Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 270/242.00/142
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default feeling poorly

too much has happened to post here.
Never got to NY need to plan a trip.
sent pictures via shutterfly.com and hope they come thru.
All you guys who have a digital camera, shutterfly is great for sharing pictures.
will explore that further.
So busy wallowing in pain and embarassment.
will catch up with you latter anne
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 07:54

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Tuesday's at the Gym

First time at the gym for over a fortnight. My heart monitor arrived today - after the first one got lost in the post. I discovered that my resting heart rate is around 85. The watch says I should be between 114 and 149 bpm during exercise. During the session my maximum heart rate was 131 bpm. I was in the zone for about 30 minutes. I apparently used 308 kcal. I got on better than I expected, after the break, but did less on the treadmill at the end as my left hamstring began to tighten.

Treadmill - 10 minutes at 3.5 kph and 2% gradient
Abductor machine did 16 reps, twice, at 25 kg
Using a body pump bar did:
16 reps twice of upright row at 7 Kg
16 reps twice of bicep curls at 10 Kg
16 reps twice of chest flies at 12 kg
16 reps twice of bench press at 12 kg
3 minutes on the rotex at level 2 with speed of between 100 -110
15 vacuum holds
Two sets of 16 dorsal leg raises on each leg - 64 in total
Treadmill - 5 minutes at 3.0 kph and 4% gradient.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 15:54
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up at last a loss verified

Hello Anne:

I'm jealous, the workouts sound really great. keep it up.
After all the problems at the Dr's office, I spent some hours at Barn's and Nobel and found four or five books that I must read.
Swarzbein Principal can not be ordered at my Barn's and Nobel for some reason {I may only get the old one.} Dr. Atkins has a newer book out also which I thought carried some additional information to what he already had addressed.
I did get Swarzbein's cookbook, because I adhere to her priciples of eating only real food and eliminating created food like margarine. I adhere to the principle of using the purest and finest virgin first pressed olive oil as if it were medicine. I used to have in my pantry walnut oil and grape seed oil, but decided the Olive oil is the best, in conjuction with fish oils or omega three capsules.

That was not always the cse, but I seem to be getting really great healthy Cholesterol readings and I can only hope it's the oils and the reduced sugar intake that is helping me.

I have been trying to get more info on gout, diabetes, and arthritis. If you know of any reliable sources, clue me in. I'm trying to get info from Mayo Clinic and the medical journals.

Today is a up day. Hope it is for you guys also.
on the internet.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 02:10

Arrow Body Pump

Thursday evening and a body pump session. It was OK, but the lass who normally takes the session was on holiday. A rather camp Luke stood in for her. Can't say I liked his style and some of the exercises he did were for the more flexible person. Certainly not for someone who has a metal rod attached to thier spine.

Wore the heart monitor, but the exercise did not take me into the zone at all - ie over 114 bpm. Average heart rate for the hour was 97 bpm and this gave a calorie count of 103. Don't think I'll wear the heart monitor for body pump again.

A reasonably enjoyable session, but I hope Julia is back next week.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 06:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/196/169
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Ann

Saw you had put an entry here, and thought I would visit....

I also go to a Dragon's - in Epsom. I have had a brief whoosh through your exercise logs and you are making great progress. I have a friend at the gym who is just under 5' and she found the aqua classes just too difficult, our pool is 1.3m deep. I like the Boyancy Belt Workout - do you have that? you stay suspended in the water which might be easier for you - i have tho opposite problem to you in that my toes want to scrape on the bottom but it just makes me work harder. also it puts no pressure on the joints which is wonderful for my knees.

I have wondered about the body pump but am concerned for those old knees of mine, and i have recently changed my gym programme to cut down on the muscle building on my thighs. Must go, just remembered I am supposed to be going to the gym....

catch ya later

Emma
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 10:54

Default Saturday and Aquafit

Had a great aquafit session this morning. The water was a bit higher than last week which made it a bit more difficult. In the shallow end the water comes just above my shoulders.

During the afternoon my left hamstring began to play up, so must have stretched it doing something or other. Wonder what is up with it as it ached a lot after I did gardening last Sunday.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 15:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default hello to you ladies in the UK

Hi Emma and Anne:
I guess the Dragon must be a gym, although I was n't quite sure.

At my summer home in Cooperstown we have the Dragoons and it is a hang out for guys and gals that want to catch up on chit chat.
{too young for me}
The swiming pool is fine now, and the grand kids went into the heated part for now even though the outdoor temperature is in the 80's.
Jujubaby, went in with a small blow up boat,but wanted to be free of daddy's grasp. She is only ten months and swallowed several gulps.
It's also looking to storm, so this is the end of the weekend,

phyllis
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 01:42

Thumbs up

Well its a week since I went to the gym, although I have been to body pump and aqua fit. Was not enthuiastic about going, but felt a lot better afterwards. Heart monitor said I was in the zone for 34 mins of 64 mins exercise and my highest heart rate was 130 bpm. Used 379 kcal. My left hamstring was playing up again towards the end, but found that I could do the treadmill if I took out the gradient - interesting!

Treadmill - 10 minutes at 3.5 kph and 3% gradient - 1% increase
Abductor machine did 16 reps, twice, at 25 kg
5 minutes on the rotex at level 2 with speed of between 90 -100
15 vacuum holds
Treadmill - 15 minutes at 3.0 kph and no gradient.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 02:37

Default Body Pump

Another Thursday evening and another body pump session. I'm glad Julia, our normal session leader was back. The session was much better. Certainly worked some muscles really hard and ached afterwards. A good session.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 01:52

Thumbs up Tuesday at the Gym

Well with no aquafit last Saturday and gardening all weekend I was not to bothered about going to the gym today. Shows how wrong you can be as I had more energy and did more than I have for a long time!!
At the end of the rotex and final treadmill run I upt the pace for the last minute and really got the legs and heart working, pushing it up from 132 to 140. Used 473 calories.

Treadmill - 10 minutes at 3.5 kph and 3% gradient
Abductor machine did 16 reps, twice, at 30 kg - up 5 Kg
5 minutes on the rotex at level 2 with speed of between 90 -100
15 vacuum holds
Treadmill - 15 minutes at 3.0 kph and 4% gradient.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 14:48

Default Body Pump

Another Thursday evening and another body pump session. The session was much better. Certainly worked some muscles really hard and ached afterwards. A good session. Wore my heart monitor. Only just got into the zone, 114 bpm, once for one second, but its not about increasing your cv stuff, just muscle toning. Watch suggested I used 136 calories. Thats more than I did two weeks ago with Luke. Not surprised at that. Booked in for next week.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 01:52

Default Saturday

Aqua fit this morning. Had an interesting session which included, for the first time, the use of aqua dumb bells. It certainly works the arm muscles and a couple of the exercises you could really feel the pull in the abdomen. A good session.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 08:39

Exclamation Tuesday at the Gym

As last Tuesday I was not enthuiastic about going to the gym, but pushed myself, however I came home after 45 minutes feeling exhaused and wanting to sleep. Wonder if I'm sickening for something? Heart monitor said I was in the zone for just 15 mins of 45 mins exercise. Used 244 kcal.

Treadmill - 10 minutes at 3.5 kph and 3% gradient
Abductor machine did 16 reps, twice, at 30kg
15 vacuum holds
  #44   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 16:53
Registered Member

BF:
Default take care

Hi Anne: I just got back on line after going into the spa and exercising for almost 45 min. I saw you doing it and wondered what was wrong with me trying it also. especially that I make all the payments on the pool and heater!
The outside temp is at least 90 and of course cooling down now {it's 5:31pm Wed.}

The biggest thing I feel is that while in the water I was able to do all kinds of kicking etc.but when it came time to come out, I was stunned how difficult it felt to lift my weight out of the spa!

I tried to email you but couldn't get through. So I thought I would answer you here since this came up first.

My younger brother just went to Mt Siani hopsital for his 8th angiogram and I was very worried about him. He has had 2 by pass operations with a heart attack when he was only 46. He lives with pain and discomfort all the time. He is just 68 now and I hope the stent they put in gives him some better years left.
This is a man who was a weight lifter, health nut, woodsman, hiker etc.
Not heavy at all with a 34 waistline. But he has been on a no no fat diet siince he was 46 and he looks unhealthy. I want to advise him to eat more balanced way of eating and not to eliminate all fat. He will not eat eggs, nuts or avacados because he said Pritikin said no fats at all.

He is so programed that fat is the problem, giving him Dr. Schwarzbein's book would mean nothing to him. He would only skim it and call it bull. I gave him the Sugarbusters book because even that would be an improvement to what he eats now, but he merely skimmed it and gave it away.

I guess if a DR. he knows would tell him that his nutrition is bad/poor he may just adjust. But at least he has another chance for how long is anybody's guess.

Of course he rattles me because of my weight saying, if the people in the concentration camps lost weight by not eating you could too!! I find that comment horrid!!
Last time I spoke to him, he said give it up. {trying to eat properly and lose weight.}
But I am more renewed now because, I must eat something and after reading Dr Schwarzbein's book, I want to do her healthy program. My main objective is to prevent diabetes.

I also took my BS test and found it was a little up from last nights meal. Not High, but not it's usual under 100. So After a small breakfast of cottage cheese, I took the BS again and it went unde 100. So this is my plan to eat smaller meals more often and hopefully I will get a metabolism back again.

See how you inspired me!!
write soon sweet lady.
phyllis
  #45   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 13:36

Hi Jujubaby

Hopefully you got my email, sent earlier today. I had not realised that you had posted here, not been to the gym since Tuesday as have not been fighting fit. Full details in my journal.

I agree with you about feeling heavy when you get out the pool. I dance around for my 45 minute session and then its hard work getting out. I do enjoy it and I'm off for a session tomorrow morning.

Sorry to hear about your brother, not much you can do. Glad you liked Schwazbein. Have a great weekend. Keep well and keep going in that pool.