Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:32

Plan: Ketosis
Stats: 225/225/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus
Here's what I think...if you have been doing Atkins and not losing, meaning that you are having great difficulty getting into ketosis why not do the egg yolk thing? It's not that much different than the fat fast recommended by Dr. A. I don't think it's a good idea to do it for 2 weeks but for 3 or 4 days to get into deep ketosis why not or better yet do a true fat fast. If you are doing this just for the sake of doing it without trying the true Atkins WOE then I think it's a mistake.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck

Well you see, I've actually lost considerable weight on the South Beach Diet during the first phase and during the second phase... this was last year of course and then some bad things happened... terrible things happened... really terrible things happened... and so I abandoned dieting or eating normally at least and I ate so much junk food and I binge ate sometimes that I gained it all back.

I have no trouble eating say eggs (cooked) in the morning, chicken and a salad at noon, and fish at night or having a day without bad carbs, and losing weight. I have absolutely no trouble going into ketosis; in fact I easily go into ketosis.

I'm doing the egg thing because well, unlike any other form of organized eating (or unorganized form of eating), I've gained a boost in libido and I believe my state of thought is much better than before when I eat these raw egg yolks. But I believe I will throw in some cooked steak in there.

I've told myself that I should not find happiness in food. That if I can subsist on these vanilla and almond tasting egg yolks, then I should leave myself to eating that.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:39

Plan: Atkins fatfast->induction
Stats: 147/145/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 9%

#33   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyolk
People, I have a much clearer mind and I've received a huge boost in libido; what is your opinion of that?
C'mon, now, be honest. Yer just here trying to pick up chicks.

/jk
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:44

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:

You know. A lot of people on this board will tell you that if something makes you feel good then you should do it. For example, I think we are mostly all in agreement that Low Carbing makes us feel BETTER physically and mentally and we all know that the rest of the general public is seriously uneducated about lowcarb. Yes, eating 9 raw eggs is very low in calories and eggyolk very well could begin to gain weight after adding in other foods after the 2 weeks, but if it makes him feel good, physically and mentally, then why knock him down? If during the 2 weeks, he feels weak or his body is yearning for more food, I think he'll eat more food. Its all about listening to your body as you do this, and I think that is what eggyolk is doing. Listening to his body.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:46

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee
C'mon, now, be honest. Yer just here trying to pick up chicks.
/jk

oi, girl... give us a spew warning before you do that!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:49

Plan: Atkins/Callanetics
Stats: 168/157/110 Female 5'2"
BF:Sz16/sz14/sz6
Progress: 19%

Quote:
You don't die from salmonella... it is something that is rarely every caught and it only affects children, HIV victims, and the elderly seriously.

I dare you to try telling that to the families of the people who have.

Look honey, if you want to try some kookie egg yolk diet, go for it! But I certainly don't understand why you posted about it if you weren't ready for whatever responses you might get.

This is an Atkins board, where serious low carbers support each other. It's difficult to support things that are based on a whim--especially when someone proposes to do such a seemingly insane thing for a 2-week period.

Ya wanna risk your health or possibly even your life? No one here can stop you. I just don't understand why you don't do ATKINS. I'm doing Atkins and I have both the benefits you've mentioned, plus others, AND I'm losing weight! JMO
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:49

BF:

Quote:
I've told myself that I should not find happiness in food. That if I can subsist on these vanilla and almond tasting egg yolks, then I should leave myself to eating that.

Darlin, your increased libido isn't gonna do ya much good if all you're eatin is egg yolks.

Your breath's gonna be bad, and dinner dates will be baad news...

Seriously, I see nothing wrong with your trying it for a week, if you can stomach it (*shudder*) but I'm a little concerned about your motivations.

Also, I think eggs are something you can develop an allergy to if you eat too many, and it would truly suck to have an egg allergy if you decide to do Atkins.

No revolution rolls, or mock danishes... Horrors!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
oi, girl... give us a spew warning before you do that!

Sorry sorry.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 16:53

Plan: Ketosis
Stats: 225/225/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

Okay, I will cut this thing down to one week but if I feel great I will continue to two weeks.

However, if I do return to eating normally that is I decide to do Atkins, I'll still have at the very least three raw egg yolks.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 17:21
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I am concerned that 9 egg yolks are not enough to sustain a person. I mean you should at least have a dozen a day and then eat some sashimi. I would be curious to see how it turns out.

BTW: I prefer to eat my egg yolks in ice cream or a nice mousse :-)
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 18:19

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Eating the egg white and the sack that contains the egg yolk is equivalent to eating an ovary.

In addition to your comprehension of foodborne diseases etiology leaving something to be desired, so is your understanding of avian embryology. May I suggest you review http://www.jobird.com/eggdevel.htm?

Seriously.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 18:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

LC Books you have read:
None

I humbly suggest .

Something I don't get about the raw food theory is how cooking enzymes will denature them, but your 1 or 2 pH stomach acid won't. I don't buy it. I know there are some nutrients that are wrecked by cooking, but I think raw foodism is a red herring - the benefit comes from eating whole foods, not the fact that they're not being cooked.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Eggyolk, I'm a little appalled that if you came here and said that you were going to try high fatting with moderate protein (basically what you're doing) without listing what you were planning to eat (egg yolks), most of the people here would have been praising you for "getting it," that Atkins isn't a high protein diet! Instead you have been belittled and attacked, I feel, anyway.

I agree that the calories are too low, eggyolk, but the idea behind what you're doing (moderate protein and high fat) is scientifically sound. I never felt as good and peaceful and "clear of mind" (I'm afraid my libido still needs help however!) as when I was high-fatting with moderate protein. Even IF has not come close to that feeling of calm that I felt while HF.

Maybe after your week or 2 on it, you could expand your foods to keep the fat to protein ratios the same (or even higher, really), and add some induction-type veggies? You'll find that you feel just as good, but will have more nutrients added from the veggies.

#44   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 19:34

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Yes that's true but the quantity in the egg white is not that much greater than what is found in the egg yolk. And the egg yolk is where the majority of the nutrients are. What does the egg white have that the egg yolk does not? Estrogen (when it's uncooked at least).

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

The egg white has 3.4 grams of protein each and the yolk has 2.8. You would get 30.6 more grams of protein if you ate the 9 egg whites and would only get 2.7 more grams of carbs and 126 more calories--a lot of bang per egg white.

As it is, you will be getting 2.7 grams of carbs, 46.8 grams of fat, 25.2 grams of protein and 549 calories. This is awfully low in protein. If you eat 9 whole eggs, you will get 55.8 grams of protein--a much better level.

It's only two weeks--I'm sure you won't die from it. Have fun!

Sunny!
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 21:07

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Hello everyone, not sure if this belongs in this forum but...

I will be eating nine egg yolks each day for the next two weeks. Each morning I will take a centrum multivitamin, and I will consume at the very least eight glasses of water each day. Why will I eat the egg yolks raw? Well because protein is best consumed when it is raw because of the enzymes that are in it which help digestion.

Now salmonella as a threat is greatly exaggerated (1 in 30,000 eggs is contaminated) and as many people around here agree, cholesterol is not a bad thing. Can anyone see anything wrong with what I will be doing (without justifying eating other foods simply because they love their taste)?

I did this for two days and I got out of it what I have never gotten out of any other diet (my regular unorganized diet which consists of eating carelessly and eating out once in awhile, and the South Beach Diet): an extremely clear mind with a gigantic boost in creativity and my libido received a large boost.

what?! Are you crazy?!? That's a great way spending a week throwing up if you get one egg with a hint of salmonella.

You do know there are more effeciant ways of getting protein rather than eating raw eggs, right? Also, eggs yolks are much higher in fat than protein. Also, 9 egg yolks will kill your metabolism as your body will go into starvation mode.

If you wanna eat raw yolks, then go right ahead, but I urge the other readers do not do this. It's a bad practice.

Last edited by Rkhinman : Mon, Aug-06-07 at 21:13.