Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/227/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default breathing difficulties

I'm not sure if it is the tape I bought or what (it was just a cheapy $8 tape can't recall her name off hand). But I can't get through the breathing patterns she uses. She calls her stratagy BEAM. It's a rolling pelvic breathing that is so difficult I can't keep up with her. Is this just something I have to learn or are the other tapes slightly easier. I have watched the Windsor infomercials and I don't notice this kind of breathing being done.

thanks for the info

HUGGS
aka Lise
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Michael Thurman's 6 wk makeover
Stats: 175/159.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I haven't heard of that, how can you concentrate on the exercises if your try ing to figure out the breathing, I have enough problems trying to do the stuff w/out that!!
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 19:40

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian29
Could I ask how old everyone is who's doing the Pilates? I'm 54--is it suitable for someone this age? Right now I'm walking and tomorrow I have an appt. at the gym to set up a weight-lifting program, but I'd like to do some other things just for variety.

Thanks!

I am 46 and did a Pilates class for 2 years - only once a week. I was the second youngest in class - I would say average was your age. If you possibly can, try to get into a class. Pilates works very specific body parts, and without the class I wouldn't have gotten my shoulder problems worked out right.

I think the Windsor pilates aren't making it clear how much you really sculp on your body - it works, but I worry that it might work the wrong way if done wrongly - you are really manipulating your body.

I would think Pilates is better for a 54 year old than weight lifting. It helps mainly build the abdominal muscles, so it will help against back pain. Weight training tends to build upper body, some also legs - so it may actually good to combine both.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 06:40

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Yall have inspired me to actually get out my Windsor Pilates dvds and actually do them instead of just thinking about it!!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 17:57
Registered Member

Plan: psmf
Stats: 180/159/129 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default 2 different stomachs..

I just started windsor pilates 20 minute tape yesterday. When I woke up this morning, my stomach already looked better. Normally, I have two different parts of my stomach. I have above the belly button (chubby but not too horrible) and below the belly button (much larger. 2 kids, one a c section). So, anyway, today, they actually looked almost the same size! I was very impressed. I cant wait to see more progress!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 11:00

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/235/117 Female 5'4
BF:Mucho Fato!
Progress: 0%

I just had to have Winsor Pilates for Christmas in 2003. I have used it a total of five times! Geez I feel pathetic! Well, this thread inspired me to start again!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 14:01

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have done the 20 minute Winsor type 2 times and the hour one 1 time this week and I can already feel a difference and I was sore this morning!! Yippee!!