Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, May-01-10, 18:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/164/168 Male 65
BF:
Progress: 115%

i think that my running/jogging an hr a day takes up way more time than p90x...i wish my sister would bring the dvd's over quicker lol.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, May-02-10, 05:34
Registered Member

Plan: Unsure
Stats: 175/175/160 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

There's nothing wrong with running. Just don't expect to look like more than an emaciated version of your previous self! Go to Google Images and type in "marathon runner". Then, ask yourself if that is really your goal. Next, look up Usain Bolt! He is a sprinter, not a runner, and uses weight and interval training.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, May-04-10, 22:10

Plan: Keto-ish Low Carb
Stats: 420/407/240 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 7%

I agree. If you look at a long distance runner versus a sprinter you will see a difference in tone. A sprinter is usually much more muscular and toned than a long distance runner.

I ordered P90X and will be starting shortly. How is the diet on it?
  #34   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 05:12
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

The diet is straightforward,with many options. It starts with a 2-week low carb initiation and then switches to a balanced plan for the duration. You'll pretty soon learn what to eat and when. It works on a 5 meal per day schedule, so you don't enter a mini-starvation mode.

P90X alternates between "resistance" training days and "cardio" (I hate that word) days. I would recommend, if possible, that you try to do the cardio workouts in the morning on an empty stomach and the resistance workouts later in the day when you have more energy. Doing aerobic on a full stomach is kind of pointless from a fat-burning standpoint, since your body will just go for the most readily available source of energy - which is what you just ate, not your stored fat.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 08:09

Plan: Aspiring Paleo
Stats: 144/136/127 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I just purchased Jillian's Power Yoga and it kicked my butt (and I am in pretty decent shape, a runner, etc.). I still want to order P90X but I think I will wait until I master this a bit more. I was surprised at how difficult the exercises were and how sore I am today. I would imagine P90X would be almost impossible for me.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, May-11-10, 09:32

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 184.0/141.5/152.0 Female 66.25 inches
BF:35%/???/???
Progress: 133%

I doubt it would be inpossible for you. I have never been a runner and never really tackled a serious workout program. I have always been active and had a general knowledge of fitness when I started P90X. I will say I couldn't do 20% of what was asked the first week. I didn't pass the fitness test they suggest before starting. I just keep giving it my best and kept pushing play and now i'd say i'm doing all of most of the DVD's
  #37   ^
Old Tue, May-11-10, 11:01

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

I've been somewhat interested in this too.

But even when I was more fit, pull-ups and chin-ups were not gonna happen.

Do you need a pull-up bar to do P90X? Are there variations?

thanks in advance...
  #38   ^
Old Tue, May-11-10, 11:50

i have a pull up bar, I only started using it on the second round of P90X first round I used the bands. They are an awesome part of the workout. I now use the bar with a chair. I can lower myself slowly from an the upper position of an underhand pull up. That is an improvment. I am so hoping to be able to do some sort of an unassisted pull up by the end of round 2. LOL
  #39   ^
Old Wed, May-19-10, 12:37

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 220/208/195 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default p90x

hi, I'm new here but have had some of the articles on this site bookmarked for years, as I am very interested in low carb theories.

As far as P90X, I did it for over two years and loved it. It is a great investment, and I will probably use workouts from it for the rest of my life. That being said, it is really geared towards certain goals. It is not really designed to make people lose dramatic amounts of weight or gain a lot of muscle. I think it does what it was designed to do very well, which is get people fitter, more toned and stronger.

I have since moved onto a much simpler, and heavier lifting routine that consists of compound muscle group exercises like squats/dead lifts/pushups/pullups etc. I think this is a much quicker path tofunctional strength/size/fitness than P90X, for me anyway.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/250/220 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I'm on my second week. ITs awesome, its hard, my heart pounds, I get real sore. Which is everything I'm looking for in a work out. Its cool to just press play and not have to think about your workout at the gym and since its at home its easy...get powerblocks they're expensive but an investment and worth it. I'm 29 250 and its amazing how out of shape I am. What great about this workout is that you are not just lifting weights and such you are jumping and bending and lifting and doing tons of "akward" movements. Which becomes so telling how out of shape u r. But it also will provide some great results I know it. U can see my before pics on here. I'll put 30 60 90 days. Some people say the workouts are long but not really if it takes yout 10 minutes to get to your gym and you work out for 40 mins all in all thats 60 mins plus gas money. I care more about body composition and just being faster and stronger and feeling better . So far I like it!

I'm eating low carb so we'll see
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 06:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Ryality,

Follow the meal plan - the first few weeks are low carb, but after that just stick to the plan. You'll be needing those carbs and your workouts will suffer if you "run out of gas"....

Just keep pushing play ("KPP").
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 07:08

You will need some extra carb in phase 2 and phase 3. I added the shakeolgy for a few of those carbs then I try to choose other carbs carfully. I add them before working out so that I feel I burn them. I did have to switch to eating 5 mini meals a day to keep up the energy during the last two phases. I'm now on third round, doing doubles. Did lean, then classic so doubles was next, right?
  #43   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 18:52

Stats: 172.0/170.0/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Took the plunge and got P90X, husband and I are starting this along with a lower carb diet today. We both have a lot of room for improvement, and to us losing fat and toning and strengthening muscles are equally important goals. I dont know if I can bring myself to post current pictures, but I'll think about it. For those of you who are thinking about trying it I would be more than happy to update on how its going. I have no preconceived expectations and no bias, i'm just hoping to see something positive in the end!
  #44   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 18:54

Brittastic, I have done two rounds of P90X be sure to take before pictures from all angles and measurements. you may not want to share them now. I didn't share my befored until I saw the results. I will attest to P90X getting me in my best shape ever. Enjoy and follow it as layed out for you. Do your best and forget the rest. I will be watching for updates. Are you starting with the lean or the classic? Surely not doubles to begin with. LOL
  #45   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 19:07

Stats: 172.0/170.0/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I've been reading different blogs and testimonials and I've heard more than once that classic is the way to go, so that's my plan for now. I do plan on taking pictures, i'll take some more modest ones that I can share