Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 12:30

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

boiled eggs are great for me. Some stores even sell them done and shelled already. Kinda pricey for what they are though.

OKAY QUESTION I'm high risk for high blood pressure. They are testing my urine for protein. Since i eat quite a bit of protein will it show up in my urine!?!?!?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 12:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No. Protein shows up in urine only if your kidneys are having trouble filtering it out.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 12:33

BF:

Whew thanks Nancy!! She was telling me to stay under 30g a day which I find silly.

LC usually make certain that kidneys and livery work properly if I recall correctly.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 12:55

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Valerie - welcome! For breakfasts, one suggestion would be to make some mini crustless quiches. I would mix up a dozen eggs with some cream in a bowl. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin and fill the muffin cups with whatever meats/veggies you like in an omelette (cook the meats first!) - I liked to do crumbled sausage, onion, and chopped spinach or sometimes some fresh salsa. Then pour some of the egg mixture into each cup. Top each with some shredded cheese and bake until firm.

I would do 2 pans of these at a time (so 24 total) because they last fine in the fridge. They're good if you like them cold, or just take a few seconds to heat in the microwave. Much easier than cooking eggs every morning.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 13:51

BF:

Awesome idea Jill!!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 15:03

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

we do a breakfast bar with egg, coconut, stevia/xylitol and cinnamon. they freeze really well. teh recipe should be in the first post of my journal

re placenta encapsulation~~i live in a really crunchy area, and there are a couple of people locally who do it. one woman will come in and dehydrate it here in my own home. i've heard from other moms who had theirs encapsulated and that it really helped. i think having the placenta dried, pulverized and put into pill format would be a lot different than digging in like it was a steak, iykwim! LOL ps i've used facial creams, etc with placenta in them so it's not like it's total ick.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 15:56

Plan: mix of Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 218/146.2/133 Female 5, 5'
BF:26
Progress: 84%

Oh my gosh, Jill, those sound fantastic! I'm going to make those tomorrow. Thank you, thank you. I'm going to check out that recipe as well Walnut! Thank you! Breakfast is the trickiest meal for me, and it seems like if I blow it at breakfast the rest of the day is, well, not good to say the least. Today has been a great day in the eating department so far...In turn I feel a sense of accomplishment which feels good rather than depressed. I am thrilled about that. I hope you girls had a great day! I just keep trying not to think about my failures and focus on making one good choice at a time. Are you guys journaling food while pregnant? Should I start now, or wait until after I have the baby?
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 16:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Walnut- having a particularly dry heavey day and got hungry reading about the breakfast bars, then wanted to vomit after reading about the placenta encapsulation. Haha.

Valerie- Welcome!!! What about making Oopsie Rolls and tucking some cheese on them to go? http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/reci...p?recipe=259930
Also- you say tomorrow is a new day. I have little slip-ups, sometimes in the AM, sometimes in the afternoon when I'm starving and making my son grilled cheese. I always look at it as a "time to recommit NOW". I once read a blog about a woman who commited to low carb that night and lost 1 lb by the time she got up the next morning. I always think about that when I'm tempted to let my whole day slip down the toilet.

Update: I'm super proud of myself... I gained 8 lbs after eating only carbs to "feel better" for the first 8 weeks. I have maintained that weight for the last 12 weeks! It's been difficult, I have been low carbing and exercising 3-4 times a week for about an hour. However, last time I packed on 41 lbs and only lost 25 lbs in the first few weeks... I don't want to repeat this. I have a bridesmaid dress hanging in my closet that I have to put on 32 days after my due date.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 17:37

BF:

Great job Katzue!!

Just realized that TUMS have stinking sugar in them. LOL not like I can give that up!!!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 20:39

Oh no tums have sugar in them!!! I'm in trouble. I feel kind of lost. I don't know how strict to be or not to be. I'm kind of an all or nothing girl, but obviously I don't want to diminish the babies nutrients in any way. Do you girls have any suggestions on reading material that lays out a plan for LCing while pregnant. I almost feel like I need to know exactly how many carbs I can have...
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 20:57

BF:

Well I don't eat a lot of carbs but I gotta have my tums a few times a day....
I'm the SAME way all or nada.
I did see online that they do have sugar free tums. Sucks cause the generic is WAY cheaper.
guess I don't need my extra calcium pills to go along with my prenatals!!
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 21:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirelav
Oh no tums have sugar in them!!! I'm in trouble. I feel kind of lost. I don't know how strict to be or not to be. I'm kind of an all or nothing girl, but obviously I don't want to diminish the babies nutrients in any way. Do you girls have any suggestions on reading material that lays out a plan for LCing while pregnant. I almost feel like I need to know exactly how many carbs I can have...

Have you tried Zantac? It's no sugar, safe in pregnancy (pregnancy category b) and lasts a longer time.

I joined spark people, and googled "nutrients in pregnancy" and used that information to set parameters for me. I don't take it every day, but I do take a prenatal... the girls in this thread should be able to give you more info about supplementing, if you're interested.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 14:46

why are you taking tums? if it's for a calcium supplement, the kind of calcium in tums is one of the least absorbable kinds of calcium anyways.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 16:43

I have crazy bad heartburn pretty much on a daily basis so Tums are my go-to. Have any of you girls made the LC cheesecake? I have been collecting recipes, and am having such a good time might I add! What are your favorite LC recipes? I am actually looking forward to grocery shopping...which is weird. On the to-do list: mini quiches & mini cheesecakes. Yum. Hope you all have a happy new year!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 12:02

re heartburn~it may just clear up with lowcarbing. a lot of heartburn is caused from low stomach acid so betaine hcl can be a lot more beneficial than a buffer (like calcium)