Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#331   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 12:44

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I realize that we are all taking a synthetic version of CLA.. Has anyone heard of the side effects of it? Such as increasing the risk of insulin resistance, reducing HDL cholesterol, and raising glucose levels? This can increase your chances of diabetes... I'm still going to take it for a short time and hope I'm okay.
Sponsored Links
  #332   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 22:03

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%

I've heard some of the risks for diabetics - my husband has his sugar way under control, but he tests every morning. We both just started on CLA, and I told him to keep a tight eye on the readings. Nothing yet, but he hasn't taken a full dose yet (we're been uneven about meals and consistency so far).

S
  #333   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 08:58
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I wanted to chime in here on the CLA experiment. I took 3 grams a day for about 2 years. I had been struggling to take off 10 lbs for almost that long. I did take 3 grams. of Tonalin CLA faithfully but didn't see that it did a lot for me.

I started taking it because I don't eat meat. Red meat is rich in CLA and I thought if I took it I would see some results. Also having managed a vitamin store I thought I would try it with my customers. To be honest.....my customers saw no result either. The customers weren't willing to modify their diet and exercise. I was but still had no luck until I cut my cals down to no more then 1200 per day and quit exercising obsessively. I now do 20 min HIIT and lift weights just three times a day instead of 6 days of working out. I do walk my dogs a minimum of 1 mile 1-3 times a day also. I have experimented a great deal and FINALLY found something that actually works for me.

I haven't taken any CLA in about a month and now my weight is coming down. Not sure if it is because I quit taking CLA or because I have reduced my calories (probably the real reason) but for whatever reason the scale has been moving downward now and I am happy.

HN
  #334   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 09:12

BF:

CLA is found in really small amounts in red meat because hardly any meat found at the store is grass fed anymore. Those are the animals that have the CLA in them.
  #335   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 02:32

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I began the Fat Flush Plan 19 days ago and meant to buy GLA to begin with, but bought CLA (which I meant to start later on) instead by mistake. I bought it on the net, so I didn't want to return it.

I take 2000 mg per day and over one week I have had the following results:

Lost inches:
Top roll: 2.5
Waist: 1
Tummy: 2.5
Hips: 0

I forget to do the relaxed measurements, but I wasn't sucking it in really, because I was concentrating on getting the tape around me correctly ... no time for sucking in.
  #336   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 11:07

Plan: Carnivore/IF
Stats: 346/298/248 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

OK! OK! I know that it has only been a couple of days since I measured the last stats, but I couldn't help myself! I was hoping for another huge loss of inches, but unfortunately there was no change. I mean I guess I should have known that. Well I will TRY to hold out until next Monday at the next weigh in. I just thought I would use this post for confession. I am so weak sometimes!!
  #337   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 08:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
I realize that we are all taking a synthetic version of CLA.. Has anyone heard of the side effects of it? Such as increasing the risk of insulin resistance, reducing HDL cholesterol, and raising glucose levels? This can increase your chances of diabetes... I'm still going to take it for a short time and hope I'm okay.

It's synthetic? My bottle states that it is safflower oil ( I think... I don't have it with me right now). Also my bottle states to take 3 tabs (1000mg) with a meal... so I have been taking 3 at one time with my meal... is this something that should be taken 1 tab 3 x a day or is doing it all at once OK?? Thanks!
  #338   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 08:35

BF:

I don't know about how many you should take at once.. I guess it wouldn't matter as long as you're getting it. I meant synthetic in a way that we're not getting it in naturally (through grass fed cows, for example, but in pill form). I'm going to stop taking CLA for a little while. I hear the results don't much show on the scale, which I don't understand at all, and I have an increased risk for IR and CLA can cause IR. We'll see if I lose weight, now. I've been stuck for quite some time.
  #339   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 22:39

Plan: ---
Stats: 199/189/165 Female 179cm
BF:39/33,7/25
Progress: 29%

I'm back to post my results - 3 weeks of taking 3000mg CLA every day.

Unfortunately I can't say it did anything for me. LC-ing doesn't work so well this time around either. Didn't lose any weight during the 3 weeks, and measurments are as follows.

Waist: 05/04 ...... 05/25
- narrowest: 31 ....... 32 (+ 1)
- widest: 38 ....... 37 (- 1)
Hips: 40,5 ....... 41 (+ 0.5)
  #340   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 07:02

BF:

This week losses in inches:
Top roll: 1
Waist: .75
Lower roll: 1.75
Hips: .25

Total loss for the month in inches:
Top roll: 4
Waist: 1.5
Lower roll: 5
Hips: 1.25

I think this is pretty great considering that I've lost 1.8 lbs. in the last month. And TOM is looming in the near future, like Thursday.
  #341   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 02:06

BF:

This week's loss in inches:
Top roll: .5
Waist: 1
Tummy: .75
Hips: .75
Total loss for the week: 3"

Loss for the five weeks in inches:
Top roll: 4.5
Waist: 2.5
Tummy: 5.75
Hips: 2
Total loss for five weeks: 14.75"
  #342   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 02:21

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Nice result Lisa!
  #343   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 02:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel33
Nice result Lisa!

Thanks, Annabel!

I bought the CLA by mistake. I was wanting GLA. Anyway, it was a good mistake. After I finish up this bottle, I may have to wait a bit before buying more. I can say it's been a good run so far.
  #344   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 02:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel33
Nice result Lisa!

Thanks, Annabel!

I bought the CLA by mistake. I was wanting GLA. Anyway, it was a good mistake. After I finish up this bottle, I may have to wait a bit before buying more. I can say it's been a good run so far.
  #345   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-07, 13:27

Plan: Atkins/ME
Stats: 145/140/130 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 33%

Hi everyone: I bought CLA today and took some already. I am hopeful to see some results!!! I do work out a lot (run, Bikram yoga) and hope this will re-start things for me again!!!!
I'll be chacking in a lot!!
Thanks!
Cindy