Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 07:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/135/120 Female 67.00
BF:24%
Progress: 40%
Default Payback

I haven't had sf candy since February and Easter time has traditionally been when I eat a lot of candy. This is my first time on Atkins at Easter time. I made a conscious decision to try the Hershey's SF peanut butter cups (4) and Judy's caramels (2 squares). After 1 hour I felt like Eddie Murphy in the Nutty Professor movie. My insides felt like I downed a gallon of water in 5 minutes. Sixteen hours later and I am still suffering. I have been taking Bismuth and Gas-X.

I hope it hasn't kick me out of ketosis (I'm afraid to check). Unfortunately, I fully realize that I cannot have these treats and be able to function.

I had the nerve to eat these before going to a party for a close friend that is leaving town. I was miserable at the party. It felt odd watching my stomach expand and contract and I made several trips to the ladies room.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 21:42

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile To answer your question, Kassie...

In my experiences w/the PB cups, I can get away w/eating one serving (5 cups, I believe) w/out having any nasty reactions- granted this serving would be the only thing for the day w/sugar alcohols in it. I made the mistake of eating a whole bag of these suckers once (thanks, TOM ) and I was doing the bathroom dash all night.

Your roomie may want to start out by testing to see how 3-5 cups affect him since they're a YMMV kinda thing. These don't bother me when eaten in moderation, but Russell Stover candies are a BIG no-no for me no matter how many I eat.

HTH-
Nikki
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 06:54
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hi again

Well my roommate has found out that 5-6 of the cups was enough to have a night of bathroom journeys. The poor fellow!
He said that he is going to try 3 cups. I wonder if the fact he had an advantage bar earlier in the day had any effect.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 14:25

Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hershsugar free chocolate

Hope I did that right. This is the Hershey sugar free chocolates facts site. Seems they only have 1 to 2 effective carbs per 5 piece serving.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 14:29

Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hershsugar free chocolate

Click the above link to get all the facts on Hersheys Sugar Free chocolate. I tried to look it up a week ago, but couldn't find it. So I guess they just added it. Now to find the info on Russel Stover
  #36   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 12:12

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Yummy but deadly...

I bought a bag. Ate the 5-piece recommended serving. No problems, no worries. Later that same day ate another 5-piece serving. Big problems, big worries.

It was worse than the Russells Stovers episode. Once again I could see my stomach leap and lurch. And I had to put on pants without buttons or zippers to facilitate ease of undressing
  #37   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 12:14

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I, too, can only do the one serving otherwise I'm in the same predicament. Live and learn, I guess.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 16:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%

I know you all are discussing Hershe;s chocolate, but I feel I should throw in my .02 cents about malitol. Last night my husband brought home SF chocolate wafer cookies. One serving was six cookies and had 20 carbs but 0 sugar. I ate only 2 cookies because I didn't want to go overboard on carbs. About two hours later I was in the restroom having the same reaction I had last time I took an extra strength laxative. It was so awful.
The cookies contained MALITOL. I know now that this is a huge NO NO for by digestive system. The little cookies were good, I'll say that, but NOT nearly worth the time spent in the restroom and discomfort.....
Eaters beware!!!
I know it doesn't affect some people but unfortunatly, I am not one of you!

#39   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 16:48

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%
Thumbs down Reese cups

Hersheys should discontinue making this ASAP. I bought the bag of 10 "mini" sugar free cups, not sure if they make any bigger bags. Well let's just say that they were gone in about 45 seconds. I have eaten and enjoyed other sugar free chocolates before this and been fine. But after eating one of these it made me want the whole damn bag.

The whole bag had 6 net carbs, but it seems the Hershey stuff has A LOT more sugar alcohols than the other brands. Maybe that is why it made me crave em that much more? As good as they were, I can't afford to buy them again.....because once I open the bag I KNOW I will finish it
  #40   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 23:39

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Yes.... evil.

EVIL!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 16:07

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Thumbs down

I tried the Hersheys SF candies. They gave me terrible stomach aches almost wanted to go to the hospital. All that sugar alchol made me sooooooooo sick. Will not eat again, and I dont recomend.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 16:09

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally posted by bebe123
I know you all are discussing Hershe;s chocolate, but I feel I should throw in my .02 cents about malitol. Last night my husband brought home SF chocolate wafer cookies. One serving was six cookies and had 20 carbs but 0 sugar. I ate only 2 cookies because I didn't want to go overboard on carbs. About two hours later I was in the restroom having the same reaction I had last time I took an extra strength laxative. It was so awful.
The cookies contained MALITOL. I know now that this is a huge NO NO for by digestive system. The little cookies were good, I'll say that, but NOT nearly worth the time spent in the restroom and discomfort.....
Eaters beware!!!
I know it doesn't affect some people but unfortunatly, I am not one of you!

Ditto on that for me too.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 194/180/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Exclamation Hershey's

There are 24 grams of carbs
2 grams of dietary Fiber
0 grams of sugar
21 grams of Lacitol

So what does that make the net carb? I hear everyone talking about these and bought a package.....just for emerg. Please help.

Thanks;
Tannis
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:32

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Effective Carb: 1 gram.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 194/180/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thanks, I'm with you on that hard boiled egg. This morning I had 3 for breakfast and I had to litterally force them through my clenched teeth...lol!!

Have a great day!
Tannis