Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 17:26
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 237/224/156
BF:45.40% ????
Progress: 16%
Default a depressed daughter here too

Dina,

I read your story and I can so relate to what you are saying about how you are living through your daughter.

I remember all the times I was teased and told things in school that I dont want her to get hurt the same way. SHe told me the other day that she literally feels like a whale walking to school. She compares herself to all the skinny can eat anything and everything girls and wants to be like them.

Her father is 6'3 and I am 5'8 we both have big bones. Her father when she sees him constantly calls her his Big Girl and she has such a problem with that. I have to be so careful and not say gosh I cant believe hoe big you are getting, even though it is not what she think it is. She really is not obese, she is about 20 pounds overweight. She is tall for 12 and I think she is still learning what to do with all those leggs and hdight you know.

she has developed to a c cup so far and has such a porblem with that. If I have to pee or something while she is in the shower or whatever she makes sure the curtain is so closed that not even a chance of and accidental peek is there. I also notice that she closes the mirror it s a trifold so that she cant see herself and then she puts a towel on it so there is no sight of herself naked.

I know what you are going through., my mom has a weight problem but she never made me feel bad for myself, for that I am lucky. I havent always been oeverweight. I was chunky before puberty but once that was over I had boobs and hips that I would kill for now, it is after babies and divorce that I have gotten this way. Thank God I have a wonderful husband now that loves me for me not the weight I am. He is very supportive.

Well God bless in you troubles with her and try to think positively. I know easier said than done.

Love
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 18:34
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

At dinner tonigh my son volunteered, "I am really trying to keep up with all the work in my classes this semester." There has been such a change in his attitude since he started at the community college. I think there is hope, even for problems that seem unsolvable while we are in the midst of them. I think I may even finally be resolving my own eating problems at the age of 45!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 09:12

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 235/138/130
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default thread of commonality

Wow..when I'm reading all of this, it all seems so familiar
I do not have children but I would like to have one within the next five years. I was wondering how I was going to handle my future child's weight.

Both my husband and I were extreemly overweight as teens and our early 20s. We both lost 100 pounds each. For me, it was changing my diet and lifestyle. For him, it was switching from coke to diet coke. (lucky man!)Anyway, we both went through a hard time because we were so heavy. I wouldn't want my future child to go though that so part of me imagins myself as a food czar.

On the other hand, I remember all the battles with my georgous(125pound) mother, who although loves me with everything she has, totaly screwed me up when it came to my weight. Now that i'm at an acceptable weight, my relationship with my mom is really good....but shallow because it took my weightloss to get her to be cool with me again.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 245/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:whole/heckuva/lot
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up Overweight children

My six year old daughter is overweight. She is built just like my younger sister. Hannah is very tall, she is as tall as the 4th graders in her school (she's a kindergartner).

I have tried SO hard to not make an issue about her weight. She was a ten pound baby and has been "chubby" her entire life. This past year she seems to have really gained weight. I have also noticed a change in her eating habits. I slowly incorporated a lc way of eating for her and it has helped tremendously!

I love my daughter with all of my heart and I don't want her to suffer needless health problems or cruel teasing. I guess I've done a good job not making her weight an issue because she sees no reason why she shouldn't wear a two-piece swimsuit again this summer, like her toothpick cousin!

I exercise regularly and I told her that only "grown-up" girls get to exercise, but if she behaved very well, I *might* take her with me....that was all it took! She jumps on a mini-trampoline while I do the treadmill and we do yoga together. It's a fun mother-daughter thing...it also give my husband and son some time together!
Well, enough rambling,
Michelle