Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-06, 10:29

Plan: Atkins/Callanetics
Stats: 168/157/110 Female 5'2"
BF:Sz16/sz14/sz6
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
I have also found that straight coconut oil doesn't work well in shakes. Even if you start with it melted, it chills quickly and you get granules, which give your shake a nasty texture.

What I do is melt my coconut oil, then add it to 1-2 tsps of another fat, either melted unsalted butter, or something tasty like almond or hazelnut oil, then pour it into my shake with the blender going. I've had great results with that. It's my new favorite breakfast.

Bat Spit, Thanks SO much for this info! I was adding it by itself and just dealing with the texture problem........so nice to know there's a way to eliminate it!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 04:29

Plan: Slimfast
Stats: 216/184/174 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:
Smile

At present my only knowledge of coconut oil is through the postings on this forum.

Some post seem to suggest it is solid at normal room temperature and others that it is liquid to to be taken in tablespoonsful.

Are there different forms of coconut oil and if so do they all confer the same benefits?

Has anyone taking coconut oil regularly monitored its effect in terms of lowering cholesterol, reducing LDLs, increasing HDL's, weight loss etc?

Has anyone found any additional benefits?
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 06:12

Plan: Atkins/Callanetics
Stats: 168/157/110 Female 5'2"
BF:Sz16/sz14/sz6
Progress: 19%

Coconut oil is solid up to about 80 degrees and then it becomes liquid.

The best kind to use is organic virgin coconut oil, but it does have a coconut flavor. If you want to use some without the flavor you must use the expeller pressed (I think that's what it's called) type, but I hear it doesn't have all the same health benefits of the virgin oil.

I have heard from several forum members that it DOES aid with weight loss by "revving-up" the metabolism. Several have commented on being more energetic and also of a "heated up" effect--almost like experiencing a hot flash--at least I have experienced that.

I don't know what it does in terms of cholesterol numbers.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 06:29

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Any thoughts on getting the coconut oil in capsule/pill form?

Thanks Bat Spit for the shake info, as I'd had that problem when I tried just CO only. Yuck.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 06:55

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

My pleasure. I'm not sure why I tried mixing the fats, and I'm not quite sure why it works, but I'm glad it does.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 07:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
I like to use coconut oil to fry the meat I'm using in a curry, to make coconut crusted pork/chicken, or to coat a roast, which I then season with cardamon, cinnamon, all spice and ginger.

Yum!!! I want to come to your house for dinner!!!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 09:03

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande2211
Any thoughts on getting the coconut oil in capsule/pill form?

Thanks Bat Spit for the shake info, as I'd had that problem when I tried just CO only. Yuck.

I use both the regular oil and pill form. I find it a little difficult to put in my food every day.I like it. I do not need any lab work done but I might request it at my next doctor's visit just to see what my cholesterol looks like.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 10:56

Plan: VLKD / paleo
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 176 cm
BF:lots
Progress: 0%

I think coconut oil in capsules is an extremely expensive way to take it...

dhania
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 14:30

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 137/135/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:Don't know
Progress: 29%
Default Coconut oil and hot tea

I'm fortunate that I'm a hot tea drinker, even in hot weather (must be Mum's British background). I had real problems gagging down tablespoons of coconut oil - even mixing it with cocoa powder and Splenda did not help the sick feeling afterwards - but tried stirring it in hot tea - it kinda separates, but I stir it up then sip, stir, then sip, stir, then sip etc. and it goes down great. I'm up to two per day and would like to get to three as recommended. By the way, the little bit of oil that's on the tablespoon gets rubbed into my elbows and knees! What a difference this makes on my poor old dry spots!
Question: this oil is quite caloric. Should I be reducing my other oils to accommodate this? Or because it's just so darned good for me should I keep it as an "add-on" and not worry about the cals? I know we're not really supposed to count much, but let's face it most of us do
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 15:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsgal
I'm fortunate that I'm a hot tea drinker, even in hot weather (must be Mum's British background). I had real problems gagging down tablespoons of coconut oil - even mixing it with cocoa powder and Splenda did not help the sick feeling afterwards - but tried stirring it in hot tea - it kinda separates, but I stir it up then sip, stir, then sip, stir, then sip etc. and it goes down great. I'm up to two per day and would like to get to three as recommended. By the way, the little bit of oil that's on the tablespoon gets rubbed into my elbows and knees! What a difference this makes on my poor old dry spots!
Question: this oil is quite caloric. Should I be reducing my other oils to accommodate this? Or because it's just so darned good for me should I keep it as an "add-on" and not worry about the cals? I know we're not really supposed to count much, but let's face it most of us do

According to what I have read, coconut oil isn't stored like other fats. I have not changed my fat intake and I have lost weight while taking it.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 16:02

All this coconut oil talk has gotten me SO in the mood to start eating coconut bark again! I've now got a batch of candy hardening in the freezer. Three of those a day and I've got my 3 tablespoons easily eaten!

I'm in maintenance and have been at this weight for months with very little fluctuation. It will be interesting to see if I actually start to lose weight again if I add in the 3 tabl./day of coconut oil.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Here is an interesting article on the research on coconut oil. Towards the end of the article, about 6 paragraphs from the end., it says that 3 1/2 tablespoons is what we should consume. It also states that coconut oil is not stored in the body like other fats.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm

I see this dosage is recommended for nursing mothers but I have seen this amount recommended in other articles. However, the entire article is eye opening.

I finally got around to reading this article. VERY interesting- the best online article about coconut oil I've seen. Thanks for posting it.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 09:28

BF:

I am glad you had a chance to read it. I posted this on other forums that I visit.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
It is also good for wrinkles so basically it is the Fountain of Youth that Marco Polo was searching for...It was Marco Polo wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awordqueen
Actually, it was Ponce de Leon..........

I had to laugh over this! In searching through the coconut info site that Black57 mentioned, I found a link to this reference article that mentiones Marco Polo and the coconut!

In 1280 Marco Polo, described coconut growing in Sumatra, as well as in Madras and Malabar in India, calling it nux indica, the Indian nut.

Debbie
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 16:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
I had to laugh over this! In searching through the coconut info site that Black57 mentioned, I found a link to this reference article that mentiones Marco Polo and the coconut!

In 1280 Marco Polo, described coconut growing in Sumatra, as well as in Madras and Malabar in India, calling it nux indica, the Indian nut.

Debbie

It's all good!