Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 22:07
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I am so happy to read this thread! I am doing Atkins again (afte a very long break) and am nursing my 16 month old. Atkins book realy bugged me because it said nursing mothers should not follow any of the weight-loss phases; only lifetime maintenance. But he doesn't go into more detail than that. And how are you supposed to determine a carb level for "maintenance" if you haven't been slowly adding them in like you do in OWL??? Grrr...

Anyway, the more I have read online I have felt a bit more comfortable and am pretty sure Dr A's advice in the book is more of a liability issue than strictly true, kwim?

Anyway, it's wonderful to hear all of your succeses. I was a bit worried about my milk supply and change in taste, but then I figured, at this stage of the game, it's not really as much of an issue as if he was a newborn.

BTW, it's great to see so many nursing moms here
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 14:32

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

No-one is willing to take responsibility when it comes to pregnancy and babies. I swear, I just saw some pre-natal vitamins with the disclaimer "Do not take while pregnant except under doctor's supervision."
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 05:08
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

LOL Helen!
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/190/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi everyone,
I am so glad to have found this site! I lost about 100 pounds doing Atkins after my last pregnancy ( nine years ago) I am currently breastfeeding my four month old daughter and wanting to loose my postpartum weight ( abount fifty pounds) I have been reluctant to go back to low carb because everyone says it is unhealthy for breastfeeding, but now I'
m gonna give it a go. Today is my first day back to eating the way that makes me feel healthy! Thank you for the encouragement!
Anne
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 11:17
muscle bound

Good luck to you Anne! Make sure you're drinking lots of water and such. The first week of LC can be a bit dehydrating.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 07:26
Registered Member

BF:

So I am on my third day of low carb and I am noticing that my little one seems to be throwing up more than usual. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem also?
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 13:40
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Could be a dairy thing (if you've added a lot of cheese to your diet). I had reflux issues with my second, but they went away when I eliminated dairy.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-07, 14:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default Sacred to step on the scale

So I have been low carbing for one week now and am totally afraid to step on the scale because I am afraid that it hasn't worked and I will be disappointed! As far as my little one, se seems to be fine and actually I have been giving her a little more formula at night, just to ease my mind about the breastfeeding thing. So I am planning on stepping on the scale tomorrow morning and am very anxious about it!
Anne
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-07, 15:31

BF:
Progress:

Low carbing will not hurt your baby. I swear. Think about it. Women have been designed by nature to feed their babies. Whatever else goes short, the baby won't. That's why the calcium for the baby's milk comes from your bones (the certain supply) rather than your diet (far less certain). Your breasts do a great job filtering out all sorts of things babies shouldn't have.

Believe me, I've tested my own milk often enough, there are no ketones in there.

BTW, the calcium from your diet goes back to your bones. You don't lose out either unless there is a famine. After breastfeeding, you should end up with stronger bones than before.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-07, 18:40
Registered Member

BF:

Helen,
Thanks for reassuring me, I really am not too worried about it as we are continuing to nurse and everything does seem fine. I forgot to mention that I am Irish catholic and as a rule usually feel guilty about everything
Anne
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 11:56

BF:
Progress:

Join the Club! Actually, I think low carbing is one of the few things that the Church doesn't complain about.

Do you live in Ireland?
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-07, 06:53
Registered Member

BF:

So I have been doing induction for exactly one week and I weighed my self this morning and lost .5 pound! Not as much as I was hoping for but I feel better as I am control of my eating and not craving sweets. Also I feel thinner even though the scale is not moving so I am going to keep it up. Anyone have any ideas as to why I am not losing as quickly this time around?
Thanks,
Anne
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-07, 15:18

BF:
Progress:

Are you breastfeeding?

What are you eating? How much exercise are you doing?
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-07, 18:33
Registered Member

BF:

Helen,
I am breastfeeding, and my daily diet looks like this:
A.m.
Half of an avocado
two eggs scrambled
bacon

Lunch
Green Salad w/ grilled chix balsamic vinegrette dressing

Dinner
Meat or fish w/ asparagus or brocolli

Walnuts as a snack
Also sugar free Jello w/ whipped cream

Unfortunately I am not exercising at all. I am in nursing school and between studying and taking care of my baby and nine year old I'm not really getting much exercise in.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-07, 05:38
muscle bound

Are you tracking your food? Do you know how many calories this is? Bacon, walnuts, whipped cream can add up quickly. However, if you feel good and are content with your menu, half a pound/week steady loss is good!

Any activity you can add over the course of the day will help, too. It doesn't have to be structured---even a daily walk is good.