Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 12:06

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMary
LessLiz: I did not know that romaine had sugar in it. Why then do you know that Dr. Atkins says it's ok on Induction? Am I not thinking correctly? I guess I am just surprised about it all. Still yet, I love my romaine so I'm keeping it. Better to eat that than any heavy carb right? Thanks for the information.

Please understand the difference between sugars/carbs that occur naturally in low carb foods, and sugars/carbs that are added to foods.

The ones that occur naturally are not added by the manufacturer/processor to preserve them, or make them taste better.

For instance, 100 g of a raw tomato will have 4 g of naturally occuring carbs, 3 of which are naturally occuring sugars.

On the other hand, most manufacturers of spaghetti sauce add sugar, corn syrup or HFCS when they make their spaghetti sauce.

To find out how many grams of carbs or sugars there are in any product, you can look at the nutrition facts on the label. But to know whether any (or even all) of that sugar has been added to the product, you need to read the list of ingredients.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 13:16
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is such a good discussion group! I had never heard od sugar in salt. That is amazing and I will now contact Morton to ask a bunch of questions. I do consider the natural sugar content in the veggies... the ones that are high natural sugars are the ones that Atkins has later on in the plan and ladder. I use potassium products instead of sodium salt... I wonder what is in there!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 14:55
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

There is less dextrose in Morton Salt than there is calcium silicate. There isn't even enough calcium in it to list a %, which means there is danged little -- under 5mg.

This is really not something to be worried about.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 16:05
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
There is less dextrose in Morton Salt than there is calcium silicate. There isn't even enough calcium in it to list a %, which means there is danged little -- under 5mg.

This is really not something to be worried about.

Not worried . I research everything and then decide how it affects me. I am actually more concerned about the general effect of sodium .

I do find it amazing how many ingredients are hidden in products!
I love to learn and do so much of it right here

Hope you all have a great weekend
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 04:34

Plan: Atkins/lc
Stats: 152/150/130 Female 65
BF:Bad winters
Progress: 9%

I've now been looking harder at the products I thought I "knew" about because that romaine is still killin me. Good explanations from this thread.

My salad dressing has sugar ADDED. Like 1g. It's the Marzetti brand Bleu Cheese. Not going to make my own so does any one know if this product with only the 1g will affect me much? Seems a silly question but now I am wondering.

I'll be taking a closer look at INGREDIENTS in the future.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 07:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I've now been looking harder at the products I thought I "knew" about because that romaine is still killin me. Good explanations from this thread.

My salad dressing has sugar ADDED. Like 1g. It's the Marzetti brand Bleu Cheese. Not going to make my own so does any one know if this product with only the 1g will affect me much? Seems a silly question but now I am wondering.

I'll be taking a closer look at INGREDIENTS in the future.

Hi MissMary, personally I stay away from added sugars as much as possible. The Atkins rule is ( something like)that the dressing is to be less than 2 carbs for a serving. I wish I had the book handy! But I use the ceasar dressings which seem to have that in check... Also, if the sugar is 3 or more ingredients down on the list it is ok. Like everything else, moderation is the key
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 09:44

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Real cream

I buy cream cream from a local farmer's market--from grass-fed cows--nothing added and DELICIOUS!

ElleH - what exactly is "Optimal Atkins Power?" Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Somewhere I lived, I think I remember seeing Sealtest heavy cream was pure cream. If anyone has that where they live.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

That dressing won't cause you a problem, but honestly blue cheese dressing is the easiest and fastest to make, not to mention tasting 1000 times better than anything you buy. It's the only dressing I bother to make from scratch.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 13:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesimply
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=4][COLOR=Navy]I buy cream cream from a local farmer's market--from grass-fed cows--nothing added and DELICIOUS!

OH how I miss those days! We have been considering getting a few head of cattle here but the hassel of calving just for fresh milk.... ??? jury is still out on that vote! But you are so lucky!
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 16:57
OWL More Veggies

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesimply
I buy cream cream from a local farmer's market--from grass-fed cows--nothing added and DELICIOUS!

ElleH - what exactly is "Optimal Atkins Power?" Thanks!

I wanna be your neighbor. Boy we have two farmers markets in the area and none of them sell fresh milk or cream.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 07:18

Cricket56: Thanks for your insights. I will look into making my own bleu cheese and for now not eat any of the store bought kind. I am busy today but will look around for the recipe for the dressing. My goodness but there is so much hidden sugar in our lives! Makes me leery and now I am just going to shop the edges of the store!
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 07:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Cricket56: Thanks for your insights. .... My goodness but there is so much hidden sugar in our lives! Makes me leery and now I am just going to shop the edges of the store!

Hi MissMary... it gets even more frustrating when you look at the ingredients for pills and capsules! when I read on many lables that the capsules were made from shellac and why on earth does a laxative tablet have to have sugar in it is beyond me!
BTW... the bleu cheese cudos go to LIZ ( sorry if I do not have the exact screen name but if I go back to check it, I'll lose all this! ..just not very edept at this I guess) IF you haven't made Oopsies yet, they are a grand addition to your menue!
have a rainbow filled day
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 12:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakdryad
These days it's nearly impossible to find *pure* heavy cream. Just about every commercial variety I've seen in U.S. grocery stores has additives...usually carageenan and polysorbate 80 (or something like that)...even the stuff they call *old fashioned.* Excuse me, my grandmother got REAL cream, JUST cream from the dairy, no carageenan at all.

I know what you mean; I've bought several brands at the supermarket that are very thin in texture and don't taste very good.

Best cream if you can find it in your area is Organic Valley (company is based in the Upper Midwest but I think their distribution is widening quite a bit). Their cream has no additives, it's really rich, and tastes wonderful.

I've found that if I take it out of the fridge and keep at room temperature for a few hours, then simply shake the carton for a minute or so, it turns into a texture nearly like whipped cream (though not as frothy); more like a creme fraiche. But once it's whipped like that, turns to butter in the coffee which I don't care for; but excellent on roast veggies, meats, etc.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 12:48
Registered Member

BF:

[QUOTE=SylvieK]
Best cream if you can find it in your area is Organic Valley (company is based in the Upper Midwest but I think their distribution is widening quite a bit). Their cream has no additives, it's really rich, and tastes wonderful. QUOTE]
SylvieK, hi and thanks for that info. I will look for it in the store. There is only a WinnDixie and a Walmart here... well, there is also PiggleyWiggley ( )
I think that when my daughter mves here I will get that cow after all!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 17:11

Oh boy, checking and re-checking EVERY THING. Guess I did some good and some bad! Man, who would think we have been mindlessly eating these horrid additives! Shellac? Names that I can't pronounce now I just move away from! They scare me!

I am sharing this info with family and some non LC friends!