Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:29

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Now you're on the right track Serena. Congrats.

Val
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 05:34

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

Thanks...down almost another pound today!

Yeah me! I feel really goos about it!

Also, i had a cup of decaf with 3 packs of splenda in it yesterday. I was affraid it would hurt my efforts...apparently not. That's good because I really enjoyed it!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Default gained 1.5 lbs and started over with FF

I returned to strick Induction after my 5 day Fat Fast. Within two days I had gained 1.5 lbs back. So again, I started a 5 day Fat Fast and completed it today. Strangley I have only lost the 1.5 lbs I gained back. It is also TOM and I wonder if more weight will drop off as I finish with TOM.

I re-read Atkins chapter 20 about Metobolic Restistance and the Fat Fast. Following the FF he suggests the Modified Fat Fast. Increasing calories to 1200 per day and decreasing from 5 to 4 meals. After one week of the Atkins says to then return to strick Induction again.

For varity I had they following 5 daily mini-meals:

2.5 ozs heavy whipping cream (1/3 c) no splenda it makes me stall
1 oz macadamia nuts (11-12 pieces)
4 Tbsp cream cheese
2 deviled eggs made with 1 tsp Mayo
1 oz lean meat with 1 Tbsp Mayo or 2 tsp cream cheese.

I found that I had better endurance when I had protein in the afternoon and evening meals and it also helped with hunger. I had little or no desire to cheat.

regards to all and best luck with this WOL!

Last edited by 94513 : Sat, Aug-30-03 at 17:39. Reason: spelling correction
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 16:06

Hey you are not doing your body any good with this. Do you honestly think that that 1.5 lb weight you took off and then put back on was anything other than water? You can't defy the laws of physics so there is nothing at all 'strange' going on...it takes 3500 net calories excess above your maintenance calorie needs to gain a lb of fat. So did you eat that much? My advice to you before you do some damage to your metabolism and goodness knows what else would be to throw away the scales for 6 months and get your measurements taken via calipers at the gym...its BF that you need to lose, not weight. If you take anyone's weight loss over a period of time- if you start out significantly OW, there will be a rapid decline of weight at the beginning which levels out here and there and then drops a bit again etc. It is natural to have rest periods which you call stalls..but even then fat can be burning off, and with exercise, heavier muscle tissue replaces it. When you take most people's total weightloss from start to goal and average it, it tends to come out at 3-4 lbs a month. So obsessing in this manner about a few pounds on the unreliable scales is unhealthy for you. The fat fast was meant to help people out of 6 week plus plateaus rather than as a rapid weight loss technique..I would bet Dr Atkins would be spinning in his grave if he knew how people misunderstand and abuse his WOE. His diet gives you a metabolic advantage, not a magic physics defying bullet. The menu you described is not giving you enough nutrition...if doing it broke a 'stall' then good, but get back to nutrition and figure that some of that weight loss would have had to be just water anyway- just like at the beginning, when half the first week's loss is.
It worries me a lot that people don't work on learning to eat well and lose weight permanently..any excessive and restrictive attempts at rapid weight loss will just slow your metabolism and you will pay the price when you are my age and have had a lifetime of doing this stuff.

Scales are too unreliable. For heavens sake, people can show a 4 lb 'gain' in the same day and lose it again in the morning! Do yourself a favor and throw away the scales.

V.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 17:37

Default Passionate about what we do!

VALEWIS you are wonderful and I so admire your passion that comes through clearly in your reply! Thank you for being a warrior for the Low Carb lifestyle. Thank you also for being supportive and adding your knowledgable insights.

sincerely,
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 17:50

Thanks for taking my rant so well.. lets say I am a veteran of the Wars of the Bulge and I now have an elderly and VERY resistant metabolism as a consequence of doing a lot of silly things like crash weight losses in my younger days. Its like people really want to believe that a particular diet is some magic pill.. plateaus are natural normal and inevitable. Attempts to crash through them by doing something abnormal only creates a more resistant metabolism as I have learned the hard way. I have also learned to not use the scales as it really does not give any accurate feedback about progress and just makes people obsessed and miserable. If you are eating a bit less than your maintenance caloric needs, exercising a lot, and using a LC metabolic advantage, and you keep doing this forever you will lose fat and then eventually will maintain and never feel hungry. If this takes a year, so what, as this should be permanent. Getting on the scales only reinforces your past bad habit mind set about weight which leads to panic weight loss attempts which leads to real metabolic resistance in the long haul... the fat fast is not a real good idea really and I'll bet Atkins felt some pressure to put something like that in his book for people who plateau for lengthy periods of time...meaning several months. One person in this forum I read had a year plateau....and then dropped the rest. Without doing anything different.

Cheers,

Val
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 18:56

Default Low Carbing for life

It will take me months more to reach my goal and this Fat Fast has been a liberating tool to put my body into ketosis. Soon I return to strick Atkins Induction inspiried for the months ahead.

You may be right that Atkin was under pressure to include the Fat Fast in his book. Sadly, many people have metobolic resistant genes and there are no cures for this. I will always be MR and will have to always keep a very low carb count even when I am on Maintainance.

Warm regars and thanks!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 20:51

I had a look at your initial posts re the fat fast You had lost 13%, and others at the time advised you as I have...that you are not metabolically resistant and that Atkins only advised fat fasts for people who had lost zero inches (or weight) in 6 weeks..
You may not be losing at the hugely rapid rate that you wanted...but that is not a good reason to be so jarring with your nutrition requirements. The majority of people don't continue with a big drop in weight after the initial one, and it slows down for a lot of us...

Some folks have discovered that they are in fact not eating enough and that is why they are so slow.
That was true for Serena, and many others have also reported that they stopped losing on Atkins for months on end and then switched to another less restrictive diet and started losing again.

I have said enough now.... you are being a good sport about my ranting on I must say.

Val
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 14:51

Default Supportive and insightful

VALEWIS - your are caring and add valuable insights.

Yes I was at 13% (6lbs) after four weeks of strick Atkins Induction, however, I exspected better results based on Dr. Atkins book. My expectations are rational in my reasoning.

I value the input of your replies. I participate in this forum for what I can contribute and what I can take from it.

Thank you and warm regards,
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 16:02

The expectation of what one expects to lose in induction is 10% of what weight is to be lost..so you were right on target. After that it is 5% per month. And these figures are averages, so there can be long periods of time with no change to scales (but generally change in BF%), as well as big variations in the percentages..and the more heavy you are to begin withm the more you lose. A 300 lb person wanting to get to 150 pounds then might lose 15 lbs in the first month. If they only lose 10, should they then go on a fat fast?

Figure on about 3 lbs a month on average and so from that in your case, it will take over a year to get to your goal. It has taken me over a year to lose 40 lbs. There are no magic bullets with weight loss...anything that has you lose more quickly will come back on just as quickly. Eating this way, and with continued exercise you will keep off your losses.

Good luck

Val
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 17:43

Default Wise words come from more than one mouth!

VALEWIS -

Well wise words come from more than one mouth! My older sister is also a Atkins low-carber. She visited today looking wonderful with her weightloss. We talked and she flat out told me that I am being too hard on myself and to lighten up. So...

I have returned to Atkins Induction and I will work on finding peace with the time it will take to achieve my goal.

Thank you.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 19:21

Great news! This is a big lesson that has taken me all these years to learn... first step, put scales in the closet, next step, try on some very tight pants in two months' time.

Val
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-07, 08:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 171/000/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 814%
Default i am starting fat fast today

I weighed 171lbs this morning and I am going to do a five day fat fast. I believe I will lose weight on the Atkins, I just can't eat some things> I refuse to be on induction and not lose weight. What's the point? I did 7 days of induction straight and fluctuated between 169-171. I am tired of weighting in the170's my best weight is 150 and what made being at 170 tolerable was knowing each day I was working on my weight even if it has been for only 7days . I have not stayed true to a weight loss plan for 7days in a row in years. So I feel better, I like the foods. Cheese does not work , unlimited bacon does not work
for me , I am not constipated because I don't eat heavy meats a lot of eggs~6-8/day some cream. I tried a cheese cake recipe and a breakfast casserole recipe too much cheese and cream. I am not going to eat all kinds of fats because I can. It doesn't work for my body. I went from 150-160-170 with a ten lb gain each year. I have tons of clothes and I have been reduced to sweatpants and velour jogging suits. My fat jeans are too tight. I am desperate
I will be 42 on 12/24 I don't want to be fat.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-07, 08:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 171/000/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 814%
Default what is TOM?

I see TOM a lot, what is that?
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-07, 17:57

Plan: M&E
Stats: 199/147.5/120 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 65%

hey there i no how you are feeling i;ve been there...but i found the meat and egg way of life...i been off and on for the last year,,,went from sixe 18 to 6 ..i will give you a menu i;ve been eating for the last 5 days and lost 8 lbs in those 5 days.. i will help you all i can...i stay under 5 grams carb a day and eat lots of fat..

B=2 EGGS/OLIVE OIL----BUTTER

L= SAMES AS BREAKFAST OR 2 BOILED EGGS --MAYO

S-6 OZ OF UNPROSSED MEAT COOKED IN EXTRA OIL OR BUTTER OR BOTH

I TRY TO KEEP MY CAL 1300 TO 1500

MY FAT IS 79% CARB 1% PROTIEN 20%