Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-05, 23:54
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Is your about the difference in gluten sensitive celiac genes and the gluten sensitive genes? I think their saying the DNA sequences that code for celiac are inherited and environmental factors cause you to make more antibodies. But you can also have acquired gluten sensitivity due to damage to the intestines not involving the same genes as celiac disease.

One of those celiac sites you gave above says this:
Celiac disease is the result of genetic and environmental factors. We now know two HLA markers (DQ2 and DQ8) for the predisposition for celiac disease2. One environmental factor is, of course, the consumption of gluten, but there may be other environmental contributors.

On the other hand, gluten sensitivity is characterized by antigliadin antibodies. This condition afflicts at least 12% of the general population4 and is found in patients with a wide variety of autoimmune diseases. These patients are mounting an immune response to the most common food in the western diet. This is particularly unfortunate since a strict gluten-free diet has repeatedly proven helpful to patients who are fortunate enough to consult a practitioner who is versed in gluten sensitivity and its connection with autoimmunity.

Untreated celiac disease carries an added risk for a wide variety of additional autoimmune diseases. The most likely cause of this predisposition to additional autoimmune disease is a condition sometimes referred to as ‘leaky gut syndrome.’ We know that gluten causes intestinal damage. We also know that this damage allows large undigested and partly digested proteins to leak into the bloodstream through the damaged intestinal wall. This leakage results in immune system production of antibodies to attack these foreign proteins as if they were invading microbes. The result is the production of a huge variety of selective antibodies, and each type recognizes a particular short chain of amino acids located somewhere in the protein’s structure. Unfortunately, our own tissues can contain very similar or identical sequences of amino acids. Hence, by a process called molecular mimicry, we are producing antibodies that attack both the foreign food proteins that are leaked into our blood through the damaged intestinal wall, and similar amino acid sequences in our own tissues, often resulting in an autoimmune disease5.

The supposedly non-specific antigliadin antibodies in gluten sensitivity provide two important pieces of information: 1) That the intestinal wall has been damaged and is permitting leakage of food proteins into the bloodstream, and; 2) That the dynamic contributing to increased autoimmunity in celiac disease may well be an important contributing factor in gluten sensitivity5. The currently common view that celiac disease is a serious illness, while disregarding gluten sensitivity, is dangerous to gluten sensitive patients.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 02:43

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3

I'm starting to think gluten is a problem for me too. I've always had joint problems, most recently bursitis (bilateral).

I know I'm sensitive to soy, with intestinal reactions, but now I'm starting to wonder about gluten....according to some articles I've read, it can be fairly prevalent!

As of monday, Jan 3, I'm going back on strict induction and I'm going to stop all gluten products. I have noticed that when I go off plan, it's frequently wheat products.....bread, pasta, etc....and I always feel achier after. I've been saying it was simply the carbs, but now I wonder if it's the gluten!?!?!?!

Curious about the labs Nancy.....can I ask how much it cost you for the testing?
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 10:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had the full Gluten Sensitivity done at enterolab.com which includes the very expensive DNA analysis and a free casein sensitivity test. It cost $350 bucks. Those DNA tests are expensive. I figured that it would be good to know the DNA results so I could spread the news to the rest of the family.

My question about the DNA test is:

Is that looking at one gene, two copies? In other words, did one parent hand down the celiac disease and the other one gluten sensitivity? Or is that two separate genes?

Its interesting, I put the gene molecular analysis in Google and I'm hitting on that it is a gene for Type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance too. In the DG book they do mention that there's a HUGE correspondence of gluten intolerance and diabetes.

I'd bet anything I got the DQB1*0302 from Dad. He was extremely insulin resistant.

I bet that is one gene, two copies.

Cindy I posted the entire results in my Journal if you want to take a peek.

Now every time I get weird BM's I wonder if I've accidently ingested gluten.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 11:26

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

ver interesting!!

My mom just gave me a link to a relatively grainfree site...

here it is: http://www.scdrecipe.com/

it's for people with Crohn's, IBS etc.

Interestingly, when i was a child, My ENT doctor put me on a special diet free of wheat, eggs, corn, dairy, chocolate and sugar and tomatoes. I had to follow this diet for at least 3-4 years. This was related to having to have my tonsils out...never really understood why i had a special diet for tonsil issues though...
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 13:25
Registered Member

I see you what you mean. They tell how many genes you had but not how many copies of each gene. I don't know how they would be able to get that information from a DNA analysis.

Is there a molecular biologist in the house? I bet the lab could answer that question.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 13:48
Experimenter

BF:

I figured it out! It is one gene and those are my alleles. Everyone has 2 alleles, one from your Ma and one from your Pa. So I got two different alleles that predispose me to having the issue with gluten. Some people end up with the same one from both parents.

If I had a kid, I'd randomly pass one of those two alleles on to them and the sperm donor would randomly pass on the other allele.

There's lots of nasty other things associated wtih that 0302 one. :\
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 17:38
Registered Member

So your sister must have it too? Wow I want to get tested. I'm thinking of making giving up gluten my New Years resolution. Who needs it anyway!!
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 21:39

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3

That's a lot of money Nancy! But I guess if it answers your questions it's worth it!
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 23:16

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I gave up gluten about three years ago. I don't care if I have good or bad genes for it, I don't see a need for it in my diet. Just because gluten containing grains are a major part of our economy is not a reason for me to consume them. There is no health upside and numerous downsides.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-05, 09:13
Experimenter

BF:

The thing I'm having a hard time coming to grips with is giving up milk products though, I'm casein sensitive too. Urgh... I love milk products! However, that would explain why I still am not 100% in the intestinal department yet. The gluten gave me cramping and chronic poopiness but the milk stuff seems to give me either constipation or poopiness depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Its funny, I have a HUGE thing of casein protein in my pantry because it was recommended to me as a good protein source. *sigh*

I figured out the DNA thing finally. It is one gene, both copies. Imagine that Mom has her two copies of that gene and Dad has his:

Mom A - N Dad C - C

Ok, Mom has two different copies and Dad has two copies that are identical. In Dad's case there is 100% chance that all his kids will end up with a "C" as one of their copies. In Mom's case, I could get either "A" or "N".

Me N - C

If you have two copies of a gene sometimes one will predominate and the other will be inactive. Sometimes both will be inactive at least disease-wise. I don't know if both can be active. If you have two copies of the same gene you're more likely to have the disease and it is more likely to be severe.

Some genes can work together, like if a flower had a "red" copy and a "white" copy it might come out pink. It just depends on the gene I think.

I've been searching the Internet for information on those two alleles and found a lot of weird things, like one of them seems to protect me from narcolepsy and severe reactions to malaria.

Oh! If anyone is suspicious that might have gluten intolerance or if you've had a test for it and it came back negative, you might want to check this out: http://www.enterolab.com/Essay/

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Dec-30-05 at 09:52.