Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Good morning! Just wanted to let you know that Marebear who did the graphics for the TDC gang has agreed to do us up a little something special and store on her website! I just have a PM back from her.

I tell ya the people on this site are just the best!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:10

BF:

Quote:
I would still like to be a part of this challenge because my goals are the same as everyone else here. Please don't be put off by my walking numbers. I am just dedicated, go at my own pace and increase the distance only when my body can handle it. I find walking fun and rewarding and I feel like I've accomplished something just by getting out and taking a walk.

Marty - I second Kelly L! You are insprining for me too! I know if you can do it then I can too! Not just the distance but the consistency.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:27
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

OK, everyone. I have created four images to choose from for this challenge. You can view them at the following link. I tried to get an image to work from the signature but it won't upload from Geocities which is where my website is. I can put the images on my work website and it will work for us then. I'll have them ready tomorrow.

http://www.geocities.com/mudknife2002/challenge.html

Tomorrow I'll it so all you have to do is copy and paste a link to get the images to work.

Last edited by mudknife : Mon, Jan-19-04 at 12:39.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 14:39
Contributing Member

Small change, I have 3 images now to choose from and I'll do my best to have them ready for tomorrow.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 15:24

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Week 1 --Session 1 Walk for 25 minutes

Just got back from my 25 minute walk. I was soaked to the bone <it's raining really hard> and cold but, hey, I did it.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 17:07

Plan: Atkins/person plan
Stats: 298/275/240 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Keep on trucking...

Okay...I worked out for 25 minutes Sunday night on the Gazelle and then today I went for a 25 minute walk at lunch. I am feeling a little tired this afternoon....my shin splints are bothering me....oh well....I just have to keep on trucking!

Have a good afternoon.

Happy
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 17:43

BF:
Default Graphics too!

Hi all - I see Marty has been hard at work creating images for the site....Marebear (she also did the TDC ones) came through as well and offered up these designs so now we can have one for each week! A talented bunch of folks!!

http://www.spundreams.com/madebymary/10k1.jpg

http://www.spundreams.com/madebymary/10k2.jpg

http://www.spundreams.com/madebymary/10k3.jpg
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 18:07

BF:

Happy et al:

Shin splits can be very painful - be sure to do some exercises to eleviate the pain! check out shin splint exercises

GENERAL INFORMATION:

What is it? A shin splint is pain caused by damage to the muscles and/or the shin bone in your lower leg. Shin splints can be treated but sometimes treatment doesn't help and you may have to stop running forever. Ask your caregiver for the CareNotes™ handout about shin splints to learn about other ways to treat your injury.

Do's and Don'ts: If your injury does not improve, call your caregiver.

Exercises:

Toe Taps: Standing or sitting, tap the floor with the foot of your injured leg for 2 minutes.

1 Leg Heel Raise: Stand on your injured leg with a chair turned backwards in front of you. Holding onto the chair back, raise up on your toes keeping your knee straight. Hold for 1 second. Slowly lower to the ground. Repeat 10 times.

Calf Stretch: Facing a wall, stand with your forward leg bent and (injured) back leg straight. Gently lean into the wall until you feel your calf stretch. Hold for 30 seconds. Relax. Repeat 2 times.

Chair Squats: Standing in front of a chair with your feet shoulder width apart. Slowly lower your hips until they barely touch the chair seat. Then stand up and repeat 20 times.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 19:40
Contributing Member

OK well I guess I worked on them too quickly. Never mind.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 20:27

BF:

Marty - no worries - we can each have one of our own! Go ahead and share them....
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 22:19

BF:

Week 1 Session 2 is complete!

Just got in from a brisk (I think it was) walk in the heavy heavy fog! Thank goodness that I have good sidewalks and streetlights. Felt good but some discomfort with my right calf and lower back (again). I followed up with some stretches from the website in my previous post.

Think that tomorrow I will try to get to the pool and water walk again. I found that it was much easier on everything and the soak in the whirlpool at the end was heaven!

I know I need to up my water intake too....that will likely ease some of the cramping. How is everyone else doing with water intake? I find its something that can slip so easily for me if I don't think about it. Any tips on that?
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 22:56

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

I used to have lots of trouble getting all my water in on weekdays. I've never really liked water so I would barely drink anything all day, come home and try to catch up and then be up all night running to the bathroom. Now I just drive myself insane at work. I have set my calendar reminder on my computer to tell me to drink water and then I keep snoozing it for another 15 minutes. So every 15 minutes I drink a big swallow of water. Pretty easy to get it all in when you do it that way. At first it was really annoying but now I don't even think about it. When the reminder pops up I just drink. It's becoming automatic.

#43   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 00:02

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmarshall
Week 1 Session 2 is complete!

Just got in from a brisk (I think it was) walk in the heavy heavy fog! Thank goodness that I have good sidewalks and streetlights. Felt good but some discomfort with my right calf and lower back (again). I followed up with some stretches from the website in my previous post.

I know I need to up my water intake too....that will likely ease some of the cramping. How is everyone else doing with water intake? I find its something that can slip so easily for me if I don't think about it. Any tips on that?

First....Congratulations on Session 2....Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always drank coffee, diet coke etc before I started this wol. Water was something that actually made me sick when I would drink it. I had to work really hard on finding ways to drink water. I tried it warm, ice cold...room temp, with a straw, without etc. It was hard. I now take water bottle with me where ever I go. Here at home every morning I set fresh water bottles around the house. I sip on them constantly. I found that if I take small sips I can keep it down. Before I knew it I was drinking 4 quarts a day.

I know you will find what works best....
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:05
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smoothblu: I now take water bottle with me where ever I go. Here at home every morning I set fresh water bottles around the house.
That sounds like me. I drink at least one 20 oz. cold bottle of water before my morning walks, and most of the time I drink two. Then I have more when I get home. Before starting this woe, you couldn't pay me to drink water. lol

Also by drinking more water if we get cramps it may mean we need a potassium supplement to stop the cramps.

Last edited by mudknife : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 10:07.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:21
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

OK. Better late than never. Count me in. 10k is about 5 miles (right?)...I figure I need to get there by my BD in March when HOPEFULLY I start walking the Pine Mountain Trail (26 miles).