Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#361   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 07:24
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lift:

Have you ever used Spenco 2nd skin? I've used it for blisters, burns, cuts.... you name it. It provides a gel-like protective coating so it doesn't hurt. Takes the sting right out of burns.

I have high arches, so I'm forever getting blisters on my heal. I cut/scraped my heal a couple of months ago and it worked like a charm. If your heel's still sore today, the 2nd skin should definately reduce the pressure on it.

Hope you heal fast!

Wanda

Spenco 2nd Skin (it looks like their product line's changed from what I have but I'm assuming it works even better).
Sponsored Links
  #362   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 07:53
Mad Scientist

BF:

Lift, I have kind of a tough question for ya!

I've always refused to go below 1000-1200 calories b/c they say it slows down metabolism, catabolizes muscle, blah, blah, blah....

Anyway, after going to my dentist the other day, I went below 1,000 calories b/c I couldn't eat, but I made sure to keep my protein high with cottage cheese and protein shakes. So basically what I was low on was carbs and fat. I lost .4 lb the following morning. Yesterday, I was about 1,000 calories plus 324 calories of fish oil (this was due to circumstances out of my control) and I'm down another .4 lbs. I'm totally happy but.....

The question is, given my inability to lose weight on normal calories, did I lose fat or muscle? I'm wondering maybe if I'm keeping calories too high based on a slow metabolism. If I kept calories around 1,000 calories (I'd only be able to do it on LC days for obvious reasons) but lost less than 1 lb/week, I wouldn't be losing muscle, would I? Obviously, I don't want to sacrifice my muscle.

I'm confused b/c I'm not sure that my metabolism conforms to the "average" person.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Sep-25-04 at 10:29.
  #363   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

you know I am going to go against what everyone else says and tell youthat you probably cando this for a period of time and not have to worry about losing your muscle. I have days where I eat alot less, and I think at a non competitivelevel we really should not worry about this to a certain degree...you can avoid the metabolism slowdow by having a few days at your reduced calorie level and then having a high calorie spike that is a few hundred over that level. Also, as we get older the number of calories we need declines so given that and your other issues I would say that if you stick to the carb cycling where you are getting adequete ratios of carbs and proteins lowereing your calories is not going to hurt you.

oh and most likely it was water or fat burned not muscle.
  #364   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 10:29
Mad Scientist

BF:

Cool, I wanted to make sure it was OK. As you say, it's not like I'd be doing it every day.

I'm totally excited now. I think this is going to really work! With all the protein, I'm not hungry at all on the low calorie day. That's the beauty of it.

Thanks Lift!

Wanda
  #365   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 13:16

Plan: my own (like the Zone)
Stats: 140/131.0/126 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:maybe 15% not real
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftnlady
you know I am going to go against what everyone else says and tell youthat you probably cando this for a period of time and not have to worry about losing your muscle. I have days where I eat alot less, and I think at a non competitivelevel we really should not worry about this to a certain degree...you can avoid the metabolism slowdow by having a few days at your reduced calorie level and then having a high calorie spike that is a few hundred over that level. Also, as we get older the number of calories we need declines so given that and your other issues I would say that if you stick to the carb cycling where you are getting adequete ratios of carbs and proteins lowereing your calories is not going to hurt you.

oh and most likely it was water or fat burned not muscle.

This is exactly what I do most all of the the time. High calorie weekends and low calorie week days. I have not lost any muscle.
By the way, regarding what you put in my journal about the percentage of bodyfat needed, I did some research and 12% is an average. My body is still operating as it did prior to the fat loss. But I don't think I will go any lower. It is getting too cold and I am having some major cravings.
  #366   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

I'm doing something similar with my carb cycles - higher calorie for the carbups, lower calorie for the carb downs. I actually think this is a LOT more natural to the body than eating exactly the same thing and the same amounts all day every day.
  #367   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 13:36
Mad Scientist

BF:

Thanks everyone. It helps to know that going below 1,000 calories a couple of times a week during my low carb/calorie cycle won't kill my metabolism.

Wanda
  #368   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 08:08
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Lift:
Quote:
shoulders are a tricky one, they are actually a very small muscle group and as such do not need really heavy weight, more strict form. They are the one muscle group you do not want to go too heavy on any way because they are prone to injury.
Thanks for the word of caution. I've had rotator cuff injuries twice before which I don't want to experience again. The first time was from doing upright rows and the 2nd time was from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy caused by a cortisone injection in the wrist. I still have problems with the joint clicking, esp when I do Incline DB bench press and flat DB bench press. The barbell stabalizes it better.

I have a hard time increasing weight on the laterals. I don't think I've ever been able to increase the weight. I go between 8 or 10lbs. Seems like I was lifting the same weight when I was going through physio for my shoulder. So I get frustrated. I'll hold in the reins.

Quote:
Standing also makes it harder...if you feel like you back is tweaking a bit try these seated instead, you will find you can lift more weight sitting than standing...and your back will not feel it as much.
My back feels ok, but I may switch to sitting since my routine needs to be changed a bit. Or would those face pulls be a better one? I've noticed you and Built do them.

How's the heel?

Thanks Lift! Have a great Sunday!

Wanda
  #369   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 09:43
Registered Member

Mornign Wanda...yeah laterals are one you will nover go that heavy on, I only use about 15lbs, and if my arms are tired even less, most big guys use maybe a 25lb dumbell...so do not worry about increasing on those.

Seated is a good option, the face pulls are for the rear delts not the side delts ....so I would not worry about those right now until you stop doing the circuits

Hope you are having a good weekend as well.
  #370   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Yeah, I go even lighter than you manly ones on the side laterals - between 8 and 10 pounds for most of the work that I do, and I often superset them in with Arnies.
  #371   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 12:10
Mad Scientist

BF:

OK, the downside of having a home gym is that I have no one to compare myself to. What the heck have I been frustrated for! Definately glad I brought it up.

Wanda
  #372   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 11:24
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hey Lift! Have a great Monday!

How's the heel? Hope it's heeling fast.

Hugs
red
  #373   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 22:05
Registered Member

9/27

well this is my last week of workouts before my hiatus...just doing maintenance really.

Seated Dumbell Curls
20 x 6 x 3

Seated DB Press
20 x 12
25 x 8
25 x 8

Lateral Raises
15 x 8 x 3

Assisted Dips
40 x 8 x 2

Tri Press downs-drop sets
50 x 5
40 x 8
30 x 8

Rope Face Pulls on swiss ball
60 x 8 x 1

Reverse Pec Dec
40 x 10
40 x 8

Cable Preacher Curls
20 x 12
30 x 8
  #374   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 07:55
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Lift! Workout looks great, as usual. Have a great day.

Quote:
well this is my last week of workouts before my hiatus...just doing maintenance really.
How will you be eating on your hiatus?

red
  #375   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 09:40
Registered Member

hey red....Probably like I am doing now...kinda free form...I have not been counting calories just eating healthy food I know are good for me...so for instance my diet this week has been
I am actaully losing weight because I am not eating as many calories and this keeps me full. When I start workoing out again I will add alittle more protein back into the diet

meal 1 2 slices flax bread, 1 tblspoon Powerbutter peanut butter, 1 Tbls SF jam. 1 1/12 scoops nectar

meal 2 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup ricotta, 1/2 oz almonds, SF vanilla syrup, nectarines...mixed together

meal 3 usually chicken and some veggie, yam or low carb tortilla

meal 4 apple..sometimes with peanut butter

meal 5 depending on how hungry I am...some steak and veggies, an omlette or total low carb cereal with hood low carb milk