Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 15:45

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Wow, yeah that sounds so much like him. He struggles at even basic things because he can't wrap his head around them. Even things that should be common sense... he has a really hard time with it. Unless he feels like there will be dire consequences for not doing something, he just doesn't do it. He was put in special education as a child for half of every school day. But it's not that he isn't intelligent. It's so frustrating for me to see because I see that he's intelligent and that he's capable of so much, but he just doesn't do it. I've tried for two years to tell him I thought he had ADHD and sometimes I think he understands, but he goes on and on about how he has a "documented learning disability." I tried to tell him that the so-called documented learning disability is what they would have diagnosed him with at the time since ADHD didn't exist in diagnostic manuals.

He's very reluctant to try anything to fix his problem because he's very against medication and he's pretty much decided that nothing will help him and he's doomed to live a miserable life.

Regarding the comment about his good qualities... sure... I see them. That's why I haven't left him. I had tons of red flags before I married him though, and I really can say for certain I married him for the wrong reasons. But that wasn't just me though. He was 32 when we started dating and I was his first girlfriend. I think he felt that if he didn't marry me, he wouldn't get a chance with anyone else.

We were separated when I found out I was pregnant, btw. :/
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 16:19

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

Men have issues with getting help, even if they're in the middle of having a heart attack! It seems they have to be half dead before they'll finally concede.

Yeah, I'm 44 and back when I was a kid, you didn't really hear about ADD or ADHD. Mostly you just heard that "Johnny is hyperactive." Further, once it came more to light, the hyperactivity is a lot less common in girls, so they weren't treated, either.

Maybe you can present this to him: "If there's a chance at improving your life, why won't you at least try? If it doesn't work, then at least you tried."

It's one thing to fail after trying, it's quite another to never try at all.

ETA: My first husband and I were in the throws of separating when I found out I was pregnant. We split up twice after my son was born and by the time my son was 3 (almost 4), I finally threw in he towel. It was really negatively affecting our son because of the constant opposition. He would try to do things to distract us from arguing.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 16:38

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaec
I think my husband's general lack of motivation needs to be addressed. Even he doesn't understand why he's that way, but I think he's been depressed for so long that it's just become something that he thinks is inherent to who he is, when I believe it's the result of depression that he's likely suffered from since he was a teenager. Until we can fix whatever is causing his lack of motivation, I can't see how he will even care enough to really work on the marriage.
What is he eating? What if all these mood and behavior difficulties are from his eating bad industrial food. What if it's what he's eating, instead of what's eating him. Depression, attention deficit, and amotivation can all be symptoms of what we call carb poisoning.

Your staying in this difficult situation reminds me of an article I like from Kathleen DesMaison, author of Potatoes not Prozac. Her premise is that the dance of abuse that both people stay in, can be both physical (from white carbs) and biochemical in people who are sensitive to carbs and are suffering the consequences without being aware of it - and that you can get out of it with food and behavior changes.

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/resourcecenter/abuse.htm

Quote:
You go back, or you stay. You make do because you feel you are not worth more or because you feel you have no skills, no way to support yourself. You are ashamed that you cannot resolve this. You hide it and act as if things are all right. People tell you that you should get out, you should leave, but you don’t. What is that about?

On some level you are “hooked” on the dance of beta-endorphin. The fights, the abuse, while on the surface seem horrible, on another level are creating the biochemistry that allows you to function. If you go away and don’t have the “hit” [literally and figuratively], you go into withdrawal. The old feelings of helplessness and inadequacy return. So you go back. You cannot see the dynamic. Your friends think you are nuts. You think they do not understand.

What is the way out?

You heal the biochemistry. Doing the food, doing the steps changes everything. You get clear. Your sense of self creeps up on you. From the inside out. You start feeling ok and whole and capable. You start seeing the reality of the situation. Your beta-endorphin levels go up. Your serotonin levels rise. You are able to say no to sugar and white things. And something strange starts to happen. You start saying no to abuse. You say, “This won’t work for me.” You set boundaries. You are even and calm and clear.

After step 6, your beta-endorphin levels start to rise. You don’t need the “hit”. Read that again. You don’t NEED it. You are not hooked on the hit any more.

Now, if you haven’t done the food yet, this idea is going to seem totally outrageous to you. How in the world can breakfast have an impact on your abusive boyfriend or boss or parent? You are going to think I am totally off the wall. But I am not. This is a BIOCHEMICAL issue. Doing the food alters the biochemistry that makes you feel you deserve being put down or hurt. It alters the dance.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 16:38

"It's one thing to fail after trying, it's quite another to never try at all."

I tell him this all the time, but honestly he's pretty much decided that nothing is going to help and this is how he is. I'm very much the type of person that works on anything about myself that I consider less than optimal. Not that I strive for perfection, but I think there is always room for improvement. That's why I've gone to my counselor for as long as I have. My husband... he doesn't try, period. No motivation. :/

Luckily as far as our marriage and our kid goes... We very, very rarely even disagree in front of our son. Early on my husband would pick fights with me in front of him and I'd try to stop him. It got really bad once and I had to call the police on him because he wouldn't let me leave the room (thus physically tried to stop me while I was holding the baby). The baby was about 6 weeks old. Ever since then, my husband hasn't lost his temper at me and rarely allows arguing to happen in front of the baby. I'm really strict about that, and I think he doesn't want me to end up calling the police on him again.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 18:47
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

It can be difficult being with someone who has learning difficulties. My DH was diagnosed with aspergers a few years ago, it was something he'd had all his life, but wasn't known about when he was a kid. He had got to the point where he couldn't deal with the condition, became agoraphobic and suffered from severe anxiety and depression. He's doing better than he was, since he had a course of cbt, he now goes to work, and can go to the shop, but can't handle any other social situation without me - even seeing his family. He was very different when I met him - pretended to be ultra confident - turns out that this was just a coping mechanism that couldn't last.

It was a huge shock for me, the diagnosis, and understanding that in many ways he would never change, he would never get better. In loving him, I had to accept that I would be looking after him for the rest of his life. He went through a period of incredibly low self esteem, especially during the diagnostic process which highlights everything he couldn't do or struggled with.

As one poster suggested, I did the exercise of writing a long list of his positive qualities for him. It helped me to change my mindset about how I thought about things. Like yourself, I'm pretty capable and can turn my hand to most things, whereas he struggles with lots of things. It would have been easy for him to start feeling inferior, but I've made a conscious effort to change the way we interact. In the past I could be critical at times, especially when I had expectations that he didn't meet. But understanding the problems he has, the specific things that he has difficulties with, and trying to cater to them, has improved our relationship. For instance, by talking, I found that he needed specific instructions on how to do things, preferably written. He also couldn't tell how I was feeling or understand my thought processes, so by improving my own communication skills and telling him my feelings and explaining thought processes, and not just assuming that he understands, made a huge difference. For instance telling him when I need a hug, or keeping my cool when we have a disagreement, and explaining why I'm angry or upset, instead of expecting him to realise.

Being with someone with a learning difficulty can be hard work. And making it work requires effort from both parties. I work hard at the relationship, but then so does he. I've make sure to appreciate all the qualities on the list, and many that I forgot to write down. I tell him he's my hero, he fights severe anxiety every day in order to work and interact with people, it takes huge amounts of courage.

Anyway, the point of relating this is to say, that it can work if you both love eachother and you're both willing to give ground and work on things. I'm not sure if it can work if he wants to use his learning difficulty as an excuse all the time. But maybe this is just a barrier he uses to protect himself? Maybe if you were able to get some foundations to his self esteem, with counselling etc then maybe he would feel a little more confident. Having a learning difficulty or mental illness, is scary, and the easiest thing to do is often to maintain the status quo. Making changes takes courage and confidence.

It sounds as if you have loads of intelligence and insight to help him through this if that is what you want to do, and if he's willing. But remember that you have yourself and your son to look after too, if he's not willing to put in the work, there may come a time when you need to say 'enough's enough' for the sake of you and your son.

Lee
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 15:18

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
He told me the other night that "a significant reason" why he doesn't have sex with me is my weight and that he's not attracted to me.

but you were good enough for him to get you pregnant twice? He obviously thought you were hot enough at one time?
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
but you were good enough for him to get you pregnant twice? He obviously thought you were hot enough at one time?

The first time I got pregnant was within a month of us getting married. And we were purposely trying to get me pregnant because of a weird situation... basically my grandmother loves kids a lot and we knew my grandfather was about to pass. So I thought having a kid would make her happy. (Eventually this proved correct, although I lost my first pregnancy.) I pressured my husband a lot, but it only took me two weeks of trying to get pregnant.

The second time I got pregnant was really a shock because it was from the one and only time we'd had sex in the course of five months.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 13:25

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 254/222/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I know its a LOT harder to leave someone when you have a kiddo, but it sounds like the best option to me. I can't imagine he is going to be a terribly awesome father to your kiddo as they grow with this kind of emotional abuse.

I'd get out, mama...you are beautiful and you and your baby deserve a whole heck of a lot more in a 'family'
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-10, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: a blend of what works
Stats: 211/198/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
This is emotionally abusive. It's not a normal attitude.

Uh-HUH! Head for the hills, girl! That is just beyond abusive.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-10, 18:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Forgive my bluntness but it sounds like you're carrying around a bad-tempered boat anchor with sharp, teeth. Seriously, does this guy bring you anything that makes all these problems worth it?

IMHO the wrong person is in counseling.

You don't want your children to grow up this guy as a role-model do you? They'll just go reenact what they're seeing played out around them.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-10, 02:09

The only reason I've stuck with him is that he's a fantastic dad. He knows better than to treat me like that in front of our kid. He and I do a good enough job of looking like we're okay in front of our son. (Although he's just 15 months.. but still.)

My issue is kind of like... I feel really guilty leaving my husband when he's such a good dad. I've encountered lots of dads, and none can compare, really. Understand, the guilt is for my son, not my husband. I know this is twisted logic, but I feel really selfish when I seriously think about leaving him. :/
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-10, 07:56

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaec
He's very reluctant to try anything to fix his problem because he's very against medication and he's pretty much decided that nothing will help him and he's doomed to live a miserable life.

Unless you break through that (and you have his childhood upbringing, religious influences, and Learned Despair all working against both of you,) you have to escape with yourself and your child. Along with your own resources getting burned up just keeping this leaky ship afloat, you are also teaching your child the wrong ways to cope with life.

This is the age where children learn things that seem engraved in stone. What is your son learning about love? His future relationships depend on his influences as he is growing up.

It is laudable that your husband wishes to be involved in his child's life; and that should not change if you seek a better life without him. But since he does not change until he absolutely has to; maybe you have to give him that kind of motivation.

And I have to add that this brand of "Christianity" he seems trapped in is not the real thing. I was exposed to Lutheran, Methodist, and Baptist growing up. I was Born Again at fourteen, and currently practice something close to Unitarianism.

Jesus taught us, above all, that we should be kind to one another. Putting your husband through hell, as his religion seems to be doing, is not Christian.

I only bring this up because so many people think being respectful of someone's religion means they cannot say a single bad thing about it. But this just opens the door to fakes and manipulators and madness; no matter what religion the bad advice is cloaked under.

You sought help from these people, and all they wanted to do was convert you. Your husband is undoubtedly laboring under all the messages that are designed to keep him trapped in his despair; that medication is not something God approves of, that it is all your fault for not being a meek submissive wife, that it is all his fault for not being Manly Enough and running everything with an iron hand.

I know. I've seen it. I've seen people trying to live under it. I've seen people driven to despair and suicide... and I've seen them get out.

Even though it's not your religion, you might still have to get out.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-10, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 261/187/140 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I wonder if it's actually threatening to him that you are losing?

Thats what I was thinking one of my ex's actaully told me he likes his women fat so noone eles will want them "which isn't true" lots of guys like bigger women but he tried to control me and make fun of my diet and I told him to hit the road eventaully ya know.. I'm sorry this is happening to you maybe you should sit down with him and ask him why he is acting like this and tell him how much it hurts you.. He may not know..
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-10, 12:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I come from a slightly different perspective....so Im gonna say this a little bluntly...the possibilities I see are that your husband may not be attracted to women and is blaming your weight..or he is not attracted to real women and prefers 2 dimensional or he's pointing to you to keep you from seeing something he's doing....or none of the above..just sayin'
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-10, 13:24

Plan: Lighterlife (UK) sort of!
Stats: 397/244/173 Male 6'2"
BF:50.1%/31.3%/22.2%
Progress: 68%

Yup, I wondered that as well. 32yr old virgin, uptight religious background. Probably gay. Or bi-. Or at least very confused. Using your weight as an excuse.

Also you say that he's a fantastic dad. I'd watch that one incredibly closely if I were you. We the amount of junk he's got in his personal u-haul, I'd be taking extreme care to ensure that none of that taint rubbed off on the kids. Not least the religious stuff.

I'd suggest it's ultimatum time, not least concerning which of you needs counselling and what for - but certainly you should not tolerate his abuse one moment longer. Doesn't need to be 'tough love'. It can just be 'tough', if you like, since he frankly sounds quite a hard-bitten, manipulative piece of work.

And if he won't support you in your academic work, then keep that $300 in your pocket every month. We have a word for blokes like that in this country. It's not a nice word.