Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Oct-01-06, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 192/188/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up

Oh my gosh!!! This is wonderul. I made the noodles (crepes) and they were easy. I used sweet italian sausage instead of hamburg so it adds 13 more carbs for the total dish, but it was well worth it. This is so good. Great idea !!!!
Any idea if it freezes well?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: < 20 grams
Stats: 235/233/170 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 3%
Thumbs up Yummm...

made this last night, I was having a massive pasta craving......loved it....I did make a few changes...I used ground turkey instead of beef, and if I had to do it over again, probably would use a layer of zuchinni and eggplant....and a little more meat, and sauce....I'm used to my mother's 4 inch thick lasagna so.......

Also to those who worried about the "egg noodles" they weren't a problem at all...although I never got the hang of doing a whole pan so I just cut them in half right after I put the batter in had more strips like you would with a regular lasagna!

Very tasty, and two thumbs up!!! I only wish I had taken a pic of it before my fiance' and I gobbled it up!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 14:00

Plan: Atkins & SB Diet
Stats: 185/172/145 Female 5 4.5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary70
I am italian and can't stand the thought of not having pasta again. So I created my own LOW CARB Lasagna. This is TRULY low carb with fresh ingredients.
Please try it and let me know how you like it. I would love the feed back.
I made it for dinner and served it to my husband and kids and they didn't even know there were no real pasta noodles in it. I was even surprised it tasted so good. This has only 5.4 grams of carbs per huge piece. I also have a recipe for canneloni/manicotti which I will post later. Don't forget to reply with your feed back after you tried it. Thanks! Here is the recipe:

Mary’s Low Carb Lasagna

6 large eggs (3.6 grams)
6 tablespoons of water
Olive oil (0 grams)
1 lb ground beef, browned in olive oil and cooled completely (0 grams)
Salt and Pepper
1 tub ricotta cheese (12 grams)
1 large egg (0.6 grams)
1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (3 grams)
1 ½ cup marinara sauce (20 grams)
3-4 handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese (1.6 grams)
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (1.5 grams)
1-2 pats of butter

Beat six 6 eggs with 6 tablespoons water. Heat a 10” non-stick fry pan. With a small ladle pour 1/6 of your egg mixture into your fry pan. Twirl it around to coat the whole bottom. When it starts to set, watch for the egg to start pulling away from the pan. When that happens CAREFULLY pick up your egg with your fingers (it’s hot!) and flip it to the other side. This takes about 1-2 minutes on each side. It will go fast. You should end up with 6 large crepe “noodles”. Set aside in fridge.
Tip: You are basically making an egg crepe. You can make lots and freeze for future.

Brown ground beef with a splash of olive oil and salt and pepper. Drain excess fat and let cool completely. Set aside.

In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese and egg. Set aside.

Squeeze excess water from your thawed spinach. Set aside.

In bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, spread a little marinara sauce. Place 2 of your egg crepe noodles on top of the sauce, covering your baking dish. Don’t worry if it doesn’t fit completely perfect or you have to overlap it. Spread you ricotta cheese mixture on top of the crepe. Spread your spinach of top of the ricotta. Put 2 more of you egg crepe noodles on top of spinach. Spread your cooled ground beef over top. Pour a little marinara sauce over beef to moisten just a little. Put a handful of mozzarella cheese and some parmesan over the beef as well. Lay your final 2 egg crepe noodles over top and sprinkle with the leftover mozzarella and parmesan.

Cut up 1-2 pats of butter and sprinkle over top of the cheeses. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees until top is bubbling. Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes until top is brown. Let cool for 5 minutes then serve.

Carb count for whole lasagne is 43 grams. Cut into 8 huge slices and the carb count is 5.4 grams per serving. Serve with salad

Tip: Make your own marinara sauce to ensure there is no added sugar. Saute ¼ onion in a little olive oil. In a handy chopper, blend one can of whole plum tomatoes (no sugar added) (Unico brand in only 5 carbs per ½ cup). Add tomatoes to pot. Add some salt and pepper and a handful of fresh chopped parsley. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes and your done.

Can't wait to try this... Thanks Mary!!!!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 14:41

Plan: Atkins/ Celiac
Stats: 245/245/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Delicious!

Made your lasagne tonight for dinner and I have to say that it is absolutely delicious! Being a coeliac (i.e. allergic to wheat, gluten, oats and rye) I had bid goodbye to delicious Italian dishes now I can revisit them and stay on the low carb path!!

My tip for others is when making your egg crepes to cook the top of the crepe under the grill as it helps the crepe to come unstuck from the pan!

Please continue to post your delicious recipes!

Sara
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 07:17

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

This recipe sounds so good....wondering if I can roast the zuchini in the oven for quicker version and lot less work...???
  #36   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 04:40

Tried this last night with cauliflower and turned out well...although I'm up 2 pounds today .....geez I grated the cauliflower and mixed it with two eggs and 2 cups of mozzerella cheese and used that instead of noodles.... I really didn't even miss the noodles. The only thing was that I forgot to drain the cauliflower to get all of the water out and so the lasagna was a little runny but delicious!

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Wed, May-28-08 at 05:02.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 19:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

I made LC lasagna last week but whimped out and used dreamfields instead of the eggs. My sis and DW were going to eat it so I made it "Normal" for them. They were both surprised I ate noodles and I didn't tell them it was dreamfields....

But I am really aching to try your recipe!
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 20:31

The only thing I hated about it was grating the cauliflower...I'm a lazy cook lol!
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 16:14
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 125/122/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:

This sounds delicious. I'm going to try making it this weekend. I know the post is old, but I am glad I was nosey!!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-08, 17:18
fabulously me

Plan: just lowest carbs poss
Stats: 242/242/130 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 0%

i always wondered about eggplant.

and finally google imaged it and found out its an aubergine!!!

so to make the pasta bit you just slice this and fry it? bit like mousakka?
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 19:42

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_loser
i always wondered about eggplant.

and finally google imaged it and found out its an aubergine!!!

so to make the pasta bit you just slice this and fry it? bit like mousakka?

You got it!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 12:35

Plan: Atkins - now South Beach
Stats: 145.8/136.5/132.3 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 69%

I made the original posters recipe tonight and it was really really good!
I didn't taste the eggs at all.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 22:56

Stats: 195/195/150 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
You can use pan-fried eggplant slices as noodles in a lasagne. I actually think that they make the lasagne taste better than pasta does.

I have tried the lasagna using the eggplant as the pasta and it's great!!! I agree better than the original pasta version and I'm Italian.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 23:00

Stats: 195/195/150 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1272
I despise eggplant so I made this with cabbage instead. After several different attempts I found the best way is to basically julienne or shred the cabbage and steam it till its 3/4 of the way done before you layer it with the sauce, cheese, and meat. Yummy stuff!

I made cabbage as noodles today and it was delicious. I julienne choped the cabbage and sauteed with butter and added some freshly grated cheese on top. It was Fabulous. I can't wait to try it with sauce and meat. I think the secret is to make sure you cook the cabbage so it's soft.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, May-22-09, 12:00

Stats: 225/216/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Wow, long time since I posted! I love the cabbage idea and will try it. I made lasagne using zucchini cut in long, flat strips. I first salted it and let it 'weep' before using it like noodles. I thought it was fantastic!! So did S/O.