Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 11:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey_
Tamarian,

You write "It is worth explaining that the book only mentions low-fat dairy, due to its position regarding saturated fats. i.e. the book is not encouraging low-fat, it's advocating low saturated fats. We disagree with this position, but we disagree with the label "low-fat", as it is inaccurate."

Did you instead mean, "We agree with this position, but we ..."

Otherwise I would expect, "We disagree with this position, and we also ..."

Thanks for spotting this mistake Jeffery. I meant "We disagree with the author's position on saturated fats, as there are no supporting studies for this position. However, the plan is not low-fat, as such a label is not accurate. The plan is low on saturated fats."

I'll edit the original post with this correction.

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 16:15
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb Diet Solution
Stats: 188/154/135 Female 65
BF:more than I want!
Progress: 64%
Smile Hello...

I have been on & off Atkins for 2 years (mix in a little low-fat diet here & there, too). I liked Atkins and the effects I saw, but my body didn't like it so much. My mom swears by Atkins, but it's just not my "thing." I've also tried South Beach, but got sidetracked with a new job/house/etc. and never went back. I recently tried to go back to Atkins again (we're talking little over a week ago) and I had a great first couple days, but felt lousy the last 5 days. What I like about South Beach is it incorporates foods I love but in a healthy, "controlled" manner. As of today, I am going to go back to the beach (I need a tan anyway ). I feel silly for switching after only a week, but I've been trying to lose weight for so long that I've gotten pretty good at listening to my body and it is begging for something different!

(What a jumbled paragraph that was--sorry!)
  #33   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 16:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/170/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Making a Decision to change plans

Hi, My BF has been doing Aktins for a yr now and has lost 55 some pounds, I've been on it since December and have went from a 16 to a 12. He is getting tired of the same ol same ol..what do u suggest we do ..we do it all together an support each other.. would the SBP be a good change...
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 20:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/245/125 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress:

the South beach diet in a nut shell. limits certain fats and adds in "healthy carbs". I have been doing a little of both I will see if it works. I am in the middle of the two. ex. south beach says to use skim milk. I use 2%or whole. The south beach diet says to only use turkey bacon I use regular bacon. However I eat some of the healthy carbs.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:00
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Thumbs up

I, too, am doing a modified version of both Atkins/SoBe Diet. My partner is doing Sobe, and I'm doing Atkins. When we spend time together, we do both. Lots and lots of grilled veggies and grilled fish.

On weekends, she grills up a couple lbs of chix breasts for both of us during the week.

She can't do Atkins, all fats go against her grain.
She makes all those little egg quiche cups, she drinks her V8 juice every morning, and on weekends we eat fresh tomato, fresh mozzeralla salad with fresh basil. Now tomatoe's aren't on Atkins, but because they're in abundance right now, nothing is going to stop me from my favorite salad.

My cholesterol shot up into dangerous levels doing strictly Atkins. So i've had to modify it to keep me from getting any strokes. I'm trying to reduce the fat content, no heavy creams, no meat constantly.... It's been a health choice for me. But all in all, Sobe is as healthy as it gets... It's back to basic eating like we did in the 50's. No fast food joints, no fast frozen foods... you just have to take the time to prepare foods and keep them in the fridge for when hunger strikes. It works so much better. If you don't prepare, you're going to go hunting for things that may not be conducive to the SoBe way of life. It's your choice.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 13:35
Contributing Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 212/167/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Love South Beach!

Hello there everyone. I just got thru reading all the posts, and am encouraged by all the South Beachers! I have lost 32 lbs since Feb.04
and feel sooo much better. I do miss a few things by this WOE, but
feel the benefits are so worth it. My Doctor put me on SB, and he is
so happy with my results also, Blood Pressure down etc... best of luck
everyone!!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 17:55
Atkins on the Beach!

Plan: high fiber/low glycemic
Stats: 245/224/150 Female 5'3"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 22%

Hello fellow South Beachers

I just found this website today and now the SBD section. I'm looking forward to a new way of eating - with healthy results!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 21:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Pilot Gal - Thanks for sharing - I would only comment that tomatoes are allowed on Atkins - just not in the first two weeks. I use them a lot - and DH and I make the same salad as you do. I might eat fewer (1 medium rather than a large one!) but I eat them.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 09:47
Atkins on the Beach!

Default Atkins and South Beach

I'm still trying to figure this all out - probably will be for the rest of my life .

Am I right that SB differs from Atkins in that weight loss on SB is tied to decreased calories and Atkins is tied to ketosis?
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 12:09

Plan: sOUTH BEACH
Stats: 127/124/114 Female 58 INCHES
BF:
Progress:
Cool

I just started SB Sat., lost a few lbs., but I will need more than two weeks to loss '8-13 lbs'. How long can you stay on SB phase 1 for me to loss some substantial weight?
thanks! Alice
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 13:45
Atkins on the Beach!

Hey Southbeach!
Welcome! This is a great site for low-carb eating help. I'm finding that most folks here are Atkinsonians - but all very supportive. So, not a lot of action on the Southbeach threads, I'm afraid - maybe I just haven't found the more active places yet . . . As for phase one, my understanding is that you can stay on it as long as you want/can stand to. Just make sure you're eating a lot of variety and getting some good low carb veggies in - probably a good idea to take some vitamins if you want to do it for a really long time. Now if I'm, remembering right (don't have the book here) the idea is you do the first phase to get rid of cravings and jump start your weight loss - then start adding in whole grains and low glycemic stuff in limited amounts to continue losing at a steady rate and also to not feel too deprived. Then when you reach goal can be a little more free w/ carbs to maintain - but the idea is to change your way of eating to eliminate most sugar and processed high glycemic carbs.
Hope this helps.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 10:58

Plan: South Beach/Atkins cross
Stats: 210/199/115 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Great Info

It's so great to be able to read other people's opinions on all the low-carb diets. I tried Atkins earlier in the year (2 months on) and had good weight loss results (25 lbs.) but, my cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. skyrocketed. Very suprising for someone whose had blood pressure bordering on too low her entire life. Since starting south beach (2 weeks ago) my blood pressure has dropped from 130/80 to 115/75 and my boyfriend's has gone from 150/80 to 120/80. I don't feel as tired as I did while on Atkins and generally feel healthier. T

he weight loss isn't quite as fast, I've lost 10 lbs. and my boyfriend has lost 20 (he is able to work out for 2 hours a day/5 times a week), but I think that the way I'm feeling more than makes up for that.

The one thing I found that I liked better on Atkins was the structure, I find it easier to know when I've had too much if I have a limit. So, I've combined the foods suggested in South Beach with carb counting. Right now I'm sticking to Atkins induction level carbs.

I know that I don't drink enough water, I think that is a big part of why I haven't lost as much as my boyfriend, but I'm working on it. I just take my mom's advice, she's a clinical dietitian, who says that the best diet is the one that doesn't take a lot of effort to stay on.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 19:32

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriYM
I'm still trying to figure this all out - probably will be for the rest of my life .

Am I right that SB differs from Atkins in that weight loss on SB is tied to decreased calories and Atkins is tied to ketosis?

I don't think this generalization is true - although it may be for some people. First, the scientific studies of Atkins (the ones finding it works) found no correlation between ketosis and weight loss - meaning whether or not a person was in ketosis during the study had little to do with how much they lost. While originally 30 years ago Atkins may be stressing ketosis a lot - and I know he still explains it - , it seems it is not absolutely necessary, and many Atkiners in later phases here do not seem to be in ketosis. On the other hand, I sure was in ketosis during SBD phase 1!

I also find on SBD (and formerly on Atkins) I ate way more calories than the low calory-low fat old-fashioned diets recommend - so lowered calories aren't the SBD magic either.

WHy does it work? I think high fiber and high protein is one way how SBD fills you - I eat a TON of vegetables on SBD, and the protein keeps you satisfied for a longer time. I also recommend you read the book - it explains how keeping the glucose level even is one reason why you are less hungry on SBD.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 20:07

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika4
On the other hand, I sure was in ketosis during SBD phase 1!

I am sure you were. Less than 100 g of carbs a day will eventually get most people into ketosis. So if you follow Phase 1 by the book, you'll probably go into ketosis.

I just with the SBD book had a little honesty about the initial weight loss on SBD is mostly water weight as glycogen stores are depleted. Somebody might do the diet for 2 weeks, lose 10 lbs of water, then gain it right back.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 08:07

Plan: sOUTH BEACH
Stats: 127/124/114 Female 58 INCHES
BF:
Progress:
Default a reply to your SBD comments

Hi. I found your comments and comparisons to Atkins and SBD interesting. I started the SBD - it will be 4 weeks this Sat. - and I am still on phase 1, which I am doing fine with. I lost 5 lbs in three weeks, which is good. I would like to stay on Phase 1 for a big longer, as I also eat a ton of vegetables. I haven't had any simple carbs, or fruit. I did try something last night that had some sugar in it, just to see my reaction, and I found the sweetness horrible, which is great for me, because I was eating way too much of it any way! Forgive my ignorance, but could someone explain Ketosis to me? I haven't a lot of weight to lose, but what I have to lose is my fat, not water, and that, I think is going to take the longest to shed. Thanks for your comments! Good day to all!

Alice
Closed Thread