Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 15:12

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
So how does one brush one's face? Down toward the heart? Up, away from the heart? I'm actually pretty intrigued with the whole idea but having a hard time visualizing it. And how long should the whole procedure take?

I scrub my face in a light downward direction. Ears the same. Have to go easy. The armpits seem to be more sensitive than the face, IMO.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 15:33

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
So... are there any before and after pictures of the miracles dry brushing performs? Just curious... seems like with all these positive results there should be some evidence on the internet somewhere.

Quote:
Well, I suppose we could ask Eos to show us her evidence, but that might be asking a bit much. It's not that kind of forum!

Naah, am not shy. What is there to hide?
It’s just that I don’t have success story pics yet. 40% to go.

You might look at t-tapp.com,success stories section, e.g. this one , since near all people there combine t-tapp with DBB (aka CRT body brushing), and as you may well see from the pics, despite losing many sizes, ppl don’t have loose skin, it’s all fit & fabulous.

Face brushing by Teresa Tapp's pattern (4-8 strokes each part, like body brushing):
1.Starting from below brush your cheeks with strokes towards the ears.
2.(optional) Ears to the sides.
3.Then brush the nose downwards (first central part, then the sides).
4.Brush the central part of the forehead upwards. Then the sides of the forehead towards the temples.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleogal
Towards the heart and then down towards the abdomen and then clockwise following your large intestine.

Oops! In ten years of daily dry skin brushing I've only ever brushed completely randomly. Looks like I've been doing it wrong .

Seriously though, just choose a natural bristle brush that isn't so stiff that whatever part of your body that is being brushed will feel uncomfortable, and brush for as long as short as you have the time. Sometimes I'll brush for 15 minutes while sitting watching TV. It is a bit addictive. And I've never followed any 'rules' except that it should feel good and not actually scratch your skin.

Towards your heart? In the opposite direction to gravity makes a bit more sense IMHO .
  #34   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 18:03
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
Be sure to do your left leg with your right hand while standing in a pool of cold water and while reciting ancient tantras - it helps the placebo effect!

I'm reading with interest. A holistic practitioner I'm acquainted with recommended this technique years ago. I dabbled then let it go. But I want to try again. I just ordered a "Tampico Skin Brush" by Yerba Prima on amazon. Who knows if it's any better than any other, but it was only $7 something with shipping, so why not.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 10:13

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos[B
Face brushing by Teresa Tapp's pattern [/B] (4-8 strokes each part, like body brushing):
1.Starting from below brush your cheeks with strokes towards the ears.
2.(optional) Ears to the sides.
3.Then brush the nose downwards (first central part, then the sides).
4.Brush the central part of the forehead upwards. Then the sides of the forehead towards the temples.

Thanks! THat helps
  #36   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 03:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Thanks! THat helps

Glad to be of service.
Learnt from other t-tappers that it even helps combat wrinkles , I honestly cannot attest to it, as luckily don’t have any (thanx to my HF eating and former living in permafrost region ).
The only relevant experience I can share is that it has helped to tame my large-pored T-zone.

Eager to hear your coming story!
  #37   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 08:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Might be your age has something to do with it too. Despite what commercials on TV say, wrinkles before the mid to late 40's aren't typical.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 12:54

BF:

Quote:
Might be your age has something to do with it too. Despite what commercials on TV say, wrinkles before the mid to late 40's aren't typical.

What about my age, huh? Am all-ripe and mature .
I believe it is hard to draw up arithmetical mean between age and wrinkles correlation. It’s so different, with many factors involved, among which I consider not so much right eating as a priority, not even body brushing , but lack of ceaseless stress.
The Russian female who had to get over perestroika times, rationing system and struggled to feed their family (standind in queues for hours, days even, going to bed and waking up with the same thought “What’s for eating today? What’s for eating tomorrow? Where can I get it?”), no wonder were they prone to wrinkles development, got them in early 30-ies.
Those were scary times, really. How fair it has finally changed and there’s no need now for endless calculating and searching. Supermarkets everywhere. Just get ready to pay.

All that being said, relaxing and meditation techniques should be included in Paleo Beauty secrets section
  #39   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 13:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Your profile says you're in your 20's. I think you've got awhile to enjoy your youth. Although I do know sun-worshippers look a bit wrinkled, I can't think of anyone I knew that was < 40 with anything even remotely approaching wrinkles, give or take a few leathery sun-birds.

Even at my age, the wrinkles aren't bad, it's the sag...
  #40   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 15:39

BF:

Quote:
Your profile says you're in your 20's. I think you've got awhile to enjoy your youth.

I have. Just a few more years to live recklessly
Quote:
Although I do know sun-worshippers look a bit wrinkled,
Agree to sun overexposure. Thanx for another point to explain the reason I have no wrinkles First I’ve been living in ice-cold, monsoon climate, now in relatively hot, but still not too sunny, moist one.
Seems to me it has definitely something to do with Ainu smooth faces, they had very little wrinkles in late age, not like the Inuits….. and (!) though not relevant but still worth to be mentioned, they had wonderful voluminous hair, elderly ppl with a wealth of hair and macho body
Quote:
the wrinkles aren't bad, it's the sag...

3 guesses what helps against the sag?
  #41   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 07:39

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Does it make a difference when one dry brushes? I ask because I don't know if we're talking relaxation or stimulation, which would make a difference in how to proceed, I think.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 08:13

BF:

Stimulation or relaxation? I find it invigorating brushing in the mornings before a hot, then cold, shower. I'm up to brushing every other day now and next week it'll be every morning. I've only been doing it a short time, but already my skin feels tighter and smoother, and has a better color tone.

I could see how it could be relaxing as well. Definitely addictive.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 08:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/164/128 Female 5 feet, 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm going to be honest, I tried this whole skin brusing thing, and it doesn't do a thing for me. Just seems like a lot of extra trouble. I have to admit I haven't been doing it on a regular schedule or anything, just when I remember, but it doesn't stimulate or relax me. Am I doing something wrong??
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 08:53

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

To follow up on Holly's question, what is the procedure? Start from feet up to abdomen? Then head to abdoman, in each situation brushing towards heart? Are these short strokes? Long strokes? Number 5 need input.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 09:08

BF:

Eos has prescribed an elaborate way of doing dry skin brushing. I have a much more simple technique.

-Try to always brush toward the heart:
Sometimes this is confusing. What about the area around the heart? Should it be neglected? I think not, but I think the idea is IN GENERAL go toward the heart.
-Where to start?:
I start at the bottom of my feet, outwards to the sides in quick strokes. Working up through the ankles and so on, alternating each leg every 6 inches or so.
It is about half way up the legs that the "glowing" feeling begins. If you're not beginning to feel something by this time, you're either doing it incorrectly or you're one tough shell. I do brush rather vigorously, and lightly on the more sensitive areas like arm pits. It just seems to work it's wonders and is more invigorating than a shower.
Time?:
5-10 minutes. No more. I've got a kid to get to school!