Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 20:33
Happy Loser!

Plan: Atkins food, IF 20/4
Stats: 287/238/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thank you, Rosebud! You took the words right out of my mouth

Em
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 20:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think you are totally missing my point, Gee1.
No, people such as the Inuit who live on only meat and fish (not so much these days of course) stay totally healthy. And if you read the link, you will see that Stefansson and Andersen ate mostly meat during their 12 months in Bellevue.

My point is that while vegetables are certainly healthy, you can still be healthy without them. I do not advocate not eating vegies for a minute, but I felt I needed to correct your incorrect statement that you cannot be healthy without vegetables.

I think you may also be misunderstanding LilPunkin about Dr Atkins too. Just because he said to eat 20g carbs, does not mean one cannot be healthy without them.

Anyway, as I have said, I do believe we should all eat up our vegies. I just had to point out that they are not absolutely vital to good health.

Please, read the link.

Rosebud
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:15

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 185/169/163 Female 5'2"
BF:45%/39%/29%
Progress: 73%

My question would be: do the Inuit eat stomach contents? Because if they are eating vegetarian beasts then they would get veggies that way. Most of the "true" carnivores such as wolves and lions must also eat the stomach contents of their vegetarian prey to live.

If not -- they are probably eating a lot of organ meats (where the vitamins and minerals are concentrated), which many in Western culture would not do if living only on meat. And might not be a good idea, considering the heavy-metal concentrations in cow's liver, etc.

I *heart* veggies!
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have never eaten as many various vegetables at any time in my life as I do on Atkins.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:22

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfcare
My question would be: do the Inuit eat stomach contents? Because if they are eating vegetarian beasts then they would get veggies that way. Most of the "true" carnivores such as wolves and lions must also eat the stomach contents of their vegetarian prey to live.

If not -- they are probably eating a lot of organ meats (where the vitamins and minerals are concentrated), which many in Western culture would not do if living only on meat. And might not be a good idea, considering the heavy-metal concentrations in cow's liver, etc.

I *heart* veggies!

They not only eat organ meat but they eat their meat raw, which is much higher in nutrients than cooked meat. Most ( humans or animals ) who rely on animal protein as their main diet staple eat the entire animal. Very little is wasted on an all protein diet.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:29
Registered Member

Stats: 270/194/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 84%
Wink

omnivore and proud of it!
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:37
Registered Member

Stats: 181/181/143 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
I do not advocate not eating vegies for a minute, but I felt I needed to correct your incorrect statement that you cannot be healthy without vegetables.

I think you may also be misunderstanding LilPunkin about Dr Atkins too. Just because he said to eat 20g carbs, does not mean one cannot be healthy without them.:

1. Wihtout any carbs? Of course.I dont disagree with that. But that is not what Lil Punkin meant. Lil Punkins statement was that "Dr. Atkins himself stated that they(vegetables ) are not necessary for health" (not carbs).I personally dont believe Atkins said that. I may be wrong of course,so have asked for some quotes to prove my belief wrong.

2. If you really believe my statement about veggies is incorrect, then just tell me one thing:would you go on a diet of just fish and meat,and if NO, then why not. But do be honest.

I wouldn;t. And I still think veggies/fruit ARE essential for your health, dispite your link. But people have heard both arguments, and will continue believing what they want to and is more sutable for their food taste. So basically I feel that with your link,dispite the fact that you personally eat a lot of veggies, you have simply given some people the amunition to forget vegetables. I know that is not your aim,but we both know some people will take it to the extreme. And that was not the point of this thread. Cos weather Iam right or wrong deep down doesn;t matter.And the fact that vegetables are only good for us,and that we SHOULD and I dare say MUST eat them-does.

Last edited by Gee1 : Sun, Jan-09-05 at 21:45.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:46
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Gee,

Once again, I think you are missing my point. I'm sorry about that, because I am not trying to attack you.

I merely wanted to correct your idea that it is not possible to be healthy without eating vegetables.

Have you read that link yet? Here it is again: http://www.biblelife.org/stefansson1.htm

Would I eat no vegies? Why would I? I have told you several times now, that I actually eat lots and lots of them. However if I were for some reason in a place or position where vegetables were not available, sure, I would have no qualms. But because I know vegies have so many good qualities, I choose to eat them. In generous amounts.

Rosebud

ETA: My post is in answer to what you wrote before you edited.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 22:11
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Hi Gee,Once again, I think you are missing my point.

No, I understood it perfectly well. I just personally (and stubbornly )don;t agree with it.

Quote:
I merely wanted to correct your idea that it is not possible to be healthy without eating vegetables. .

Sinse I still dont think I(or MANY people) would stay healthy if I suddenly ate nothing but fish adn meat, then I still dont think my statement/idea was incorrect. Despite your link.I can see why you do, cos your link techincally proves my statement wrong. However, I personally still dont; believe meat alone is good for you,despite couple of people testing it for a year succesfully. I give high credit to fish, but I believe in vegetables more. I would go vegeterian,but Id never goon a fish diet

Quote:
Would I eat no vegies? Why would I? I have told you several times now, that I actually eat lots and lots of them. .

yes I know. I have even said exactly that in my reply. I have asked you thisquestion for the sake of this argument and becuase you believe that one can be healthy on no vegies, so I wantedtoknow if you'd really do it.

Quote:
ETA: My post is in answer to what you wrote before you edited.

I only edited word HE to Atkins so there is no confusion, and added couple of spaces cos my space bar doesnt work too well.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 22:17
Forum Moderator

BF:

Gee1, this will be my last post in this thread.

You may choose not to believe scientific evidence if you wish (blood tests and other tests done on Stefansson and Andersen during their stay in bellevue proved them to be in excellent health with no deficiencies of any sort), but that doesn't make it any less true.

I wish you much success as you undertake your low carb journey.

Rosebud
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 23:02
Registered Member

BF:

In regards to meat only diet:

Looking at http://www.findarticles.com/p/artic...v29/ai_15908956

Eskimos "have prolonged bleeding times. A nosebleed for these Eskimos is a serious condition. They have a high incidence of cerebral hemorrhage (stroke), and this condition is one of the leading causes of death in the adult population."

And this is typical Vitamin C deficiency. So sorry Rosebud, I did more research so I can find out more about Eskimo diet and perhaps proove myself wrong, but just as I logically thought, vitamin deficency is obvious and dangerous.

"Why Didn't the Traditional Eskimos/Inuit Die Out from Scurvy?"
http://www.mindspring.com/~dougkalb/eskimos.htm

which states most likely Eskimos can make SOME vit C in their body as well as raw fish possibly containing a lil as well. But obviously not nearly enough to RDA, hence a short life span.So yeah I can see why one would be OK for a while on meatdiet, but in a long run, not healthy.

So although this diet is excellent for the heart (as fish is high in Omega 3acids), without vit C (vegetable/fruit), has other rather serious issues.

Thus making my original vegetable comment firmly correct (couldn;t resist )
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 23:05

Stats: 233/201/190 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:waytoomuch
Progress: 74%
Default No veggies?

Had to post here to the person who says they "don't like vegetables:,,,,,,,,,how could you NOT like any vegetables?
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 23:12
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Init4life
Had to post here to the person who says they "don't like vegetables:,,,,,,,,,how could you NOT like any vegetables?

I know! My neighbour is the same! Luckily at least she eats some fruit!

Funny one,in some countries Tomato is considered to be a "fruit"! So there you go,you can think of it as eating fruit!
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 00:35
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Regarding the eskimo, I believe they also eat the bones of the fish too, so that may help.
Oh and tomatoe is a fruit technically because it has seeds. Same goes for avocados
Quote:
Final thought: how long is a lifespan in Eskimos? Who knows if in a long run this diet is not causing some irreperable damage, adn they traditionally die young-ish? Or, quite the opposite! Now that would besomething!

Last edited by MsTwacky : Mon, Jan-10-05 at 00:41.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 04:02
I beat you, Tanita!

Stats: 174/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:13% lower now...

This is my question... where are the people who are eating NO vegetables? I know I've seen some menus that could use a few MORE veggies, but I think it's safe to say that everyone here already understands the role that vegetables play in this WOE.

Aside from those doing the fat fast temporarily, I think all the menus I've seen have included SOME veggies. I don't think the board is just jammed full of people who don't get the concept of vegetables.