. on lindas site it says that this is not induction friendly.... and i was wondering why that is....im trying to stay at induction levels..
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 13:28

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
ok so here is my question.. on lindas site it says that this is not induction friendly.... and i was wondering why that is....im trying to stay at induction levels..

For the recipe I vouched for (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_sausage_soup.html), she said "Surprisingly the carbs are very low considering that there's a whole can of pumpkin in it." So, I'm not sure what you mean, or maybe you're talking about a different recipe. This recipe has 6 carbs per serving, so I'd say induction friendly. Only thing is don't drain the fat and the flavor will be wonderful, or at least don't drain all the fat.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 14:37

BF:

thats the recipe i use but she puts stars by everything on the list that is induction friendly and that one doesnt have a star.. maybe she just missed it?
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 15:47

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
thats the recipe i use but she puts stars by everything on the list that is induction friendly and that one doesnt have a star.. maybe she just missed it?

Heck, I never noticed her star system thingie. Nothing gets by me, eh..