Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Surely a smart person also realizes that no pill eliminates 10% of all fat irrespective of fat intake. If you want to lose 10% of the fat the smart thing to do is to not eat it to begin. I'm pretty dumb but that makes sense to me.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
If you want to lose 10% of the fat the smart thing to do is to not eat it to begin.

Aww man! Liz! Did you read my post before I edited it out???

Oh well. It sounds better coming from you!

Last edited by ElleH : Thu, Nov-15-07 at 18:06.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 17:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wectmall
No, I am not missing the point---the fat is good!!! OF course---I am getting 90% fat with 10% eliminated. Totally get it! fat is good, carbs are bad---10% less of 100% should be helping the total program.

I was hoping to hear from people that have used alli while doing low carb...

Please don't underestimate my intelligence!
Thanks

I will ask you again...have you read the Atkins book yet?

Your level of intelligence has nothing to do with your common sense and how you apply it.

Have you read what Alli says you should be eating while taking it?

All carbs are not bad....veggies are carbs and they are the good carbs....processed carbs are the problem so please be specific.

Maybe you should go to an Alli board and ask them what they eat.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 17:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

From the Alli site:

http://www.myalli.com/whatisalli/commonquestions.aspx

Quote:
how do I know if alli is appropriate for my current weight and height?
To see if alli capsules are right for you, find your height on the chart to the right. You should only start a weight loss program with alli if your weight is the same or more than the weight shown for your height.

for a 5'2" person , weight needs to be at least 147 lbs for Alli to be effective....this is from their height/weight chart.

At 122 lbs, you are not in their target zone.

Here is a link to their message board:
http://community.myalli.com/Forums/Default.aspx
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 18:10
Registered Member

Judy, you're good. Thanks!

Nothing says it better than the manufacturer itself, huh?
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 07:37

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 240.4/194/165 Female 5'6" - large frame
BF:soft/round/cuddly
Progress: 62%

I'm not sure I understand why so many feel the need to knock this woman down for "going out on a limb" and trying to find out what "works for her". We have ALL done that and still do. In the steadfast "low-fatter's" eyes, Atkins is pure nonsense. Everyone here knows learning how to take back control of their eating, their LIVES, is an individual and personal process. I was under the impression the poster was asking for feedback from Atkins-Alli users, not crushing criticism for the personal choices she's made from opinionated nay-sayers. I think it's fantastic when we embrace an idea or concept that has resulted in so much benefit to us, but I have never felt comfortable with the "zealousness" that overcomes so many to the point that they constantly feel the need to force their views on others.

Case-in-point..........my father wrote me the other day to tell me that he's worried about my daughter, worried that because we don't attend service each Sunday that she won't be "treated the same in God's eyes", or some such nonsense. His words:
"I want her to be blessed Cece, protected by God in all that she does and wherever she goes. I want her to be safe and well adjusted. That's impossible to do without having God in your life."
Ridiculous to make such statements, in my opinion. To think for a second that God would love her less, refuse her protection or blessings because she has not been "saved" or does not praise Him or honor Him in some silly room man made. This coming from a man who spent years fornicating with his secretary, bought her a $250k house behind our backs, finally left my mom and married here after being "found out" and now spends every spare moment investing all his time and energy into God in hopes of His forgiveness, when the God I know forgave him as soon as he was repentant.

Wow...........back to therapy for me. Man am I still angry.

C
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Aww man! Liz! Did you read my post before I edited it out???

Oh well. It sounds better coming from you!
You just say that because this way I am the meanie bug, not you!
Quote:
Maybe you should go to an Alli board and ask them what they eat. [img]images/smilies/icon3.gif[/img]
That is very good advice, Judy, especially with the info about the target market.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 10:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 122.6/118.8/105 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 22%

thanks to everyone who understood what I was asking other posters about and for not jumping down my throat.

I have read Atkins book--both the 1972 edition and the most recent edition. I have also read sugar busters and protein power.

For someone to tell me not to eat fat---my goodness, they must not have read the books, b/c that is what we are told to do---eat fat to burn fat!

Anyway, I hope everyone here is able to lose the weight they want. That's my intention. I wasn't looking to find people's opinions that haven't tried the combination----I know that everyone has an opinion---that's a good thing---however, my interest was with those that have actually tried this......I am certain that I could find fault with many of the things others do here---but, I would never do that b/c I believe in "to each his own"

I appreciate the poster who said for a person of my height, I would not benefit from alli----and yes, I have been to their message boards---the people there are doing low fat/low calorie---as per the manufacturer's instructions. Yet, as another poster pointed out---if you are doing low calorie/low fat you "should" be able to lose weight on your own. Same goes for low carb---you "should" be able to lose weight on your own with no other help ---that's exactly what I am interested in---will alli speed up your weight loss when doing low carb.......Usually, with atkins, I can lose 1-2 pounds every 1-2 wks----so, if I could lose 2 pounds every week that would be wonderful......If a person of my height and weight cannot lose being on alli---there is really no point to me wasting the money.

A good month's trial should answer that for me---so far, no "treatment effects" and only one pound lost---during induction.

Hope everyone is doing great----and stops the "attack" mode---for those that understand my position--thank you and I greatly appreciate it~!
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 12:32

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

I LOVE MY FAT TOO MUCH!!!! My fat intake that is - butter, dressing, mayo, heavy cream - why would I take something that says to reduce fat???? Fat is what keeps me full and helps me drop the weight.

Also the warning about what could happen if I ate too much fat YUCK!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 13:13
Registered Member

Quote:
Has anyone used alli while on atkins or any low carb plan? I was just wondering if this would help things along. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Just wanted to take a moment to remind of you of the OP. The part I put in bold was what led me to answer. It certainly appeared to me that you were open to honest feedback. Had I known you only wanted to hear from those who had tried it (or only those who would support you in it), I never would have answered. Sorry about that and that is my bad.

Maybe, like your thread about "only for those who weigh," if you only want to hear from certain folks, let us know that up front?
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 13:01
Quilting Lover

Stats: 235/215/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadaza
Anal leakage is the perfect term, for alli this is the worse to ever take. I took it for 2 weeks and I was unable to go anywhere with out making sure I was padded in the area where the sun don't shine. It was even hard to be intimate with my spouse. You have no control over the leakage it took for ever it seem like to get out of my system and I sold the bottle to a co-worker for 3cents.

ANAL LEAKAGE: Well there is a reason to NOT take it!

I would rather be fat and with out anal leakage than skinny with anal leakage.
What a humiliating side effect!
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 13:20

Stats: 122.6/118.8/105 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 22%

I am doing great everyone. Only down a pound so far....No great difference than what usually happens to me following atkins.....so, I do not think the alli is helping me lose anything extra.

It hasn't created any "leakage" problems or treatment effects, but, I don't think it is helping me lose any faster/

It is definitely a drain to your wallet---especially if it is not helping me along with the weight loss.

I will keep you all posted!
Thanks for the positive input and responses. Positive vibes to everyone---I know we all need it. I try not to focus on the negative stuff--negative energy is not good for anyone!!!!

Last edited by wectmall : Sat, Nov-17-07 at 13:21. Reason: mistake
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 13:25
Quilting Lover

Stats: 235/215/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question

Do you have a hormonal problem?

I really REFUSE to believe Atkins dont work for people and lose one pound during induction. Unless they were not doing it right!

However I am thinking you have some "internal" hormonal disorder like me.
Have you been to a doctor?
Quote:
I am doing great everyone. Only down a pound so far....No great difference than what usually happens to me following atkins.....so, I do not think the alli is helping me lose anything extra.

It hasn't created any "leakage" problems or treatment effects, but, I don't think it is helping me lose any faster/

It is definitely a drain to your wallet---especially if it is not helping me along with the weight loss.

I will keep you all posted!
Thanks for the positive input and responses. Positive vibes to everyone---I know we all need it. I try not to focus on the negative stuff--negative energy is not good for anyone!!!!
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 13:55
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

So if my understanding is correct, you understand the importance of eating fat, so therefore your goal in adding Alli to Atkins is to reduce your caloric intake by eliminating 10% of the fat you eat, since fat is the highest in calories.

Aren't you worried that you may not be teaching yourself how to eat to maintain your weight loss? I do assume you don't plan to stay on Alli forever. What happens when you stop taking it?

Just some food for thought.

I've lost 150 pounds twice before and put it all back on. This trip, my philosophy from day 1 has been, I am not willing to do anything to lose the weight that I'm not willing to make into a permanent lifestyle change.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 16:01

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

WOW ok, i just read all that and all i can say is that a lot of people are really rude for no freaking reason. I am so glad i did not post on here the other things i chose to do during my atkins breaks or my experiments. Really you guys are absolutley no better than the people who lecture low carbers on how they will die of a fat induced heart attack.

And as a side note, atkins doesnt work for everyone. Some people do gain weight when eating high calorie and I know one such person and yes, i know exactly what that person ate day in and day out b/c they are in my house and i made their food.